Said goodbye to my PCX this weekend.

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

JoshM
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 VStrom 650

Said goodbye to my PCX this weekend.

Post by JoshM »

When I bought my PCX in February of 2014, I told the dealership to let me know if they get a V-Strom 650 in stock. I called multiple times about it, they called me a couple times, but nothing. Finally, on Friday, Nov 7, the salesman called me and told me they just got 2015 in. I told him to have it put together by 10am Saturday morning.

I got to the dealership around 10:15am (breakfast was good... had to sit a few extra minutes to let it digest) and was told it wasn't quite ready. But, while I waited, I was offered a test ride on an FZ-07, FZ-09 and a Ninja 650. All were fun and great bikes... just not what I wanted. The minute I pulled back into the parking lot with the Ninja 650, the Strom was pulling out of the service area. It was love at first sight. A beautiful blue that shimmered in the sun with nice flat black finishes to really accentuate the blue.

Looked at it, rode it, let the salesman know that I'd think about it. He threw some numbers at me and I told him again that I'd think about it. He came back with another set of numbers that I would have been foolish to walk away from. So, I gave him the title and keys to the PCX and rode the V-Strom home!

There will be times I will miss the PCX (mainly the underseat storage), but the V-Strom has been a "must have" since I saw my first one nearly 10 years ago. I thought about used, but they were all still $5000+ for the older generation (pre-2012) that I could find within a reasonable distance.

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Said goodbye to my PCX this weekend.

Post by yak »

How much did they give you for the PCX? Were you tempted to try to sell it on Craigslist or online for more money? What was the price (before trade-in) on the V-Strom? What use do you have for the 650 that your PCX couldn't do well? Will you come back here to this forum to update us?
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Hey Yak,

Trade in on the PCX was $2000. I probably could have got a few hundred more selling myself... but I'll gladly take a 10% loss to not have to deal with Craigslist people. Plus, the tax benefits probably erased any loss.

My commute to work is nothing but hills and curves. I would slow to under the posted limit on most of the hills. ~10 miles of my daily commute are at a posted limit of 50mph. I was WOT and still holding up traffic. The V-strom just purrs right along at any speed I want to ride. It will also go faster than I care to ride. My average MPG for the PCX was under 80 due to constantly having to be WOT. My hope witht he V-Strom will be high 50s to mid 60s since it won't be working nearly as hard. My wife will also be able to comfortably ride along with the V-Strom.

Don't get me wrong, the PCX is a wonderful machine. Just not wonderful for me.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Nice choice... can I ask why you didn't like the Ninja 650? Had my eye on the little 650 for a while as a crazy stupid bike I don't need but the're only 7,200.
http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-650-ABS
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

I would actually get the Ninja 650 over the FZ siblings. I love the Ninja. Excellent, nearly bullet-proof, engine, comfortable ergos, good price, etc. Although the Ninja is a bit more pressure on the wrists, it wasn't terrible like the true sport bikes.

However, it mainly came down to 2-up comfort. My wife was not as comfortable on the Ninja as the V-Strom.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JoshM wrote:However, it mainly came down to 2-up comfort. My wife was not as comfortable on the Ninja as the V-Strom.
Yep happy wife, happy life. So I guess you will be mounting a GIVI on the back?
Sad to see you go... we're all waving goodbye to you in your rearview, so there is that
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Still weighing the options for top case.

I'll still be around. I like this place too much to just up and leave.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

JoshM wrote:I'll still be around. I like this place too much to just up and leave.
But that's not how it works, that's not how any of this works. You have to move over to Suzuki chat. We can't talk about politics, religion or Suzuki's in here. You must ride off into the sunset... there are formalities.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You should be able to at least keep in contact with Dave. He has a nice Strom 650. I sat on it. It rides high so I was on tip toes, but it looks great. Look up the link if you haven't seen it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Dave is maddiedog, right?

