Speedo Sensor Problem

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

tonypcx125uk
Year: 2011
Color: silver

Speedo Sensor Problem

Post by tonypcx125uk »

My speedo has gone and the needle is moving and choke light now staying on. I have 2011 model pcx 125 and could do with instructions and drawings how to remove the sensor cover and to remove the plug to clean up possibly corroded connections as have ridden all winter in and out of London. So I suspect I have collected salt and other nasties that cause things to fail.Any instructions or tips would be appreciated other than obvious ones like don't ride in the winter lol.need to get this as difficult to avoid speed cameras in London commute and I'm having to go very slow so I don't get a ticket.Also will it matter if my choke light keeps staying on?.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Color: White

Re: Speedo Sensor Problem

Post by maddiedog »

Choke light? The PCX doesn't have a choke light. It has FI, and no need for a choke. Something else may be wrong.

This how-to has WAY more than you need, but the 4th-8th picture shows what you need to do to take off the cover over the sensor : http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4373

Note you don't have to remove the CVT cover to remove the speedometer cover, but you do need to remove the wheel to get to the front cover's allen bolt.

This picture from the linked how-to shows where the sensor is:

You need to take the rear wheel off to get to the cover over that sensor, which requires removal of the swingarm, which requires removal of the exhaust. It's a bit of a job.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

i have had the same issue, check the wires that connect to the speed sensor, on my scoot it was one of the wires under the plastic protector behind the air box.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
tonypcx125uk

Post by tonypcx125uk »

I will have a look at the weekend thanks for your replies I really appreciate it.so I don't have to take the wheel off just the air box?.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

You might be able to remove the rear allen bolt and bend the cover mostly out of the way to get at it without removing the tire. The proper way to do it is to remove the wheel though.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
tonypcx125uk

Post by tonypcx125uk »

Can't get wheel off as can't remove the swingarm . I have removed all relevant bolts and exhaust and shock and wheel nut and washer but the swingarm won't budge.The airbox side I removed everything but the inner part as I was worried I wouldn't get the tube that goes into the back back in if you know what I mean?
tonypcx125uk

Post by tonypcx125uk »

Well thanks to Dragon uk he got the wheel off to have a look at the sensor he cleaned it up and still the same.he then replaced it with two more sensors and still the same.so he then removed the speedo and replaced them with another set and still the same.we then looked at the plugs under the storage under the seat to look for any corrosion and all looked ok.so don't know what else to check as speedo doesn't work.Is there a fault diagnostic tool available for the wiring or a way of checking for faulty connections?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Wire chaffed through on the frame?

Follow the wiring to the front to check.
I'm sure someone posted about this problem before and that's what was wrong.

See this.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?t=5907
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

As Tony was saying we've checked two more sensors, different set of clocks and fuse.
His PCX being v1 has speedo sensor cables with extra connector just before throttle body (my v3 has cables going straight into the loom) it all looked fine, no signs of corrosion inside terminals.
Shame I don't have electric meter (will 100% put it on my tool wishlist), anyway since then I've done some more research as not being able to fix it is doing my head in, looked at PCX wiring diagram and if Tony doesn't get it fixed today I might see if we can bell wires to check for continuity.
Anyone smart with car/bike electrics to help me a bit as one of the wires from speed sensor goes to few places so it confuses me slightly.
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

Could someone please help or advise.
Looking at electric diagram in this topic http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=771 we have 3 wires
pink/green goes from sensor to clocks so easy to bell out and check for continuity but the other two are going to few places and don't really know how to check it ie. I would need to have ignition on or engine running.