Crazy

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Crazy

Post by rainburg »

A motorcyclist was clocked at up to 170 mph in New York on a Suzuki bike, model info not provided:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/05/02/ ... e-thruway/
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Crazy

Post by TC3 »

A Hayabusa? My bro got caught doing 167 out in France on his R1 a few years back and no not anything to be proud of.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Crazy

Post by Woolley »

TC3 wrote:A Hayabusa? My bro got caught doing 167 out in France on his R1 a few years back and no not anything to be proud of.
What happened did he lose his license or anything?
ImageImage ImageImage Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Only reason I've never done 170mph on a public road is because the fastest bike I ever owned would only do an indicated 155mph.
170 on an American sized road is nothing compared to doing 130mph here.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Woolley wrote:
TC3 wrote:A Hayabusa? My bro got caught doing 167 out in France on his R1 a few years back and no not anything to be proud of.
What happened did he lose his license or anything?
He got an instant ban of 1 year in which he could not ride/drive in France. An instant 800 euro fine and had to pay 280 euro to be towed to the border. Has never done silly speeds on road since and now saves that for track days.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

gn2 wrote:Only reason I've never done 170mph on a public road is because the fastest bike I ever owned would only do an indicated 155mph.
170 on an American sized road is nothing compared to doing 130mph here.
I was hitting 141 (speedo) on another trip to France prior to my bro getting nicked and it is amazing the false sense of security you feel at that speed when in reality a slight mistake and you are gone. Now I have a car that barely does 100 and a bike that does 60 and I actually dont miss the speed anymore. Maybe cause been there done that got the t shirt :-)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Similar item in my wardrobe ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

gn2 wrote:Similar item in my wardrobe ;)
:-)
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Ive never seen the fascination with speed to be honest. Id rather drive at 65/70mph in my car on the motorway and get 60mpg rather than do 100mph and get 30mpg.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Woolley wrote:Ive never seen the fascination with speed to be honest. Id rather drive at 65/70mph in my car on the motorway and get 60mpg rather than do 100mph and get 30mpg.
Whatever floats your boat.... :-D
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Yep, keeping my license, not paying fines and not writing off my car does float my boat :)
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Woolley wrote:Yep, keeping my license, not paying fines and not writing off my car does float my boat :)
If all younger drivers took that view insurance would be so much cheaper.......
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

After two write offs in under 3 years driving you learn pretty quickly to be as careful as possible. Im not saying i sped around everywhere not looking where i was going though. Neither write off was my fault, i mean you need to watch what other people do cus people cant drive for shit round here.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

As a full time professional driver, I tend to drive to how I see the road conditions.

In the car on motorways I tend to cruise at 75-80 and do the same on my Deau. PCX on my normal commute is never out of the 30/40mph zones.
My works vehicles are restricted to a max of 62mph on motorways, which I find a bit tedious at times, especially doing an overnight drive through Europe!!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I was lucky enough when I was young to have not been hurt or killed by speed.

My parents were dumb enough, and I was fortunate enough, to get me a 1996 BMW 325 IS for my first car. I regularly would travel on the highway at 5:30am to hockey practice at 140+mph.

My brother wasn't so lucky. My brother didn't know how to drive stick, so when he went to college, I got my dad's old car (Infiniti G20, still a wonderful car). Four years ago on Thanksgiving, I was riding with my brother in the BMW. He had been driving it for almost a year, but was even stupider than I was. He tried to drift the car around a turn, and failed miserably. To this day, I have no idea why he chose to do so, especially considering the car was an automatic, but I digress... We went around the corner doing 45 or so, he lost control, ran off the road, over a mailbox, overcorrected, overcorrected again, then overcorrected one more time before we vaulted off the curb, over a guardrail, and hit a tree about 15 feet into the air. The car flipped around, nose down, and landed on all fours.

I was completely uninjured, save a large scratch across my right leg from where the back end of the transmission and part of the driveshaft breached the floor and smashed against the inside of my leg. It was the 6th accident I've been in (I've been in 12, and not one of them my fault). My brother faceplanted on the airbag and was pinned between the seat and steering wheel. He panicked -- he said later he had played too much GTA and for some reason thought the car was going to explode -- so I kicked out what was left of the sunroof and pulled him out, laying him on the road. He escaped with cuts, a burn on his face from faceplanting on the airbag, and bruises all over.

The paramedics thought we had flipped, and didn't believe that I was in the car until they shined a spotlight on me. I glittered, because I was covered with so much glass dust.

Speed kills. Be careful out there.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Speed kills.
That's an urban myth.
It's the deceleration which does the damage.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:Speed kills.
That's an urban myth.
It's the deceleration which does the damage.
Unless you go so fast you burst into flames :D
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

maddiedog wrote:I was lucky enough when I was young to have not been hurt or killed by speed.

My parents were dumb enough, and I was fortunate enough, to get me a 1996 BMW 325 IS for my first car. I regularly would travel on the highway at 5:30am to hockey practice at 140+mph.

My brother wasn't so lucky. My brother didn't know how to drive stick, so when he went to college, I got my dad's old car (Infiniti G20, still a wonderful car). Four years ago on Thanksgiving, I was riding with my brother in the BMW. He had been driving it for almost a year, but was even stupider than I was. He tried to drift the car around a turn, and failed miserably. To this day, I have no idea why he chose to do so, especially considering the car was an automatic, but I digress... We went around the corner doing 45 or so, he lost control, ran off the road, over a mailbox, overcorrected, overcorrected again, then overcorrected one more time before we vaulted off the curb, over a guardrail, and hit a tree about 15 feet into the air. The car flipped around, nose down, and landed on all fours.

I was completely uninjured, save a large scratch across my right leg from where the back end of the transmission and part of the driveshaft breached the floor and smashed against the inside of my leg. It was the 6th accident I've been in (I've been in 12, and not one of them my fault). My brother faceplanted on the airbag and was pinned between the seat and steering wheel. He panicked -- he said later he had played too much GTA and for some reason thought the car was going to explode -- so I kicked out what was left of the sunroof and pulled him out, laying him on the road. He escaped with cuts, a burn on his face from faceplanting on the airbag, and bruises all over.

The paramedics thought we had flipped, and didn't believe that I was in the car until they shined a spotlight on me. I glittered, because I was covered with so much glass dust.

Speed kills. Be careful out there.
Sounds like you were both very lucky to not be injured alot worse. And im sorry but the too much GTA did make me laugh a little...
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Dont get me started about my early driving days! Between 17 and 21 I wrote off 3 cars due to driving like a complete twat. My first ever accident I drove out in front of a motorcyclist who sailed over my car after going into the side. I was a complete nob!
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Most of my friends, and myself, are in our late thirties. During our twenties, there were not that many speed cameras all over the place, nor the traffic regulations were as severe as they are nowadays. Sometimes, when we meet up, we chat about how lucky we are to be, all of us, here. There's not a single one of us who hasn't had a car accident or fell of a bike, or both. One of my best friends had one of each the same day. Fell off his bike, then went off the road (as a passenger) on the trip back home. Luckily enough, all injuries were sorted out with a plaster and a physiotherapist in the most serious of cases, and we didn't ever injure anyone. I repeat, we were LUCKY, after years of doing all sort of stupid things on the road. Others we knew weren't.