It is quite high, for sure. I have a 32" inseam and I can plant roughly 1/2 of both feet down at the same time. If it were 1/2" taller, I wouldn't own it. There are multiple ways to lower it (suspension, seat, etc) if needed.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

I'm envious. I was looking at Suzuki Boulevard S40's last year. $5,500. Did that model tempt you at all? Is the V Strom worth the $10,000? Maybe i should ask you that question in 6 months.
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Yeah, starting to get the itch myself. Something tells me when Spring 2015 rolls around, my PCX150 may get replaced with this: http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VULCAN-S-ABS

It'd be my first motorcycle, but I just cannot stop thinking about it. Not too powerful, ABS option, adjustable handlebar and pedals for a short guy like me... and I absolutely love the looks of it in matte black.

I'd miss my PCX terribly, as it was my first bike and I've decked it out nicely, but that itch to ride something a little more powerful is getting very itchy.

Or, you know... I keep both. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

dustin91 wrote:Yeah, starting to get the itch myself. Something tells me when Spring 2015 rolls around, my PCX150 may get replaced with this: http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VULCAN-S-ABS

It'd be my first motorcycle, but I just cannot stop thinking about it. Not too powerful, ABS option, adjustable handlebar and pedals for a short guy like me... and I absolutely love the looks of it in matte black.

I'd miss my PCX terribly, as it was my first bike and I've decked it out nicely, but that itch to ride something a little more powerful is getting very itchy.
Yes, there is room and use for both :D Days you want to shift and days you don't.
Then if you find out later you are just not choosing the scooter... let her go :cry:
I would even like to test drive the 300cc Kaw sport bike http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-Ninja-300-ABS
How can you not like it?
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

yak wrote:I'm envious. I was looking at Suzuki Boulevard S40's last year. $5,500. Did that model tempt you at all? Is the V Strom worth the $10,000? Maybe i should ask you that question in 6 months.
I've had cruisers in the past. The S40 has never been near the top of any list of mine, personally. The S40 is simply outdated.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

dustin91 wrote:Yeah, starting to get the itch myself. Something tells me when Spring 2015 rolls around, my PCX150 may get replaced with this: http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/2015-VULCAN-S-ABS

I, too, think the Vulcan S will be a good seller. It's, in my opinion, a great beginner cruiser. Not too powerful or large, 3-way ergo configuration from the factory for short to tall riders. However, the foot-forward position just isn't comfortable for me for more than ~50 miles at a time.
Ratster
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ratster »

Congratulations! My PCX parks right beside my Weestrom in the garage.
JoshM
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JoshM »

Ratster wrote:Congratulations! My PCX parks right beside my Weestrom in the garage.
Cool! If I had the room, I probably would have kept the PCX. But, on top of the lack of space, I felt that the PCX would be left sitting too long and often to really keep it.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow Josh! I'm surprised to read this after selling my screen to you just a few weeks ago. Now your PCX is sold. Guess things didn't work out as planned. (Sh)It happens.

8) But Wait!! Look what You just bought! Holy Smoker's...What a freakin' Beauty! Love love the color! Looks like I could touch down fine on that bike. What's the seat height?
Yeah, Dave (maddiedog) and his best buddy have one. This contagious? :lol:
Good luck with it, and (hahaha)....watch yer speed :lol:
Hell no! :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Wow Josh! I'm surprised to read this
Good luck with it, and (hahaha)....watch yer speed :lol:
Hell no! :D
One flew over the cuckoo's nest :cry:
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

JoshM wrote:I, too, think the Vulcan S will be a good seller. It's, in my opinion, a great beginner cruiser. Not too powerful or large, 3-way ergo configuration from the factory for short to tall riders. However, the foot-forward position just isn't comfortable for me for more than ~50 miles at a time.
I'm hoping it'll be a good fit for me, as I am a shorter rider, and suspect the foot position won't be *too* forward for me for that configuration. I like that it it's a good beginner engine, liquid-cooled, chain-driven, ABS option, and certainly from a reputable name and well-priced.

I wish my PCX dealer carried Kawasaki though... the dealer 5 miles from him does, but doesn't seem to have as good a reputation for sales or service. Worst case, I take it back to my PCX guy, or see if he can find a way to score me one.