Strange Noise (maybe from crankshaft area?)

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Safety Man
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Strange Noise (maybe from crankshaft area?)

Post by Safety Man »

So, following the excitement that I was able to do my own 5000 mile maintenance, just over 100 miles ago, my PCX developed a strange noise that seemingly comes from the crankshaft area. It almost sounds like the normal noise level is greatly amplified, producing this obnoxious almost rattling sound. I found a video on Youtube of a PCX making the same type of noise. Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWC1WyPYreY

Needless to say, my morale dropped significantly following this discovery. I am at work now and am planning to ride the bike back home (18 miles) later this afternoon. Hopefully nothing blows up on the way lol

What would you guys recommend I do after I get home? Any input would be greatly valued.
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Re: Strange Noise (maybe from crankshaft area?)

Post by tbln930 »

I was going to say that we have seen that video before. :P
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

Aha, found the video on the forum. Seems like there was no resolution on this issue, great. Either way, I'll probably just keep on riding it and will take it to Honda for an evaluation this Friday (four days from now).
tbln930
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by tbln930 »

Do you think the noise is coming from the engine or the CVT in the back?
2017 Kawasaki Versys X 300 ABS (Graphite) - 775 miles - Terry Adcox saddle, T-Rex skid, SW-Motech crash bars, Madstad windshield, Givi 30L top case, Ram X-Grip, thermometer, OEM center stand, OEM hand guards

2014 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 ABS Adventure (Candy Daring Red) - 8650 miles - too fast Givi Airflow WS, Givi V47 mount, Givi crash Bars, Givi skid plate, Ravetech GPS mount, USB power outlet, Easter Beaver Fuse box, Denali DR1 LEDs, MondoMoto LEDs, Tool Tube, Zumo 665 GPS, Cobra radar detector, Mobius HD camera

2013 Suzuki V-Strom 650 ABS Adventure (Metallic Thunder Gray) - Sold

2013 Honda PCX 150 (Candy Rose Red) - Sold

SECoda/tbln930
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

noise definitely coming from the back
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

Safety Man wrote:Aha, found the video on the forum. Seems like there was no resolution on this issue, great. Either way, I'll probably just keep on riding it and will take it to Honda for an evaluation this Friday (four days from now).
Just as a matter of interest, will the dealer be open on Good Friday? In Oz just about everything will be closed. :) :)
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

JohnL wrote:
Safety Man wrote:Aha, found the video on the forum. Seems like there was no resolution on this issue, great. Either way, I'll probably just keep on riding it and will take it to Honda for an evaluation this Friday (four days from now).
Just as a matter of interest, will the dealer be open on Good Friday? In Oz just about everything will be closed. :) :)
In the U.S. any opportunity to make money is a reason to be open..probably lots of "sales" that day too. I know where you are coming from. When I was visiting Germany around Christmas time everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) was closed for several days in a row..was really bewildering to me.
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

To follow up, took the PCX to Honda today. They listened to the noise and said that something is seriously wrong is with the scoot. Will keep you posted on the end result..should be a while from now, as they are busy. The scoot will be staying at the dealership for several days.
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

The problem was a chain retention devise (or something like that); warranty got the $170 repair bill covered. Yay for me :D
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by DAB »

Safety Man wrote:The problem was a chain retention devise (or something like that); warranty got the $170 repair bill covered. Yay for me :D
Cam chain tensioner?
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Safety Man

Post by Safety Man »

Yes, cam chain tensioner, thank you.