Konked out at red light

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

philly beamen
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl blue

Konked out at red light

Post by philly beamen »

Hey folks,
New rider here. Just recently bought a 2018 pcx and its been great. Just under 500 miles now and it putterd and killed at the light right before i got home. Started right back up but could feel it wanting to putter again but luckily the light turned and i was off. No problems untill that. I used shell gas for my first fill up and used pure gas (no ethenal) for my second. Still have two fuel bars so not empty. I think thats all the info i have. Also, i've only put the regular gas in, should i be putting the midgrade or premium instead? Any info would be great, thanks.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Konked out at red light

Post by homie »

87 octane is what the manual calls for with PCX. I'm beginning to wonder about fuel quality lately. Don't put any fuel additives, you have a NEW bike. Get rid of what's left in that tank and head for a high traffic Shell station. One that turns over fuel like a Costco station can.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Sounds like fuel related to me as well. Higher octane fuels are no benefit what-so-ever - the octane rating is an anti-knock factor mostly to accommodate higher compression engines to prevent the charge igniting before maximum compression - since the PCX engine is designed for regular fuel (hence no engine knock) there's nothing to be gained by using a more expensive fuel that it also doesn't knock with. It would be a bit like buying a Ferrari instead of a Toyota Camry when both were to be permanently limited to 100 km/hr - it's just more expense for no gain.

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

philly beamen wrote:Hey folks,
New rider here. Just recently bought a 2018 pcx and its been great. Just under 500 miles now and it putterd and killed at the light right before i got home. Started right back up but could feel it wanting to putter again but luckily the light turned and i was off. No problems untill that. I used shell gas for my first fill up and used pure gas (no ethenal) for my second. Still have two fuel bars so not empty. I think thats all the info i have. Also, i've only put the regular gas in, should i be putting the midgrade or premium instead? Any info would be great, thanks.
Its under warranty, get it sorted from that. Asking here will just spew forth the google and YouTube educated internet intelligencia
philly beamen

Post by philly beamen »

Thanks for the help guys. I figured it was probably the gas. Ill run it out and fill it back with shell and will post to update you guys. Thanks again.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

philly beamen wrote:Thanks for the help guys. I figured it was probably the gas. Ill run it out and fill it back with shell and will post to update you guys. Thanks again.

I take it it was a one off. It happens. If it happened a few times it would be one of those things that would have me checking the valve clearances
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Sounds like a fuel related problem to me. New PCX eh?

Ask yourself "What did I do differently?" just before it started to change it's operating characteristics.

I go to the same service station (Shell) 97% of the time. I always get 87 octane. I most always add some Startron fuel additive to avoid ethanol problems. Knock on wood no fuel problems. . .in fact no problems so far. It would be nice of the seat was a bit more comfortable but if wishes were horses beggars would ride. :D

http://www.starbrite.com/startron
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

The honda groms had a fuel pump recall a couple times. Could it be your fuel pump?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

PCX150Rider wrote:Sounds like a fuel related problem to me. New PCX eh?
Ask yourself "What did I do differently?" just before it started to change it's operating characteristics.
I go to the same service station (Shell) 97% of the time. I always get 87 octane. I most always add some Startron fuel additive to avoid ethanol problems. Knock on wood no fuel problems. . .in fact no problems so far. It would be nice of the seat was a bit more comfortable but if wishes were horses beggars would ride. :D
http://www.starbrite.com/startron
Should that be 97 octane not 87?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote: Should that be 97 octane not 87?
Not sure if Honda have changed anything for the 2018 model or not, but for my model it's ...

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

91 RON is about equal to 87 Octane.

My 2017 LED PCX runs on 87 Octane here in the U.S.. :geek:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Don't get confused we have seen this thread before. USA 87 octane no more. Anywhere else in the unregulated world can read higher numbers for the same level of purity.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PCX150Rider wrote:
91 RON is about equal to 87 Octane.
km / miles

litres / imperial gallons / US gallons

RON / Octane

kg / pounds

give my right one for standardisation!
philly beamen

Post by philly beamen »

Update: iv'e since ran two tanks of shell and havnt had the problem again. Thanks again. Oh and my book says 87 octane
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

philly beamen wrote:Update: iv'e since ran two tanks of shell and havnt had the problem again. Thanks again. Oh and my book says 87 octane
That's nice.... END!
Whitenoise if this thread dosent end can you change the title to something less disturbing? I fall for it every time it gets bumped :roll:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Agree. Still a "K" word but not a jaw dropper.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You