Weird PCX Noise

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015 Honda MSX
Color: Red

Weird PCX Noise

Post by jojo87 »

I have this on my own thread but thought i'd post another specifically for this matter....

Not sure what the noise is...
brand new 2014 model, had 3 miles on it, now got about 140,
started noticing this last week some time...
it's also loud when riding.

Any suggestions?

I contacted the Dealer I got it from and they said they've never heard a PCX make that sound and they don't have a clue what it could be and to take it to my local dealers, but suggested I don't ride it incase it's the bearings or belt etc...

Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Re: Weird PCX Noise

Post by Alibally »

Did you get breakdown cover when you got it. I got AA cover when I got mine new. If you did, phone them and get it recovered to the dealer. You might have to take it 1/2 a mile from your house otherwise they might not come out depending on your policy if you have one.
You would just say it's making a noise and you didn't want to ride it.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

It says on my receipt I have 24 months Honda Warranty & Assist,
so that's either Hondacare Breakdown Assistance or Honda Accident Assistance.

Can't ring anyone at the moment but emailed Honda and the 2 Dealers,
if the Dealers reply back I can show them the video so they can get an idea before getting the Bike,
or can suggest what it actually is from the video.... (unlike the Dealer I actually got it from who said he's never heard that noise on a PCX before)
i've also asked them if they can ring Honda for me and get the recovery sorted,
will have to wait for a reply tomorrow now though.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

It sounds like the belt is slipping to me. The question is why would it be slipping? Good that you have the warranty.

Good luck, please let us know the outcome.
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Will do :-) it's just getting it to a dealer to sort it, and hoping they sort it,
was thinking of taking the casing off myself and having a look but might as well leave it for them to check in case it's bearings or whatever,
so annoying!!!

I have Doctors tomorrow so i'm going to ride it there and back and then keep off it until whenever it's sorted,
I don't drive or anything, only have the Bike, so rather annoying being with out, but then again, I was without one from November till February so I suppose i'll survive!

(never have any luck with Bikes lol)
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Bike should be getting picked up tomorrow,
Dealer said they'll pick it up and have a look in their Workshop tomorrow afternoon,
I have to pay a collection fee though, £10+VAT....
just really hoping they sort the issue and don't give it back with it sounding worse!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

That's Good! Let them "in there" to check it out. If they mess it up...they keep fixing till right. Sadly, you're inconvenienced each try, but heh! It's about "staying alive for the ride!" Keep the faith jojo. I will also ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Good deal....
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Bikes just gone,
started it but the noise wasn't as bad so i'm guessing it's just when the engines been worked a bit as on the video it goes a bit louder once revved...
just hoping they don't get it back and actually think everything is ok sort of thing,
the guy who picked it up said it isn't happening now is it? and I said I hear it more when riding and so on,
I showed him a small bit of the YouTube video and he said he can hear something, and said something like sounds like there's tension in there,
so will wait until they have a look later...
he said they'll ride it around a bit to get the engine hot and so on as well, so yeah... just hoping they do actually find SOMETHING,
as if it annoying for me when riding as I obviously hear it over my exhaust/engine, so i'm hoping they hear the same thing,
so fingers crossed, think they're letting me know later if they find anything.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Try and keep proof they took it in to check (collection fee, etc) as it will help if things do go down hill later on and you can say you passed it to the dealer before things got too bad.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

I keep all the emails from them, which states the date and time they took it and collection/delivery price etc...
they're supposed to be a good Dealers so hopefully they can sort it and not just fob it back saying 'we cant find anything wrong'.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Just got a reply.....

I’ve had my technicians thoroughly check your bike for any abnormal noise coming from the left hand rear and am pleased to be able to inform you that they could not find any fault with it. As part of our investigation we removed the rear drive housing and inspected the belt and bearings which all appear fine. We obviously have also road tested the bike which again did not identify any cause for concern, I am therefore happy for you to have it back.

I'm confused, the noise wasn't there when first riding it, and the fact it's annoying when riding, hearing it over the exhaust/engine and wind with a Helmet on.... yet they can't find anything wrong?
this Bike is seriously going to p*ss me off!
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

You will have to go to the dealer and point out the noise to them personally and if it is doing it while you are there, make them compare it to another PCX to prove that it sounds different.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

There's no way I can get there, they've had to collect and deliver the Bike...
the guy who picked it up yesterday started it as he rode it onto the Van, and it wasn't really there (the noise)
but he even watched the video and said it sounds like some tension there,
and for the other Dealer to say he's never heard that noise on a PCX before....
just really annoying, i'm going to have to get it back and go for a ride and find a suitable place to have the Camera so theres no wind noise.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The thing is that you've had one already so know what they sound like.
If the dealer say it's ok then there's not much you can do but get it back, but you've reported it to them so if it does it again then they will just need to collect it again.

It's a bit of a tw@t when that happens, but at least you have a 2 year warranty.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

It's there every time I go for a ride, fair enough it might not be anything bad or doing damage, but the noise is REALLY annoying,
the fact I have to pull the throttle back at random times just to it drowns out the noise i'm hearing,
hoping I can get a louder exhaust soon as that might cover the other sound...
don't want to be spending a lot though, and want to get a simple installed one (take stock off, simply put new on)
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Unfortunately, if you can't be there at the dealer with the bike to show them the noise, you are at the mercy of whatever they tell you. I wonder if a lot of these clutch bearing noises people seem to mention are actually from the little bearing in the belt cover since it is a loose, slip fit over the stub it rides on so the stub is actually slipping inside the bearing some of the time. Maybe some grease on the stub before putting the cover back on would fix that.
jojo87
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jojo87 »

Where they've taken the casing off etc, i'm guessing they've obv taken the belt etc off, so maybe when they've put it back on they might of 'done something' or added grease etc, so will have to wait until I get it back and check it, if it's still there then i'll take the casing off myself.

Also I noticed a loud rattle when the throttle is pulled, which goes when you let go....
could this just be something loose inside somewhere, so when it's pulled it's rattling on something?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

My PCX sometimes has a slight "bb's in a tin can" rattle under light acceleration that is also know from the CBR250R. It is a near normal sound that has never been positively identified. Probably a characteristic of the valvetrain. Mine is a slight noise. Not sure what your is.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The video in this thread sounds fine to me.
Your dealer has said its OK so just ride the thing and see if the noise goes away or gets worse.
Earplugs definitely cheaper than exhausts.
Rattles... check for loose toolkit and the numberplate is a known culprit.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong