Workbench(es)

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Workbench(es)

Post by WhiteNoise »

Get Off The Floor!!
Getting harder to change oil and the like? It is for me :| Did a google for some workbench ideas. This link popped up from another forum where bikers requested the same. Here are some creative ways they found to get the job(s) done @ http://www.southbayriders.com/forums/threads/122347/ Thank you South Bay Riders ;)
Anybody here care to share their bench ideas, designs, or finds? Would appreciate it :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Workbench(es)

Post by Taz »

Not a bench but when I was a student in England and had 2 bikes at the same time and did my own maintenance, I was lucky to have a garage with a work pit in it, around 4 feet deep. Never had a pit since though :(
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

A friend of mine has just bought four old hospital beds. He paid £40 each. He's made a plywood base, two he left alone and two he's cut narrower. Really handy having the bike up near waist height.
More than two wheels is too many.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Taz wrote:Not a bench but when I was a student in England and had 2 bikes at the same time and did my own maintenance, I was lucky to have a garage with a work pit in it, around 4 feet deep. Never had a pit since though :(
I went to Sunderland and it's the pits
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Taz, I remember the "pit" from the past, I saw a lot of them used on all our gangs hot rods :P Today? We Lift. Not a bad thing, just the times. Dig the pits though

Anfield, do you have a photo of that hospital bed rig? It sounds cumbersome to me. Good thinking though. Guess a place like Craigslist you could find privately owned used beds 4sale. Gosh, but so heavy. I know they roll'n'lock which makes them ideal for a table, but they gotta be bulky :roll:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

I think I've got pictures, I'll dig them out. Not too bulky, to be honest it's a big garage so plenty of space. The scooter still needs some lifting to get it on but once on the beds are brilliant.

Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Here's a pic of my 'other' scoot getting some tlc on the hospital bed. This is one that hasn't been narrowed.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (109.76 KiB) Viewed 3842 times

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Better than, "two aspirins and I'll see ya in the morning!" :P That is brilliant, and the wider tabletop can afford more than one beer 8) that's a work in progress going on right there!
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

I sent this pic to Mrs A after she called to ask how long it would be before I was home.

"Going to be a bit later than I thought . . ."

:lol:

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Good one, cheers! :lol: :lol: Oh, & while I'm cheering ya have a Happy Birthday ;)
Anfield800
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Anfield800 »

Thanks very much, I did!

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Handy Industries offers this Sport air lift (a bit pricey). Look closely,......see a PCX? 8) I like the "handy vise" chock that comes with it. Colors offered as well http://www.handyindustries.com/products/sport-lift Just another option.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hey folks! I received an email this morning from Aerostitch offering this Workstand (one day, today 8/15 at a 25% discount). Was $267.00 Now $199.00. Because of my fussy back, I'm wondering if this stand would be a good way to do say, an oil change? My concern is, would the oil run off in places I wouldn't want it to be? Like in the track the bike is on? :? Making the roll off slippery (and then for the next roll on?) So what do you guys think :roll: Am I over-thinking this or "spot" on? :ugeek:
I've looked online at this before, but now the sale price has me considering again. (They also have a three crate stand at a higher cost and Not discounted, Not going there, but thought I'd mention it).
So, here's the link: http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-alum ... stand.html
Won't be back till later, off to see Mom...nursing homes are so depressing, getting her outside today...it's gorgeous here!!!
Catch yas later! :P
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Look at Harbor Freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... cycle+lift). They have a few different ones. There is one for $99.99 (http://www.harborfreight.com/high-lift- ... 60395.html) the lift capasity is 300 lb which is doable for a PCX but on the top end of the scale and it lefts up to 24". One ( http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... cycle+lift) they have that is $175.99 lefts 1500lbs so more then enough for a PCX and it raises the motorcycle/scooter 19". Of course they have more expensive ones as well.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^Thanks for all the help!! :) I've actually gone to Harborfreight's store and looked at several types there. I like the table lifts, but they just take up too much room in a single garage (I use to have 3 car )o: you could say I got spoiled) :oops:
So really, I've been looking for a stand that would be safe to use, lightweight, folding (or breakdowns) and stores aside out of the way. That was the appeal of this crate stand I linked to. I just wondered what ya'll thought of it? Maybe that's a better way of asking? :roll: Somehow I think the sale is going past today. Can't find mention of it on website now....odd :roll:
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Personally I don't like the ideas of the crates. I realize that they are strong but I don't know if I would trust them to hold almost 300 lbs. The one on the website that's for $175.99 (http://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lb-li ... 60636.html) seems compact.

I wish I had a three car garage. I have a very small two car garage. In the garage are my car, the PCX and my husband's Honda Shadow. His car is parked on the street since we don't even have a driveway. Come winter time we are planning to rent a storage space to park the bike/scooter in.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Looks like 2 boxes and an aluminium ladder.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ :D Yeah, that's about it! Okay wait,...I gotta (slang talk again :? )have a small run up/down ramp too. Ah but I I do. A 4' and 6' long ramp as well as several crates. Awhile back I had given this combination some thought, but never put pieces together. I questioned....Would it be safe? :roll: Gotta think along those lines first (dang! that safety word comes up everywhere on the forum, don't it? :P
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

katschamne, I hear ya about the crates, and also about lack of space in a one car garage. I have considered a winter storage area myself nearby...The rental cost will dictate that possibility. As far as the last lift link you gave...do you think that's any safer To use? I question that one under our PCX's. Not sure at all about that. Let's try to get some more opinions here :ugeek: >>> h e l p
Lagerhead

Post by Lagerhead »

I just built a simple table with pressure treated wood and leave it out in the yard all year. When it's not in use it nestles up next to the deck and blends in enough that it's not quite the eyesore. :)

New tires by benandangie, on Flickr