Tire Size?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Tire Size?

Post by kramnala58 »

With not having ridden a motorcyle/scooter before my PCX I didn't have much to compare it to. I didn't take notice of the tires that were on my PCX when I bought it used (15k kms - 9.3k mls), but I put less that 100 kms (60 mls) on it before I had the new tires installed (120/70 on the front and 140/70 on the back). As soon as I pulled away from the bike shop I could tell that there was a difference for the better. I hadn't thought about or anticipated a different feel to the ride, but I sure got one. It was a much more secure feeling.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dem0nk1d
Regular User
Regular User

Post by dem0nk1d »

the thinner tires, it feels nimble but at high speeds you can feel the grooves in the highway. The bigger and wider tires seems to feel, more solid grip to the road, next to no wobble felt on the highway from the rain grooves on the concrete. Takes few miles to get use to the new feel but it;s a good feeling.
Renovatio
Year: 2014
Color: White

Post by Renovatio »

I calculated the diameters of the tires and increase the height of the tire. Front wheel will fit 120/80 R14? Or increasing the height of 15mm is too much, will damage the fender? But, 15mm increase in height is very useful.

90/90 R14 D=517,6mm
120/70 R14 D=523,6mm, R+3mm
120/80 R14 D=547,6mm, R+15mm

100/90 R14 D=535,6mm
140/70 R14 D=551,6mm, R+8mm
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I was so impressed with the replacement City Grip rear tire on my wife's pcx that I had the new rear tire on my pcx swapped out for a City Grip. What a difference! Wow, I love that tire! Now I can corner much better than before. I think before you start thinking about wider tires, just put a City Grip on. You will feel the difference immediately.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I was so impressed with the replacement City Grip rear tire on my wife's pcx that I had the new rear tire on my pcx swapped out for a City Grip. What a difference! Wow, I love that tire! Now I can corner much better than before. I think before you start thinking about wider tires, just put a City Grip on. You will feel the difference immediately.

In what way does it feel that much better? The stock tyres feel perfectly OK to me.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:In what way does it feel that much better? The stock tyres feel perfectly OK to me.
For me, with little prior riding experience, it is hard to describe the change but I guess the best way I can is that I felt like I had all of a sudden put sticky grip on the tires and I was connected to the road a lot more. Instead of feeling like I was floating on the road, I felt like I at attached to it, but not in a being dragged back kind of way.

That may not make any sense to many of you, but it is the best way that I can describe it. The tires that were on my PCX when I bought it had different levels of wear on them with the front being worn more than the rear, although neither one of them was worn excessively. I hadn't even thought about changing the feel of the ride when I put the City Grips on. I just liked the looks of the wider tires better so I swapped them out and got the pleasant surprise of a much better feeling ride.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I will revive this thread as I think this is very important.

If I understand the post here correctly, the biggest I can put is 140/70 at the rear. That might require slight modifications though.

I think the perfect fit without any modification is using 120 rear and 110 front.

Next question is, is there a specific marking where they say it's for the front use or rear tire?

Few years back, I can put any tire size on my bike without worrying whether it's for the rear or the front as we they don't have specific markings.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Ex. This 120 I want to use in my rear but there is a mark that says front...
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

You don't want a front tire on the rear nor do you want a rear on the front. It's all about the tread pattern ;)
The way a motorbike tire grips the road when you brake, the way it manages water on a wet street... all in the tread pattern. They have distinct differences :D One could argue mounting it with the rotation arrow in the opposite direction but one would surely be wrong.... somehow.
Attachments
strike2.jpg
strike2.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 958 times
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

@homie
Thank you. That made sense.

It seems that they are not making 120 sizes for the rear. (not sure)

I would love the look of that 140 on your pcx, but with a stock engine I don't think that's a good idea.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

alx123 wrote:@homie
Thank you. That made sense.

It seems that they are not making 120 sizes for the rear. (not sure)

I would love the look of that 140 on your pcx, but with a stock engine I don't think that's a good idea.
Yes I agree, with just the tires you would be the slowest PCX out there. Stay on your stock tires and maybe do this first. And yes the kit is good for 150's as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NRc9g3Dasw