a puzzle

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

a puzzle

Post by flyingzonker »

I ride all winter. Usually, from about the middle of November to March, I see no riders on my morning runs. The first week in March, provided the sun is out, and the wind isn't too punishing, I begin, usually on weekends, to see an occasional rider. They are almost always riding cruisers and always, always, without a helmet. This last detail is a wonder to me. I can at least imagine riding without a helmet in the heat of high summer...but 35 degrees on a March morning? IT'S COLD! It is on those winter and early spring morning rides that I am loving my big plastic full face hat more than anything in the world. No numb lips, no frozen ears....nothing but pure protected comfort.

So, we have to ignore those who tell us that they eschew helmets for the sake of comfort. Ain't necessarily so. Let's face it...it's a macho thing with the majority of the bareheads. They'd rather be freezing cold than uncool.

Sometimes I do see other riders in the deadly cold months of December and January--very rarely--and they are almost always on cruisers too...and always, as far as I can remember, without helmets. And these guys are a lot of times mature individuals. It is flummoxing to say the least.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: a puzzle

Post by PCX150Rider »

The medical industrial complex loves the people who ride without helmets. The insurance companies not so much. ;)

When they start having health problems the doctors, pharma related businesses, and hospitals will gladly take their hard earned money. :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There's a name for riders like that, "organ donors"
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:There's a name for riders like that, "organ donors"
Thats a good one.. But even in the summer when the sun is blazing away my helmet is silver and insulated and it actually keeps me cooler than without. I wonder how those "organ doners" deal with that hot sun beating down on their unprotected heads .. I can't imagine winter temps..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When we drive to the Carolinas We are surprised at how many bike riders do not have helmets on, but many do have a headband of some sort on. So i guess that means that their hair won't get in their eyes while they are crashing at 70 mph??
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Them organs are to too old to donate anyway... I think this is the mentality if a shink was to drill down a little.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

When we drive to the Carolinas We are surprised at how many bike riders do not have helmets on, but many do have a headband of some sort on. So i guess that means that their hair won't get in their eyes while they are crashing at 70 mph??
Either that or they slide it down over their nose if they get down wind of a hog farm. :lol:

Seriously though. . .back when "Easy Rider" was a new movie and quickly became a cult classic there was a lot less traffic on the road and if you rode with self control and were sober you greatly reduced your risk of injury (or death). :o

But now it's a different world. When you combine the shear increase in volume of vehicles on the road (especially high profile vehicles), the digital device distractions, and a list of other dangers it just makes good sense to be prepared and wear ATGATT. ;)

It's still fun to ride but the herd is getting bigger and the corral isn't. Competition for space is ever increasing. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Them organs are to too old to donate anyway... I think this is the mentality if a shink was to drill down a little.
Sad but true about the livers and kidneys and maybe hearts. . .but what's a "shink" in this context? :?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

PCX150Rider wrote:
Sad but true about the livers and kidneys and maybe hearts. . .but what's a "shink" in this context? :?
you're right they don't accept brain transplants yet do they :lol: this was evolving into a helmet thread sorry, back on topic.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Some of the 'helmets' I see riders wearing wouldn't protect anything, and yet they consider them legal in states that have helmet laws. I saw a big guy on a cruiser recently whose helmet could be described more appropriately as one of those old Beanies, minus the propeller.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

It's still fun to ride but the herd is getting bigger and the corral isn't. Competition for space is ever increasing.
For 45 years I rode with blue jeans, but I now wear armored pants to go with the similar jacket.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I still ride in blue jeans. I also have knee braces, back brace, and my dependable Tourmaster armored jacket. Gloves are a given, as well as boots and a helmet.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

besides boots, helmet, gloves and knee pads I have no dedicated protective gear. I wear lined jeans summer and winter and in those there is a certain amount of protection baked-in, so to speak. In winter I wear three sweat shirts and two windbreakers. When I am in my winter riding outfit I look like a bruiser....nobody is going to mess with me. In the summer when my true physique is plain to see I don't generate much more, alas, than the basic minimum of respect.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I can tell you from experience that a good, armored, jacket can save your life. I have a Tourmaster Sonora Air mesh Jacket.
https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/tour-mas ... FJEALw_wcB
When we had our accident in 2015 I rolled down the highway quite a distance but was able to get up, dust myself off, and go to my wife's aid. She had not worn her jacket that day. As a result of the accident, she had a broken shoulder. $75,000 later she happens to have use of her shoulder again, but she doesn't ride much any more.

Ride with an armored jacket. It could be the only thing between you and the pavement.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150