First oil change for 2015 PCX150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jkautz
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Metallic Black

First oil change for 2015 PCX150

Post by jkautz »

I have a 2015 PCX150 and it has 520 miles on it. I have been riding it harder than I would of preferred, but I really don't have a choice. I commute 47 miles one way to work. 70% of the commute is at 55mph highway speeds. So I've just about been at it's limit the entire time I've had it. I will be taking it in this afternoon for it's first oil change. What should I expect? Have I damaged the bike by riding it harder than most. What do they do to the bike on its first visit beside draining & refilling the oil? Any other items on it get cleaned or checked? Thanks in advance.

2015 PCX150 Metallic Black
Prestige
Prestige
Color: Pearl White

Re: First oil change for 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

CONGRATULATIONS! you are the 30th member of this forum to own a new 2015 Honda PCX. I dub thee proud owner and join thee to the front of the PARADE! 8)

You were suppose to keep it down around 45 mph for 300 miles I think, but might just be guidelines and not rule. Something about how the rings would break in and look if you didn't. The edge of your rings might be rounded from getting on it too soon. A compression check at the dealer would put my mind at ease but then you are admitting something they might foid warranty for. This is in the master mechanic section so wait for them to notice.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

homie wrote:CONGRATULATIONS! you are the 30th member of this forum to own a new 2015 Honda PCX. I dub thee proud owner and join thee to the front of the PARADE! 8)

You were suppose to keep it down around 45 mph for 300 miles I think, but might just be guidelines and not rule. Something about how the rings would break in and look if you didn't. The edge of your rings might be rounded from getting on it too soon. A compression check at the dealer would put my mind at ease but then you are admitting something they might foid warranty for. This is in the master mechanic section so wait for them to notice.
Well technically speaking, when I rode off with it. The dealer never gave me any guidelines on how to ride it, just told me to bring it in at 600 miles. I'm at 520 right now, so I'm taking it in early due to riding it harder. Maybe I can request a compression check while they change the oil? And if that's the case on voiding the warranty, I won't even mention the highway speeds I've been riding it at.

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

For every person that advocates a gentle break in, you'll find another that says ride it like you stole it from day one.

I would not for a second worry about a compression check at this point, if I were you, with all due respect. Major overkill in my humble opinion.

I don't think there is definitive evidence that not paying strict attention to the break in period actually has any negative consequences. I've seen smart, knowledgeable people with extensive motorcycle experience argue both sides of this debate.

Don't worry about it. I tried not to thrash mine early on, but if I were you I wouldn't dwell on it unless you rode it balls to the wall, flat out, at full throttle for the first 250 miles continuously.

Congrats on your new ride!

Oh, and by the way, when you get a chance, put at least your general location in your profile, please. We are funny creatures here and we get odd facial tics and things like that when we don't know where someone is.
'88 BMW R100RT
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

kcpcx wrote:For every person that advocates a gentle break in, you'll find another that says ride it like you stole it from day one.

I don't think there is definitive evidence that not paying strict attention to the break in period actually has any negative consequences. I've seen smart, knowledgeable people with extensive motorcycle experience argue both sides of this debate.

I wouldn't worry about it. I tried not to thrash mine early on, but if I were you I wouldn't dwell on it unless you rode it balls to the wall, flat out, at full throttle for the first 250 miles continuously.

Congrats on your new ride!

Oh, and by the way, when you get a chance, put at least your general location in your profile, please. We are funny creatures here and we get odd facial tics and things like that when we don't know where someone is.
I appreciate the info, that will help put my mind at ease a little. I think it wouldn't hurt for them to just do some extra checks on the compression. Because at least 70% of my riding has been 55+ I try not to go full throttle, but I have a hill I climb to get home (bike stays at 50 going up it). I've noticed there is a limiter around 64mph

Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Some one posted for a new engine in the break in crowd;

Fire the engine and let it warm up, take a 1/4 throttle pass. Shut it down and let the engine cool.
Run the engine through a 1/2 throttle pass, and let it cool.
Run the engine through a 3/4 throttle pass, and let it cool.
Run the engine trough a full throttle pass, let it cool --- now go racing.

You need enough cylinder pressure to get the rings to seat properly but you need to give the rest of the engine time to get happy too. A new engine will invariably have some tight spots, and you want to give them a chance to burnish in without over heating them. The thermal cycles also help to get all the gaskets settled in, and if you have an engine that needs re-torquing of heads or adjusting of mechanical valve lash (and PCX owners do) that needs to settle in as well.

Not me talking... Homie don't know about these things
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

homie wrote:Some one posted for a new engine in the break in crowd;

Fire the engine and let it warm up, take a 1/4 throttle pass. Shut it down and let the engine cool.
Run the engine through a 1/2 throttle pass, and let it cool.
Run the engine through a 3/4 throttle pass, and let it cool.
Run the engine trough a full throttle pass, let it cool --- now go racing.

