Modifying body panels to make valve access easier, Hacks?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: black

Modifying body panels to make valve access easier, Hacks?

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

After reviewing several videos and threads on valve adjustment, its apparent the bodywork on our pcx's is just a huge pain to remove, and is the number 1 reason valve adjustment gets put off.

I was wondering if anyone's come up with any " hacks " to make panel removal quicker or easier? Perhaps certain bolts or clips that aren't really needed, or even modifying the panel itself to come off independently?

I personally have no problem modifying panels, making trapdoors ect. so long as the bike looks stock from the outside.

I know we have lots of people here who have done this job at least once so I'm hoping for some ideas and insight.

Dean
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Modifying body panels to make valve access easier, Hack

Post by homie »

I was thinking the same thing at one point in the valve clearance check process. It occurred to me that it might have been possible to pull the seat and luggage box only. This would have left me to work around just the battery box to get the intake valve clearance. Then perhaps up from the bottom of the PCX through the skid plate panel for the exhaust. If you have to take the battery box out you must remove both 'body panels' which sets all of it in motion. So yes... next time I'm due on the 2015 PCX I'm going to try and work around battery box removal first before submitttting to the SM's long 14 procedure process because I actually did the luggage box out of sequence in my video just by chance so I know it will come out before the two 'body panels'

I do see you have a 2013 so I'm no help for yours sorry. This would be HUGE news for mechanics if Honda over looked this in there 2015 makeover so I doubt its real.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Here's another thought on 2015's, if you are looking for a cheat don't bolt your battery box in after the first valve procedure and then just slip it out after luggage box removal :lol:

It would go like this and take about 20 minutes;
Seat - Grab rail cover - Grab rail - luggage box - battery - battery box
and you are there for both intake and exhaust... WOW!

Honda should modify the battery box immediately to be removable from a couple bolts or screws positioned just under the battery and be easily accessible through the interior of the box. This would cause them to revise the SM and save incredible man hours for valve clearance adjustment. Absolutely we are done here :D somebody get them on the phone. I don't think they realized the redesigned PCX is this close to easy access.
DeaninMilwaukee
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by DeaninMilwaukee »

That's very good info that the battery box is the main sticking point. It seems like an easy improvement to just not bolt it back in. I would think gravity would hold it in place adequately.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Yep this is crazy... thanks for starting this thread DM. Maybe someone at Honda engineering will take notice. This image is all the proof they need to see anyone can work around those body panels to do what I just did the hard way.

5 simple steps... I feel even more abused now :lol: all they have to do is modify a couple battery box fasteners for easy access up front and not down low under the body panels and we can all do our own clearance checks in less than an hour... DOH! Wait its becoming a little clearer ;) never mind, its all good, nothing to see here, move along...
I LOVE HONDA SCOOTERS :oops:
Drifter
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 13
Color: red

Post by Drifter »

Homie, is that a 13 you are working on? What has to come off now to get to the valves, i have no problem with leaving a couple screws or tabs or clips or.... off to make this crazy BS of parts removal easier!!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Drifter wrote:Homie, is that a 13 you are working on? What has to come off now to get to the valves, i have no problem with leaving a couple screws or tabs or clips or.... off to make this crazy BS of parts removal easier!!
No I'm sorry it's a 2015 and I think if there was a short cut for valve clearance check on 2013 you guys would have found it by now. I think this is an oversight by Honda that will be making news soon enough as I have spammed it out for the world to see. DeaninMilwaukee and I had a beer and reviewed the video and DOH there is a simple solution to thousands of man hours tearing down the 2015's for clearance checks.
Attachments
Valve Clearance.jpg
Valve Clearance.jpg (273.84 KiB) Viewed 1830 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Honda's just a battery box bolt away from ending years of frustrating PCX clearance checks. There are people who look at the maintenance schedule concerning this procedure and buy something else, youtube comments confirm this. The dealers are paid for only one hour under warranty for the service if they have to do it. Honda can ignore this but they would be silly not to address re-positioning a couple bolts in the battery box :) Future PCX's will be easy breezy VCA's and scooter enthusiast will do a happy dance around the world!!!!! HAHAHA!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Perhaps they wanted it complicated to get the dealers some business and not make it easier for home users to do maintenance themselves - esp. in the UK where it's hard to maintain warranty without having dealer servicing.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:Perhaps they wanted it complicated to get the dealers some business and not make it easier for home users to do maintenance themselves - esp. in the UK where it's hard to maintain warranty without having dealer servicing.
A sad truth that would come back to haunt them after owners like yourself are aware. Lets don't think that for now its too soon :D If I were PR at Honda this would be a no brainer for R&D and a revenue generator for Honda PCX sales... not a conspiracy.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

iceman wrote:Perhaps they wanted it complicated to get the dealers some business and not make it easier for home users to do maintenance themselves - esp. in the UK where it's hard to maintain warranty without having dealer servicing.
Iceman, It's a budget scooter, I expect that not too much thought would go into how easy it is to service. Most thought would go into making it as cheap as possible to assemble.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Blackroot
Year: 2017
Color: midnight blue

Post by Blackroot »

That has to be the dumbest, most condescending post I have ever read on this site.
You really think Honda said F* it, let's just make it hard because it's Only 3500$ ? Dude, I am an engineer, and that comment was an insult. :oops:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Blackroot wrote:That has to be the dumbest, most condescending post I have ever read on this site.
You really think Honda said F* it, let's just make it hard because it's Only 3500$ ? Dude, I am an engineer, and that comment was an insult. :oops:

Might need to read more posts.

Or yours before you send them.
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Blackroot wrote:That has to be the dumbest, most condescending post I have ever read on this site.
Your own comments would take some beating :D :D :D
Blackroot
Year: 2017
Color: midnight blue

Post by Blackroot »

You are correct. Withdrawn-
Excellent information here, OP
Thanks for putting this all together.
I take it there is no chance of adjustment with the battery box in place ? Looking at your video, it seems there is some room, but hard to tell.