Leaking fuel 2013 150

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jonestownpadude

Leaking fuel 2013 150

Post by jonestownpadude »

Rode my 2013 about 15 miles to the store (on a divided highway going about 50 mph). I filled up with fuel and then went into the store. I came out from the store and saw a small puddle of fuel underneath the pcx - actually then saw it leaking. Had some trouble starting, but it ran for 20 seconds across the parking lot and then died. I let it sit for 10 minutes then started it up. It was fine on the trip home (tried to keep it under 40 mph). I've got about 700 miles on it and just did the first service. It's in perfect shape otherwise. Any ideas, or has this happened to anyone else? Fuel pump? It's still under warranty, so I am hopeful it will be covered (it should be right?). Thanks!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Leaking fuel 2013 150

Post by iceman »

Did you over-fill it? Perhaps it was extra fuel dripping out of the over-flow pipe as you say you it was fine on the trip home. Did the leak stop with almost a full tank left?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

That's what I thought as well
jonestownpadude

I may have overfilled it, but I didn’t think I did. Maybe it was hard to start and stalled because it was flooded? But it worked itself out when I let it sit for a few minutes. It was fine on the trip home and didn’t leak anymore overnight. And it started right up this morning, so that must have been it.. Thanks!
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

jonestownpadude wrote: Maybe it was hard to start and stalled because it was flooded? But it worked itself out when I let it sit for a few minutes.
Flooding usually only happens on carbureted bikes. If this is a fuel injection related issue then please take it to your dealer to troubleshoot.

There not much technical assistance we can provide here as this is a brand new model. :oops:
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

You might want to try filling it again and checking for a leak in case you have a broken seal up high on the thank. The other thing is, did you fill it full and then park in direct sun? It it was full enough, the heat may have expanded the fuel just enough to make it overfull and there was some sort of pressure release, although I would be surprised if that is the case because I believe the fuel pum relies on pressure in the tank.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Post by wei2go »

Has anyone found a solution other than buying a mccuff? Our gas attendants fill up the gas for you here in SA, and I feel like I'm screaming at him every time I shout out a warning when they're about to overfill.
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

wei2go wrote:Has anyone found a solution other than buying a mccuff? Our gas attendants fill up the gas for you here in SA, and I feel like I'm screaming at him every time I shout out a warning when they're about to overfill.

Yes. The recommended solution here in North America is to always park the scooter on the center stand before filling.
The fuel tank will be level and the attendant should be able to better detect when the fuel level is near full.

Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
jonestownpadude

Thanks everyone. It wasn't in the sun right after I filled it - and I was only in the store for 10 minutes. The stall and trouble starting right after the leak is a concern. I'll call the dealer and take it in. Better to do so while it’s still under warranty!
Jquinones961
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by Jquinones961 »

any updates to this post? I had the same issue today
Jersey Johnny
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Slickvic wrote:
jonestownpadude wrote: Maybe it was hard to start and stalled because it was flooded? But it worked itself out when I let it sit for a few minutes.
Flooding usually only happens on carbureted bikes. If this is a fuel injection related issue then please take it to your dealer to troubleshoot. There not much technical assistance we can provide here as this is a brand new model. :oops:
You can flood the PCX - the owners manual even has advice what to do should that happen and it did happen to me as I did not hold the rear brake in enough and tried to start the PCX a few times (kicked over but not enough) and then would not start, even 30 minutes later allowing for fuel to drain. I then read the owners guide, followed the 'flooding' section and the bike started just fine and has worked perfectly ever since (I always hold the rear brake lever in enough now).
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

I'll look in my manual after work and post back, but generally, on modern cars, holding the throttle fully open while cranking is the procedure to clear a flood. If the cal. is like the cars, the fuel is shut off if the controller sees full throttle at cranking. This gets air through the wet cylinder/spark plug to dry it up enough to fire. Hope this gets you going for now.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Yes, in the O.M. I see it has the "clear-flood" procedure of a normal F.I. system. "Open the throttle fully and crank for five seconds", then try a normal start, again.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

j.d.b. wrote:Yes, in the O.M. I see it has the "clear-flood" procedure of a normal F.I. system. "Open the throttle fully and crank for five seconds", then try a normal start, again.
Yep, worked for me! I was beginning to panic as it looked like I could not get it started again (due to not holding in the rear brake lever enough for the bike to properly start). Using this procedure, found in the owners manual, worked like a charm but took a few goes (it does say repeat if needed). Of all things in the owners manual, this little gem is worth knowing.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

I've studied the shop manual at length and I don't see how the thing can leak fuel on the ground barring spilling fuel in the rubber bib that surrounds the filler neck. I have read, but it's not clear to me how overfilling can leak out the evap. System. It does look as though one could get fuel into the canister and damage it by over-filling and getting enough fuel into the vent line off the filler neck. Still curious about those reported leaks. Anyone else?
Jquinones961
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Jquinones961 »

a Harley guy told me the other day there is a release valve in the next of the bike and when it's hot out it can leak out bottom of bike (left side feel underneath.. by kickstand)
Jersey Johnny