Yamaha SMAX competitor to the PCX is now live.

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Yamaha SMAX competitor to the PCX is now live.

Post by kcpcx »

Now on the Yamaha website for 2015. Interesting.

Initial thoughts vs. PCX:

Way heavier.
Slightly more power.
Flat floor will appeal to some.
Wheels/tires one inch smaller.
MPG looks weak.

http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/ ... /home.aspx
'88 BMW R100RT
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Yamaha SMAX competitor to the PCX is now live.

Post by homie »

I like it for the large front and rear disc brakes, wide tires, windscreen and LED's... but Chief says 20 miles less mpg on 2 gallon tank than PCX, smaller 13" wheels, external turn signals, step through design and yet more money. That was before he really kicked it to the curb for a big stupid HUMP in the seat.
mac&chief2.png
The Smax
it looks fun, and it is... but it isn't a PCX
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

There will be no market for it here in the UK because most people ride scooters on a CBT provisional license, which allows you to ride a bike not exceeding 125CC in power. That's why the Xmax is more popular here.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Fugly! The focal point? Guts and lots of it showing. It takes away from the scoot? See for yerself, then Go Look at your PCX to feel MUCH better ;) either go all out guts (like peep Das :D ) or pull some more covers up!
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (49.54 KiB) Viewed 3309 times
Last edited by WhiteNoise on Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

In fairness, looks a lot better in blue than the bland gray.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/ ... erica.html

Rear disc. Check the painted calipers. Nice detail.

A lot of people are big on a flat floor in front.
'88 BMW R100RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^^ I know, for petrol carriers and shopping bags or kiddies or kitty cats or puppies or very big feet's! :lol: Plus!! There's No WHITE! That will never do :D
Okay, I admit the blue IS a nice color blue. It is. ;)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Hmm...

Yam has more rear susp travel, Honda more fork travel.

Overall, I think the weight will negate any small hp advantage vs. the PCX. I like the PCX's 14" wheels better than 13" on the Yam. Looks like a major fuel econ advantage for the PCX as well. 40+ pounds is a lot of weight on this size scoot.

From a sales standpoint, I think the Yam will have some appeal. Take a customer, show them the flat floor, the easy fuel filler location, and the rear disc brake. Quote them a horsepower number slightly higher than the PCX...

Now, the wise customer would say, yeah, but the thing is 40 pounds heavier! That is a huge difference on a 300 pound machine...and a rear disc is pretty meaningless on a scoot of this size.

The average person probably won't think that far ahead, though. They won't even ask how much the thing weighs.

If I was the Honda sales guy, I'd say, sure, you have a flat floor. But you'll carry your cargo under this huge seat. And speaking of seats, the 2015 PCX seat looks like it would fit better. That Yam seat has a big drop off between driver and passenger that you can't remove. So forget sliding back a little. Have fun with that 1hp increase when you have to drag 40 extra pounds around with you. Oh, and enjoy those little 13" wheels.

It will be an interesting shoot out.

The factory screen looks decent on the SMAX but who knows how good it really is.

One huge thing in the Honda's favor is cheap parts. They practically give them away in the US. Not sure what Yamaha SMAX parts will cost. Again, most consumers don't research this in advance of purchase.
'88 BMW R100RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well if shoppers of scoots are comparing models and they happen to read your post right here, right now :P They will know better! ;) and...perhaps thank ye later. Very cool 8)
PCX has SO much in it's favor.

Just in case lurkers are lurking:
Sitting on the fence folks? Test ride one, then you'll know. And...Bring yer wallet :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I do like disc brakes and pretty calipers, you know if they ever figure out how to disengage that belt in the CVI when braking with disc like a motorcycle when pulling the clutch we scooter riders are going over the handle bars :) unless we get ABS in 2017.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

So it's the SMAX and not the xc155 now... :|
Well anyway I like the looks, but I wonder where all that extra weight is coming from :? if anything it should be lighter than a PCX...
sidenote:
The new Forza 125 with 14.5hp from a 125 and 15" front wheel maybe the future of the PCX...
I wonder how much hp a 150 Forza(future 150 PCX I bet) would make :o

I still want a 200cc machine in middleweight size (dreaming now)... 8) :lol:
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Yeah, ideally I think I'd want the PCX form factor with a 200cc engine. Until gasoline reaches $5 a gallon in the USA, I don't think you'll see it. Frankly, I know this is heresy, but I'd kinda welcome higher fuel prices in the US. It would drive the market toward more efficient choices.

A 250cc version of the SH150i would probably come close to my ideal scoot.

The Burgman 200 is out now here in the States, but it's around 360 pounds or 163kg. That's a lot heavier than the PCX, so that extra 50cc is probably somewhat negated. Once you cross 350 pounds and on the way to 400, you lose a lot of the appeal of a scooter. Part of the beauty of a lighter scoot like the PCX is that it's easy to move around the garage, not too much of a beast.

I'd like to see a scoot no more than 300 pounds with a 200-250cc engine.

Yamaha could have potentially trumped Honda had they outfitted that SMAX with about 20 more cc than the PCX, and kept the weight down a little. Probably global considerations behind sticking with a 150 engine size.
'88 BMW R100RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

kcpcx wrote:I'd like to see a scoot no more than 300 pounds with a 200-250cc engine.
Agree. Would want.
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

kcpcx wrote: A 250cc version of the SH150i would probably come close to my ideal scoot.
I wholeheartedly agree.