Variator Tool

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

mtheall
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Variator Tool

Post by mtheall »

I'm ready to change my variator, but I'm stuck on the part of removing the drive nut. I see there's a special tool that goes into the holes on the drive face pulley to lock it, and some have posted shots of home-made tools. I have seen in other places the suggestion of locking the piston instead.

Questions:
1. If I want to make a home-made tool, what size bolts are needed? This tool doesn't look like it will be usable with the NCY drive face pulley that I ordered.
2. If I want to lock the piston, I have seen people shove rope through the spark plug hole. Does that seem even remotely safe?
Dave Bo
Color: Black

Re: Variator Tool

Post by Dave Bo »

I made a tool out of a piece of scrap plywood I had in the basement. It kind of looked like a slingshot but with a circle in the middle. The circle needs to be big enough to allow a socket through it. I then measured the distance between the two holes in the vario ( 80CM I think...) and drilled two small holes into the "arms" of the slingshot. Next, I found two 10-24 x 1 1/2" bolts and screwed them into the two small holes. Also, the "handle" of the slingshot needs to be about 8 to 10" long. After I inserted the two 10-24 x 1 1/2" screws into the two vario holes, I screwed one of the long transmission cover screws back into the middle tapped hole. The handle of the slingshot rested on that screw and I was able to grip the socket wrench with both hands to loosen that nut.

After I installed the new Vario, I covered the threads of the 10-24 screws with a couple of small pieces of tubing. Then I simply inserted then in between the fins of the new vario and did the above process in reverse...

I hope this helps...
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Found this on the tinternet
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1432834016.517183.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1432834016.517183.jpg (87.57 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Variator tool, ebay, $12
I bought one for my scoots, works great.
Fish
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIATOR-REMOVE ... 01&vxp=mtr
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

fish wrote:Variator tool, ebay, $12
I bought one for my scoots, works great.
Fish
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VARIATOR-REMOVE ... 01&vxp=mtr

Same here
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mtheall »

Wasn't there something about this tool's pegs being slightly too large? Or was that a tool from amazon?
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mtheall »

Also can anyone comment on using the rope as a piston stop? How about the variator tool use on the NCY drive face which doesn't have the boss holes?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

mtheall wrote:Also can anyone comment on using the rope as a piston stop?
Might be OK, might trash your engine.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

mtheall wrote:Wasn't there something about this tool's pegs being slightly too large? Or was that a tool from amazon?

Who know, do you?
fun2scoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by fun2scoot »

mtheall wrote:Wasn't there something about this tool's pegs being slightly too large? Or was that a tool from amazon?
I don't know if all the cheap variator tools at auction sites are the same, but the one I bought* had pegs too large to fit the PCX OEM variator. Used my grinder to reduce them easily enough. For variators with no holding inserts you will need a strap wrench or a chain wrench. Lowes has a very good quality strap wrench with nice, sticky rubber.

* Full Disclosure: Ebay refunded my money when I filed "item not as described". The seller "Josh"-ed me with the old bait-n-switch. He has (still has) a picture of a shiny high-quality U.S.-made tool, but ships the Chinese knockoff. Ebay's new policy is if seller and buyer cannot resolve, Ebay defaults to the buyer and just takes the refund from the seller's account. He proved to be a nasty, unsavory bloke who wouldn't pay return shipping, so I just ground the tool down to make it work.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

mtheall wrote:Also can anyone comment on using the rope as a piston stop?
Terrible idea.

It's fine on 2-strokes, but you can get rope in your valves, bend a valve, and kill your engine. I'd just use the variator tool.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-000 ... B000HS4NA8 is what I use. It works well. You put the pegs between the fins, and don't hammer on it to avoid breaking fins. I've never had trouble, but have heard of people breaking fins from being too enthusiastic with their application of force. You just hold with the tool, and apply the torque to the wrench on the nut, not the tool.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mtheall »

Thanks maddiedog. I went ahead and bought some rolled steel and built my own tool. It was cake to take off the variator set. I bought the NCY set but I have only received the drive face and the rollers; the variator is apparently still on the sea, so I probably won't see it for a few weeks. In the mean time, I replaced only the rollers (new ones are 13g). The rpm's seem like REALLY high, but I'm used to full stock so maybe what I'm experiencing is normal. I assume I need to drive it for like 60-100 miles before the ECU "learns" the new dynamics? Will the new drive face + variator make much of a difference over just changing the weights? Should I go back to stock weights until I have the full set? I will say I went 0-40mph super fast (felt like 5 seconds maybe?), but I never really gunned it before on stock. Please tell me all of the things!

P.S.: I used 1/4" bolts instead of M6; they fit perfectly in the variator holes; there was no wiggle room like the M6's had, but it wasn't so tight that I had to thread it.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by tbln930 »

A bit old but yes the popular tool on Amazon had nubs that are too large for the OEM variator and the NCY doesn't even have holes. I still used it very carefully against the fins and managed to reach the proper torque but it is not the right tool for the PCX NCY upgrade.
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mtheall »

I did try a strap wrench first but it always slipped. I could not find a way to make it not slip.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

mtheall wrote: In the mean time, I replaced only the rollers (new ones are 13g). The rpm's seem like REALLY high, but I'm used to full stock so maybe what I'm experiencing is normal. I assume I need to drive it for like 60-100 miles before the ECU "learns" the new dynamics? Will the new drive face + variator make much of a difference over just changing the weights? Should I go back to stock weights until I have the full set? I will say I went 0-40mph super fast (felt like 5 seconds maybe?), but I never really gunned it before on stock. Please tell me all of the things!
The ECU adapts to changes in fuel and air, but won't change anything because of a drivetrain change. ;)

If you're accelerating super fast, the weights are probably too light.

A variator and drive face will change the acceleration throughout (may accelerate faster between some speeds, slower through others), can change top speed, and will change how the engine RPMs are at speeds. It takes some trial and error to find a combination that you like.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mtheall
Regular User
Regular User

Post by mtheall »

Thanks. Still waiting for the variator to show up. Once it arrives I'll install it and see how it goes. Hopefully it'll kind of balance out the lighter weights. If not, I'll just try some new weights; at least that part isn't really expensive, and I won't have to wait a month for them to show up.