Replacing the front fork seals

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Replacing the front fork seals

Post by jcpeden »

Any guides on this? I've seen some folks suggest just sealing up the existing (damaged) seal but I'd be happy enough replacing them as I think at least one of the stanchions has leaked a lot of fork oil which would need to be topped up.

If I do it myself, is it straightforward enough? I've changed the seals on an Aprilia RS125 before but as they're upside down forks I found it quite messy and wasn't confident that the seals had actually sealed properly.
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Replacing the front fork seals

Post by jcpeden »

OK, so I believe I need 2x fork seals, retaining pins and dust caps. All told, that comes to over £40 which seems pretty expensive!
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Just reading this thread in which GN2 decided to replace his fork legs altogether:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... s&start=20
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Took a look at Seal Mate and some 10W fork oil. Was able to pick up both on eBay for around £12 delivered.

It then occurred to me to actually check the legs themselves. On closer inspection there is some pitting higher up the legs towards the yoke. Looks like stone chips that have then rusted away.

I can replace the legs altogether with a salvaged pair for about £60 so will consider that if they're still leaky after I hit them with Seal Mate.

On another note though, there wasn't anywhere obvious to top the fork oil up, which means I probably have to disassemble the forks, which means it's probably just easier to buy and fit some new ones?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Is the pitting in the swept area of the fork, or is it all above the range of travel?
It might be possible to remove the corroion using a very fine abrasive.
Fork oil replacement requires some disassembly and there's no fork oil drain plug, remember them?
A mint condition pair of used forks was the route I went down when mine had this exact problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

The pitting is towards the top of the yoke but probably still within the range of travel of the lower section of the fork.

For simplicity's sake I think I'm just going to swap them with a new pair.
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Picked up a set of used forks from a bike that had done 4000miles for £50. They're going on the bike this weekend as I'm pretty sure there is no fork oil left up front. Everytime I hit a bump the front mudguard clatters around and my teeth rattle!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Keep an ACF-50 soaked rag in a poly bag in the glove pocket and give the chrome stanchions a wipe with it every so often ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

New forks went on today, actually a pretty straightforward swap. Took the bike out for a spin and they feel pretty good. I'm going to clean up and sell the old forks. One is fine but the other pisses fork oil everywhere and was really mucky.
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

I can't get my right fork leg apart to change the seal as the bolt at the bottom has rounded. Which fork leg leaks and how much would you want for them bud?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Keep an ACF-50 soaked rag in a poly bag in the glove pocket and give the chrome stanchions a wipe with it every so often ;)

You're living the life.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Keep an ACF-50 soaked rag in a poly bag in the glove pocket and give the chrome stanchions a wipe with it every so often ;)

You're living the life.
Oh I know, sometimes I even have chocolate digestives instead of the ordinary ones.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:

You're living the life.
Oh I know, sometimes I even have chocolate digestives instead of the ordinary ones.

I have shortbread or oat cakes.

Yuppie