Brake Lock Knob?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Sowaka
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Black

Brake Lock Knob?

Post by Sowaka »

Hi there!

Just got my new brand new Black 2013 PCX150 today and I couldn't be more excited! Before I go out on the road I'm taking the time to learn everything I can about the machine, though that didn't stop me from going around the parking lot a few times. Unfortunately the tiny Kryptonite U-Lock I bought for the thing doesn't seem to do any good so I'm just relying on an alarmed disc-lock at the moment.

Anyhow, I'm reading the manual and it has mentioned the "Brake Lock Knob" several times. I assumed this would be to lock the rear brake when parked but that doesn't seem to be the case, or perhaps mine is faulty. Anyhow, my google-fu is a bit weak and I'm constantly coming up with security devices when trying to figure out what exactly the function of the rear brake lock is... could anyone inform me? The scooter seems to essentially be in neutral when parked, so I'm a bit scared that a thief that could disable my disc lock could just simply roll away with my brand new scooter. I followed the instructions to the best of my ability, I held in the left (rear) brake lever and pulled the knob towards me... but nothing changes. If I release the brake the bike can still be easily pushed back and fourth.

TL;DR: I can't figure out what the rear brake lock knob is for, mine doesn't seem to do anything. Please help! :oops:

Thanks for any help!
Urbanfreestyle
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (UK)

Re: Brake Lock Knob?

Post by Urbanfreestyle »

Aparently i don't have a knob so i can't help you :-/
Honda PCX 125 ESP (Black)
Power:11.7 hp @8500 rpm, Torque:12Nm @5000rpm
Mods: LED sidelights, Yoshimura Exhaust

DEAD: 2013 Piaggio Typhoon 4 stroke 125cc (Black)
Power:9.65 HP @8500 rpm, Torque:8.2Nm @7500 rpm
Mods: Malossi Red foam filter, Hex LED Sidelights, Xenon headlights, USB charging port
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

Urbanfreestyle wrote:Aparently i don't have a knob so i can't help you :-/
Haha, forgot to mention that I think it's only on Canadian and US models, not sure why that is. For anyone wondering the Brake Lock Knob is just below the glove compartment. The manual mentions it quite a few times but never once seems to mention what exactly it does.
relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red white

Post by relic »

Since the bike is an automatic the brake lock should work like a parking brake
put the bike up on it's centre stand and spin the back wheel
when you figure out the brake lock the wheel should lock
make you you learn also how to release properly
experiment and learn
Branyers
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Branyers »

I had this problem, pulled a little harder on the left brake lever and wala!
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

Branyers wrote:I had this problem, pulled a little harder on the left brake lever and wala!
Just went down to give it a shot, I had the brake lever practically touching the grip when I pulled out the brake lock knob and I'm having no luck. Does the scoot have to be in a certain state before it actually works? I've tried it with the key just in the off position and once with the steering lock on but no luck there. I might just end up taking it to the dealer to see if they can figure out if I'm doing something wrong or if there's actually something wrong with the scoot itself.

Thanks for the help so far!
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

Had the same issue when I picked up mine from the dealer... I will go look for the thread and the guy who help me get this going in a sentence or two. I would try to explain but I've tossed back too many Bud limes... soooooo
Last edited by homey on Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
homey
Regular User
Regular User

Post by homey »

originalrocket quoting;

As for the parking brake not working, that is due to improper assembly by the dealer. Almost all PCX's have this issue.

to FIX:
Set scooter on center stand.
Rotate clockwise the rear drum brake adjustment (look in manual for location and operation)
spin the rear tire by hand with the engine off. and rotate the adjustment. find where the brake begins to apply, and then back off several turns.
pull in the rear brake several times, rotate, and test making sure the tire still rotates freely with no brakes applied.
Now, pull hard on the rear brake, hold it, and pull the parking brake out all the way. Release rear brake. Should work perfectly now. If not, you have the adjustment too loose. The key is keeping the rear wheel free to spin, but having the rear brakes apply with slight brake modulation. the parking brake seems to be sensitive in its engagement setting.

This absolutely was the fix 'sowaka' if you still don't get it I will make a drunken video but I prefer to get back to the party
Sowaka

Post by Sowaka »

homey wrote:originalrocket quoting;

As for the parking brake not working, that is due to improper assembly by the dealer. Almost all PCX's have this issue.

to FIX:
Set scooter on center stand.
Rotate clockwise the rear drum brake adjustment (look in manual for location and operation)
spin the rear tire by hand with the engine off. and rotate the adjustment. find where the brake begins to apply, and then back off several turns.
pull in the rear brake several times, rotate, and test making sure the tire still rotates freely with no brakes applied.
Now, pull hard on the rear brake, hold it, and pull the parking brake out all the way. Release rear brake. Should work perfectly now. If not, you have the adjustment too loose. The key is keeping the rear wheel free to spin, but having the rear brakes apply with slight brake modulation. the parking brake seems to be sensitive in its engagement setting.

This absolutely was the fix 'sowaka' if you still don't get it I will make a drunken video but I prefer to get back to the party
Man, thank you so much, that worked perfectly and the brakes feel like they require a lot less movement on the lever to apply now. Now all I need is to remove that darn hump!

Thanks again, I really appreciate it! :D
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

:D :D It appears that because I'm Australian I'm also knobless :D :D

JohnL
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

JohnL wrote::D :D It appears that because I'm Australian I'm also knobless :D :D

JohnL
I don't think you are missing much JohnL. For me the emergency brake feature serves only as a means to keep my rear brake cable adjusted properly. Every now and then you check to see if the E-brake works and if it doesn't revisit the procedure above until it does.

Since I found the need to properly adjust the e-brake just after I picked it up from the dealer because they didn't know how. (why I don't have a lot of faith in the mechs to handle 2015 PCX's) I've had to rotate clockwise the rear drum brake adjustment once again around 500 miles a couple turns. So you should know there is some initial stretching and seating of the drum brakes to watch for during break-in period whether you have an e-brake or not.

homie