Should I replace my battery, or just charge it?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: White

Should I replace my battery, or just charge it?

Post by jcpeden »

My scooter is typically used for an 8 mile round trip to and from work. This takes 15-20 minutes each day. Occasionally, I'll pop out on the bike but it's for shorter journies and I think the battery isn't getting properly charged as I've had to jump start it more than once already.

Is it possible the battery needs replacing (bike has done 12,000 miles and was built in 2011) or should I just pick up a smart charger?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Should I replace my battery, or just charge it?

Post by Mel46 »

Is that the original battery?? Time to replace it if it is. Also, you do need a Battery Tender because you aren't charging the battery enough when riding. If you leave the leads that come with the Battery Tender attached to the battery, you can top off your battery when you get home each day. I think I read somewhere that each time a battery is used to start a vehicle it takes 10 miles of riding to charge it back to what it was before it was used for starting. Keep in mind that your battery is used for all of your lights and electronics (including your dash), even when you are sitting at a light, where the engine is idling and not charging. If you use the start-stop on it you will suck more current out of it because it has to start the bike a few times. That does a number on the battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Mel46 wrote:Is that the original battery?? Time to replace it if it is. Also, you do need a Battery Tender because you aren't charging the battery enough when riding. If you leave the leads that come with the Battery Tender attached to the battery, you can top off your battery when you get home each day. I think I read somewhere that each time a battery is used to start a vehicle it takes 10 miles of riding to charge it back to what it was before it was used for starting. Keep in mind that your battery is used for all of your lights and electronics (including your dash), even when you are sitting at a light, where the engine is idling and not charging. If you use the start-stop on it you will suck more current out of it because it has to start the bike a few times. That does a number on the battery.
Indeed. And if you're using the original battery on a 5-6 year old scooter, that's pretty durn good.

What you heard is pretty accurate Mel.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Ok, point taken!

I'll pick up a smart charger this weekend.

I'll also replace the battery. Any advantage to a Yuasa battery (£75) vs. an unbranded one (£20)?

--

Apparently they're very good!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/ ... tm?t=97640
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Yeas has a name for itself as a dependable battery. The last time I purchased an unbranded battery I ended up replacing it a year later. I replaced it with a Yuasa and it has been running strong since then.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Thanks Mel,

Smart charger is on the way. Now for a new battery...
jcpeden
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jcpeden »

Just a quick update, I picked up a smart charger but the battery is definitely screwed. I connected it up (came with a fused set of terminals that I can just leave connected, so no need to remove the battery cover after installation) and the charger reported the battery as being fully charged.

I left it installed overnight, ran the bike the next day and the battery was totally flat the following morning. Enough to prime the fuel pump but no more than that.

I'm ordering a new battery now...hopefully that solves the problem!
bobontour
Year: 2016

Post by bobontour »

Hi, Just wondering if the new battery worked, as I have had a couple of times not starting.
But also I only go 10 miles a day so I'm on the verge of not charging up the battery while riding it.
So very interested if your sorted now. :roll:
Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

I don't think jcpeden is using his scooter at the moment.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5978
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Battery of lack of charging on the bike, but so far it seems to come down to the battery when people charge it off bike and it fails in use.
the2dwarf
Color: Red

Post by the2dwarf »

jcpeden wrote:My scooter is typically used for an 8 mile round trip to and from work. This takes 15-20 minutes each day. Occasionally, I'll pop out on the bike but it's for shorter journies and I think the battery isn't getting properly charged as I've had to jump start it more than once already.

Is it possible the battery needs replacing (bike has done 12,000 miles and was built in 2011) or should I just pick up a smart charger?
Just replaced mine with a gel type from ebay. Considering the Scooter was built in 2010 the battery was already 6 years old and pretty tired...