Seat Latch not locking

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

stereoscopy
Year: 2014
Color: Black

Seat Latch not locking

Post by stereoscopy »

Hi guys, need some advice on this.
Now before I begin, I will say I have searched the forum already and read about how hard you need to push down on the seat for it to lock.
Unfortunately, my seat will 'click' into place with a lot of force but will still open when pulled. It will even pop open when sitting on it.

Have I got a dodgy latch?

This may also be important information, the seat and petrol lock buttons pretty much serve no purpose, it does not rock back and forth and provides no tactile information on if the petrol/seat is opened.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: Seat Latch not locking

Post by sendler2112 »

I have to pound the seat closed with my fist to get it to latch. But I have never seen it pop open after that. And I have to wiggle the gas flap door while holding the button to get it to open. These are little quirks I don't let bother me.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think there was a part on this forum where someone said that they adjusted the latch. I don't know where it is, but i do remember it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi and Welcome!
I can remember my fussy seat latch on my 2011, but it's not happening on my 2015 :P Thank you Honda!
I think you'll find the fix here on this thread: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... ix&start=0
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I can lend you my sister-in-law. She tips the scales at 300 lbs. and can she bounce. :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

So it looks like there are 2 viable solutions. The first is to adjust the latch, as skuuter had suggested in the thread WhiteNoise pointed to. The second is to trim the rubber bumpers on the underside of the seat. Either way should make it easier to close.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

I have the same problem. I asked the dealer to look at it. He leaned over the seat and pushed the latch into place. On my last Honda scooter, it took only a tiny push to latch the seat. I now do all of my riding with the seat unlatched. I never store valuables under the seat.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise. If the PCX seat unlock button ever stops working, i won't care. Has anyone had the unlatch button stop working?

I read reviews about PCX before buying mine. One guy said that the fuel filler cover was so flimsy that it would never hold up for long. It doesn't seem too bad to me.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

There are 2 round rubber bumpers on the underside of the seat where the latch "ring" is. ( I don't know what else to call the catch on the seat itself.) You can shave those bumpers with a knife and it should be much easier to latch.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

stereoscopy

Post by stereoscopy »

Thanks for the response Mel46.
I have read those threads before, and have double checked my seat.
However the issue I'm having is not that I can't get it to close, it's that once it is closed, you can easily pull it open.

The latch doesn't seem to lock in place securely. My seat/fuel button also seems to no longer working. The fuel compartment is also suffering the same issue where you can just pull it open. This is with the bike locked with keys removed from ignition.

So having said that, would trimming the seat plastic or moving the latch up in it's place make the latch lock securely?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

stereoscopy wrote: So having said that, would trimming the seat plastic or moving the latch up in it's place make the latch lock securely?
Because you are experiencing both tank and seat release issues don't you think better to go after the cabling? For example if the cables are under resistance then they might not be letting the springs return the mechanisms to their full extended positions (thus not locking down the seat) Of course getting some WD-40 in those cables would require some effort :roll: and then to be wrong about this would be most irritating.
stereoscopy

Post by stereoscopy »

So had a good look into this now and it seems like thee latch is indeed busted. So I'll need to replace it. Any tips on what to do? My PCX is the 2014 model 125, would latches from pre-2014 be compatible? I'm struggling to find an affordable replacement.

Thanks for the help.
Also it looks like the petrol cap was forced open at some point, so I'll need to bend the catch back. Any pictures out there of what the catch in that should look like?
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Is this what you wanted to see? Here's the best pic I have on file at the moment. Hope it helps. Having a different angle might be helpful too. Anyone?
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 5143 times
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
stereoscopy

Post by stereoscopy »

My petrol cap has a metal catch. I'll take a pic of it and post it. I'll probably take a pair of pliers to it while I'm at it.
Thanks for the pic.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WN is that the first time you opened your fuel access... mighty clean in there
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Monk visits once/week ;)
Go ahead homie, convince Me that "you're" petrol area is dirty! :lol:
Begin.....now! ____________________ .........
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

WhiteNoise wrote:^ Monk visits once/week ;)
Go ahead homie, convince Me that "you're" petrol area is dirty! :lol:
Begin.....now! ____________________ .........
I have spilt fuel a couple times and there is not much way to monk down around the base with the towelet provided by the station :lol: but I try... I did do that. Then I stopped wiping it out because as sure as shit the next guy who puts his cig out in the trash bin would go BOOM!

I actually experienced this recently when I saw a guy wiping his hands of spillage and dropping the towel into the trash by the entrance to the station, next guy tossed his butt and fire erupted and nobody noticed but homie :o this was a fun day for monk :lol: you don't want to be the guy who pushes the big red button.
stereoscopy

Post by stereoscopy »

Anyone know about if I can use a 2013 seat latch with a 2014 model PCX? I'm still struggling to find the part.
stereoscopy

Post by stereoscopy »

Here's a small update. I took the fuel lid apart and adjusted it with pliers, it locks fine now.
However, I'm still at a loss on the Seat Latch - I'm still unable to find a replacement part (I'm in the UK). Any help would be appreciated.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

I adjusted the latch and I now don't need to give the seat a massive whack to lock it down in place