Valves

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

willie5094
Year: 2015
Color: Siena Red

Valves

Post by willie5094 »

Getting my 600 miles service this week, how important is it to get the valves checked, or is it a waste of time, any thoughts.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Valves

Post by homie »

Do it and save your warranty, don't do it and lose it. Best case scenario is the dealer says he did it but didn't. You really don't want to tear down your scoot for something that dosent need to be messed with at 600 miles. If you have paid for an extended warranty you are leaning toward keeping it. If you are like me and don't trust anyone to do a better job of reading the service manual you do it yourself... but not at 600 miles that's crazy.

be a sport and give a fellow a couple hits
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaqlzTm ... oyVAcpcIwl
willie5094

Post by willie5094 »

Valves not checked by dealer, oil changed and only been charged for 45 mins labour, a total of £54.88.....
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

willie5094 wrote:Valves not checked by dealer, oil changed and only been charged for 45 mins labour, a total of £54.88.....
WOW! so your dealer sympathized with you not wanting to tear down and pushed the paperwork retaining your warranty? I mean you know he dosent get paid enough from Honda to do it anyway so he's motivated but I have not heard of this result in here yet. If true you might be the first and this is a win, win, win for both you, your dealer and the precious!
Attachments
cheer.jpg
cheer.jpg (16.39 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I would believe most dealers never do the valve check nor charge for it on the 1st service - perhaps at the 12Kmile check. No way they could do it and charge less than several hundred pound owing to the time it takes. Most PCX's seem to ride just fine without the check.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

iceman wrote:I would believe most dealers never do the valve check nor charge for it on the 1st service - perhaps at the 12Kmile check. No way they could do it and charge less than several hundred pound owing to the time it takes. Most PCX's seem to ride just fine without the check.
Yep but he is the first to report this kind of dealer admission... hope his warranty is still valid. We all realize these checkups are a catch22 if something goes wrong.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

My 600 mile receipt form a main Honda dealer showed no valve check done - they itemised everything inc. labour, two oils (probably only changed the engine oil) and a few bits n pieces. No valve check, book stamped.
For those having the 600 mile and 5000 mile check in the US, has the dealer stated they did a valve check? Honda says it needs doing every service (they list it as an inspection nothing more - which if anything turns out to be listen to it, ride it, sound and ride ok - job done).
willie5094

Post by willie5094 »

Thanks for your comments guys, I'm sure my main dealer would be aware of the valve check but as iceman says if it sounds ok then happy days all round, not my problem with warranty if main dealer doesn't check valves the blame lies with him, as I know feck all about engines I'll just act dumb.
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

Just a note for valve adjustment. I have 5,500mi on my 2013 PCX. I had a small anti frz leak and after tracking it down, turned out the nipple that the hose from the radiator is attached is broken. Ordered a new one online and I believe it was $5.82. I also wanted to adjust the idle speed for my liking. While I had it apart I thought I might as well check the valve adjustment. Turned out it was spot on. I don't know if either of the previous owners had them adjusted. At least I have peace of mind!
Thanks, Scott
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

willie5094 wrote:Thanks for your comments guys, I'm sure my main dealer would be aware of the valve check but as iceman says if it sounds ok then happy days all round, not my problem with warranty if main dealer doesn't check valves the blame lies with him, as I know feck all about engines I'll just act dumb.
This is the best result IMO. A good dealer should take your side if ever there was a catastrophic claim on the engine, I think your dealer is a good one and has your back. Tearing it down has a higher risk of not putting something back right then your valves out of tolerance at 600 miles. You are one of the winners 8)