Speedometer stopped working and now it works

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

super_g

Speedometer stopped working and now it works

Post by super_g »

I took my PCX for a ride today and the speedometer and odometer didn't work but the rest of the dash worked as expected. When I got to my destination I looked around and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. When I started to go home everything worked as normal, so not sure what to do.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Speedometer stopped working and now it works

Post by maddiedog »

This thread's a bit old... Not sure if it's still an issue.

The speedometer on the PCX takes a reading off of a gear in the final drive, to the left of the rear tire. As long as the rear wheel is spinning, it should get a reading just fine. Not getting a reading is indicative of either your dash not quite being plugged all the way in, the wire to the speedometer sensor on the final drive being damaged, or the sensor itself being damaged.

If the issue does not recur, I wouldn't worry about it, and consider it a fluke. If it reoccurs, it is a difficult issue to troubleshoot based on the amount of disassembly required to troubleshoot. I'd be glad to help, but be forewarned that you'll have to get your hands dirty and need a garage to work in. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Anynameous
Color: white

Post by Anynameous »

My speedometer also stopped working finally, First time it would only show up to 30 mph even driving at a max speed, the odometer was working, but I felt it was also showing less. This happened Friday morning and when I was driving home it got stuck near 50 mph and not moving at all. Next day I took out the speedometer sensor, cleaned, put it back and took it for a ride. It was working normal, but after a mile it stopped working again. So I took it out again and inspected carefully, cleaned the oil and tried to check the wires, but it seems there is no damage at least close to the sensor. Assembled and again it worked, but only for a few seconds. Does anybody have any idea what could be the problem. Shall I replace the sensor or what to do?
Oh and also I changed the final drive oil according to the instructions I found here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... +drive+oil
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

I would try a new sensor first, since your old sensor temporarily worked.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

dasshreddar wrote:I would try a new sensor first, since your old sensor temporarily worked.

I agree. It's probably the cheapest part to replace.
Anynameous

Post by Anynameous »

It was acting weird this morning. Yesterday I checked the continuity of the cable (which runs underneath the air filter housing) in between the two connectors with the multimeter and it looks OK, so probably you are right that I have to replace the sensor. This morning it also worked partially, showing the speed in the range from zero to 30 mph.
Can somebody recommend a website where I can order a speed sensor from?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Anynameous wrote:It was acting weird this morning. Yesterday I checked the continuity of the cable (which runs underneath the air filter housing) in between the two connectors with the multimeter and it looks OK, so probably you are right that I have to replace the sensor. This morning it also worked partially, showing the speed in the range from zero to 30 mph.
Can somebody recommend a website where I can order a speed sensor from?

Google is your friend. Or a local Honda dealer.

David silver?
Anynameous

Post by Anynameous »

Thanks, I tried google before I asked... ebay too
Anynameous

Post by Anynameous »

OK, found the new sensor online (partzilla), ordered and replaced, but the problem is still there. Same issue. Took apart the side of the bike tracked the wire from the sensor to the fuse box, could not find any damage. Any new idea?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's not an error reading is it?
Anynameous

Post by Anynameous »

OK, had some time this weekend, so I looked at it more carefully. It is so stupid (or me), water must have leaked in the speedometer or too much sun during summertime and the speedometer face plate is bent slightly therefore the needle gets stuck or moves slower. It looks like I need to take it apart if it can be done. Has anyone had similar issue? Somewhere I read that to get to the speedometer the front fairing has to be disassembled completely.

PS: I have a speed sensor for sale :)