Bigger Fuel Tank for 2013 PCX

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Bigger Fuel Tank for 2013 PCX

Post by ScooterAddict »

I would like to know if anyone knows if the larger 2.1gal gas tank will fit into a 2013 PCX150? If I have to do minor mods, I would still try. I get nervous anytime I go over 100-120mi..
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Re: Bigger Fuel Tank for 2013 PCX

Post by honkerman »

I'm not thinking it will be all that easy of a swap. They aren't the same at all. Then there's the fuel pumps which are inside the tank, and they are different from the 2013 and 2015 models. You would probably have to tinker with your ECU.

To be honest, I'm getting 100+ mpg. On the stock tank, I fill up about every 125 miles. If you're in a rural area where you have to go more than 120-150 miles between filling stations, then you might just want to invest in an auxiliary fuel can.
Attachments
2013 fuel tank
2013 fuel tank
image.jpeg (45.9 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
2015 fuel tank
2015 fuel tank
image.jpeg (45.75 KiB) Viewed 2223 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

honkerman wrote:I'm not thinking it will be all that easy of a swap. They aren't the same at all. Then there's the fuel pumps which are inside the tank, and they are different from the 2013 and 2015 models. You would probably have to tinker with your ECU.

To be honest, I'm getting 100+ mpg. On the stock tank, I fill up about every 125 miles. If you're in a rural area where you have to go more than 120-150 miles between filling stations, then you might just want to invest in an auxiliary fuel can.

Honkerman, I was really hoping for good news! Like, yes I have installed one into my 2013 and I absolutely love the upgrade. Really extends my touring range. But if this was an easy install I would do it. Find a crashed 2014-2016 and buy the fuel tank provided it went into the same spot with no mods needed.

I really appreciate the reply and info!
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Crushing dreams...it's how I roll

:lol: :lol:
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I don't know. They look pretty similar.... no way of telling without trying.
nicuts
Color: White

Post by nicuts »

any updates on this discussion, I have an opportunity to get the 2 gallon tank from a 2017 PCX and would love to fit it in my 2013 model, any feedback will be appreciated

tx nico
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Someone did have a go at a tank swap and there was a bunch of pictures, but if I recall correctly it wasn't a success.
If you get the tank installed the filler neck doesn't align with the bodywork.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Someone did have a go at a tank swap and there was a bunch of pictures, but if I recall correctly it wasn't a success.
If you get the tank installed the filler neck doesn't align with the bodywork.
That's how I remember it as well. . ..

A lot of work and frustration. :roll:

That said, I top off my Zuma 125 tank out of a lawn equipment gas can. I add the Startron fuel additive to reduce phasing or other fuel related problems. So the fuel keeps getting refreshed all year long. If I'm not using it for the Zuma I'm using it for the lawn tractor or mower or snowblower etc. . .. It's like having a Shell Station at my own house. Having a smaller gas tank and limited travel range doesn't seem like such an issue when I know I don't have to go out of my way to get to a gas station several times a week. When my scooter is thirsty I just pour it a drink when I get home. Sort of like giving a dog a pan of water after a walk. :lol:

Other advantages to this method?

1) You can take your time filling up the scooter and reduce the risk of overfilling. Just pour in smaller amounts and look down the filler pipe in between to see how much is in there. Depending upon the machine you may hear a change in the sound of the filling process as it approaches the full level due to quieter surroundings. But checking often is better. . ..

2) If there is a line at the gas pumps you don't have to feel rushed or sit there like an idiot waiting for someone to buy their bread, milk, and cigarettes in addition to paying for their gas.

3) It's not that much of a hassle. I top my Zuma off about every 75 miles even though I have more left in tank. The nice thing about smaller gas tanks in scooters is that you are continuously refilling them and thus keeping a fresher supply of fuel on tap.

Just my two cents worth. . ..

Occasionally I bring two gas cans to the filling station but usually just one. One can is around 5 gallons and the other about 2.5 gallons. As the 5 gallon can starts to get down around half full I top it off from the 2.5 gallon can. Then the next time I go to fill up the car gas tank I just take the 2.5 gallon can with me. Every once in a while I will run both gas cans dry and fill them both up with fresh fuel. So far so good . . . can't complain. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Here is the link to the thread where the guy did swap out his tank for one of the new ones.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8052
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Here is the link to the thread where the guy did swap out his tank for one of the new ones.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8052
Wow Mel you are good!

So he did indeed get it to fit after all and then some. . ..

It did require a lot work though . . . and tweaking. That I did remember.

Thanks for the link! :D
nicuts
Color: White

Post by nicuts »

tx all for your updates and the links to the post
kudus to him for seeing it through, was a lot of work