Drive wheeling spinning on idle - Normal?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

chigman

Re: Drive wheeling spinning on idle - Normal?

Post by chigman »

Whilst idling and on center stand, my rear wheel slowly rotates on a 125cc uk machine.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I just went and cleaned the scoot as I got caught in a horrendous thunder storm en-route to work this morning (2.30am!) - I'd left my waterproofs at work too as the forecast was for slight showers 7pm the next day :( - took ages to get from atlantic drenched look to fell in a puddle look :)
Checked the rotation of the rear wheel both ways again - seems fine, no noise. Lucky I guess.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

2011 PCX 125 bored out to 170cc... Rear does not spin when idle on the centerstand.

It's just clutch engagement. The fresher your clutch is, the thicker the pads are, and the more likely they'll just barely catch at idle. A lower idle or more clutch wear will stop the spin. The idle on the PCX is not adjustable, so no worries there.

As long as the bike doesn't try to lurch forwards at idle, it's perfectly normal and you have nothing to worry about.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Mines only now done about 1500 or so miles - not seen the rear wheel rotation at any point, but only had the bike idling on the center stand twice (1st time about 2 months back). You say there is not idle adjustment on the PCX? But, the service chart mentions idle speed check? (I thought there was a rotational adjustment somewhere on the rhs of the bike? - not sure where I got that).
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:I seem to be in the minority with a rear wheel that does not spin when idling on the center stand, and no real noise to be heard rotated either way (just a very quite noise rather than pure silence, which being heavy with bearings I think is fine). I wonder if there is a difference in UK/US models re. the additional brake thingy US models have and how they are setup? Many say the parking brake was useless out of the dealer, so maybe the rear wheel is just a bit more free/slack than some UK ones?
Well here is what I get cold or hot, and my parking brake is perfectly adjusted.

Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

Finally checked this out. Both our PCXs have a slow rear wheel rotation while on the center stand. This with a cold motor. Course forgot to check when warm.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Thanks!
Homie/Steph, was "Any" noise heard while scoot was running on CS and spinning?
Also...Do you hear any noise when You move your scoot (with the motor off and in as little as ten feet?)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:Thanks!
Also...Do you hear any noise when You move your scoot (with the motor off and in as little as ten feet?)
the motor running noise just like in vid... should I be listening closer?

I used to hear all kinds of creaking and whining from the steering column where cables are bottle necked (when rolled around) but that was easy to fix by passing a little WD-40 on a rag on about every rubber coated cable running through the front fender well.
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

No unusual noises such as a mechanical malfunction. The motor running may cover lesser noises. No unusual noises when pushing the scooter with the motor off either.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

WhiteNoise wrote:Thanks!
Are you hearing strange or worrying noises then WhiteNoise?
binje
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by binje »

The rear wheel on my 2011 UK PCX 125 rotates as well. Looking at homie's video, mine probably rotates at half that speed on idle on the CS. I see it every day simply because I leave it on for a min or two to warm up.

Incidentally homie... Kudos on how clean that bike is...spotless :) :) :)
2011 Honda PCX 125
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

So you start the bike before moving off the center stand? I see people do that but thought the slight shock of the bike coming off the stand and onto wheel/suspension may not be good for things, esp. with the stand attached direct to the engine block.