You need enough cylinder pressure to get the rings to seat properly but you need to give the rest of the engine time to get happy too. A new engine will invariably have some tight spots, and you want to give them a chance to burnish in without over heating them. The thermal cycles also help to get all the gaskets settled in, and if you have an engine that needs re-torquing of heads or adjusting of mechanical valve lash (and PCX owners do) that needs to settle in as well.
Well I hope my mechanic will be savvy with this. I'm going to tell him to do the compression check and check the rings. Hopefully thats not a big request. What else should the mechanic do while im there?

Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

******************** ALSO ***************************

If you know how to help me lock my trunk to the PCX. That'd be greatly appreciated. I posted it

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=3398

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I'm going to go on record here with the opinion that a compression check is 100% a waste of time in your situation. There is literally about a 1/1000 chance at this point you've damaged your engine at all, let alone enough to detect it at this point with a compression check. And what if you have? Too late now to do anything about it, even in the exceedingly, and I stress exceedingly remote case that you've hurt something. Water under the bridge.
'88 BMW R100RT
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

kcpcx wrote:A compression check is 100% a waste of time in your situation. There is literally about a 1/1000 chance at this point you've damaged your engine. And what if you have? Too late now to do anything about it, even in the exceedingly, and I stress exceedingly remote case that you've hurt something. Water under the bridge.
Man I hope you're right. Cause that would really put my mind to ease. I love my new bike, I hate knowing I had no choice to do 55+ on highways to my house. I purchased it October 1st, so today marks only the 17th day I've had it. 520 miles later. Thanks for the insight on this.

Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I didn't bother. I rode it normally from day 1. As long as you warm it up before giving it the beans it'll be fine.
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

Alibally wrote:I didn't bother. I rode it normally from day 1. As long as you warm it up before giving it the beans it'll be fine.
I'll usually start mine in the garage, or outside my work, then I sit there for a minute or so, then I ride it between 30-45mph the first 4-5 miles, then I hit my highway to work/home, then i ease it up to 55+. I don't go full throttle off the line or anything to help with breaking it in, but I will ease it off the line and get it up to full speed.

Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

sounds like you broke it in well enough with that route... you have no worries
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

homie wrote:sounds like you broke it in well enough with that route... you have no worries
I hope so. I can't wait until fresh oil is in there and I'm in the clear.

Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

After my first oil change Friday, my dealer said the engine looks great after he pulled it apart and checked the rings. He even showed me the oil they drained showing it didn't have any shavings or any issues. It actually looked really clean and unused for the most part. I'm feeling really good about the PCX150 engine now. It seems to be handling my commute extremely well. I figure after my next oil change which I plan to do at the 3k mile mark, I'll be switching it to a semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

jkautz wrote:After my first oil change Friday, my dealer said the engine looks great after he pulled it apart and checked the rings. He even showed me the oil they drained showing it didn't have any shavings or any issues. It actually looked really clean and unused for the most part. I'm feeling really good about the PCX150 engine now. It seems to be handling my commute extremely well. I figure after my next oil change which I plan to do at the 3k mile mark, I'll be switching it to a semi-synthetic or full synthetic.
Does anyone else seriously doubt the dealer did anything more than drain and refill the oil.
Maybe, with a very sizeable service bill presented to this owner...maybe then he looked at the rings! :-) I'm going to go look to see if I can see my rings through the oil drain hole. Maybe....
Fish
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

fish wrote:
jkautz wrote:After my first oil change Friday, my dealer said the engine looks great after he pulled it apart and checked the rings. He even showed me the oil they drained showing it didn't have any shavings or any issues. It actually looked really clean and unused for the most part. I'm feeling really good about the PCX150 engine now. It seems to be handling my commute extremely well. I figure after my next oil change which I plan to do at the 3k mile mark, I'll be switching it to a semi-synthetic or full synthetic.
Does anyone else seriously doubt the dealer did anything more than drain and refill the oil.
Maybe, with a very sizeable service bill presented to this owner...maybe then he looked at the rings! :-) I'm going to go look to see if I can see my rings through the oil drain hole. Maybe....
Fish
Also forgot to mention they cleaned the screen as well. So maybe throw that into your doubts ;) $48 bill

Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

fish wrote:
Fish
Me
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
jkautz
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkautz »

DAB wrote:
fish wrote:
Fish
Me
lol very supportive group of guys on this forum. I can tell you first hand they did a compression check. I requested it. Watched them as they checked each valve with their gauge. It was clear as day they checked it. I requested it.

Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Rings or valves?