Tire Inflator Blew My 5A Fuse

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Tire Inflator Blew My 5A Fuse

Post by iceman »

I purchased an inflator from the US as it was a highly rated portable one that drew 5-6A rather than 10A. but I've only ever run it off the battery direct with the bike not running and not used the 5A accessory outlet. It's only on twice for about 10-20 seconds every few months dependant on how many PSI I am down and never had an issue with the biek starting (original battery, bike now over 3 years old and always stored outside but used all year round).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

You are never going to use this stuff you know...

Why not carry a small bicycle pump if you must?
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I'm glad I bought my inflator as I got fed up finding the supermarket inflator's broken when I wanted to check my tyre pressure. So handy to have one to hand and if you wish, carry with you on long journeys. Mines a Motopump which cost more than many of the cheaper ones but has an accurate gauge and does not draw too many amps.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

PaCoX wrote: As TheMaverick stated earlier, would you recommend always idling the engine while drawing power from the battery to inflate tires?
Put another way, having an inflated tyre but a battery too flat to start the bike again wouldn't be a good thing. May as well get as much energy flowing in the direction of the battery whilst a lot is coming out the other way.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

"Although I understand, I think, the purpose of the Battery Tender Jr., I don't expect my PCX to ever be garaged or stored for any length of time considering I don't get snowy winter in my part of California."

The Battery Tender Jr comes in handy for multiple things other than just keeping your battery charged during snowy weather. If you go on extended vacation it would be a good idea to put the Battery Tender on and keep the battery topped off. Also, if you have the Battery Tender leads permanently attached, you can buy several types of adapters for the leads including a USB adapter (one or two ports)...I have used one on my bike multiple times, especially if I have multiple things plugged in while riding, such as GPS and phone, a cigarette lighter port, a solar maintainer, and even an extension cable to allow you to use your bike to jump another bike (just make sure you have the red wire matching the red on the extension and the red wire on the alligator clips matching the red wire on the extension). I have used mine to jump start my wife's bike so I know that this works.
In short, they come in handy for much more than just topping off your bike battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PaCoX
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

Post by PaCoX »

Mel46 wrote:"Although I understand, I think, the purpose of the Battery Tender Jr., I don't expect my PCX to ever be garaged or stored for any length of time considering I don't get snowy winter in my part of California."

The Battery Tender Jr comes in handy for multiple things other than just keeping your battery charged during snowy weather. If you go on extended vacation it would be a good idea to put the Battery Tender on and keep the battery topped off. Also, if you have the Battery Tender leads permanently attached, you can buy several types of adapters for the leads including a USB adapter (one or two ports)...I have used one on my bike multiple times, especially if I have multiple things plugged in while riding, such as GPS and phone, a cigarette lighter port, a solar maintainer, and even an extension cable to allow you to use your bike to jump another bike (just make sure you have the red wire matching the red on the extension and the red wire on the alligator clips matching the red wire on the extension). I have used mine to jump start my wife's bike so I know that this works.
In short, they come in handy for much more than just topping off your bike battery.
Hey Mel46, I tried to PM you, but my message just seems to be stuck in the "Outbox". Do you use the eyelet connectors on your battery? Also, with all the accessories you run, are you running wires from the battery compartment through the body of the PCX and up through the dashboard? Pics?
* 2017 Honda PCX 150 (Pearl White)
* National Cycle Windscreen (medium)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Howdy again PaCox! Your PM to Mel will remain in your "outbox" until Mel opens it. After he's read it, you will see that same PM in your "sent" box (just think of the "sent" box as mail being received by the recipient).

I can help you with one of your questions. I did use the eyelet connector's, they're placed on the batteries + (positive) and - (negative) terminals. You can see a bit of that here:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (114.62 KiB) Viewed 805 times
I then placed that small wire through an opening in the top left of the batteries cover. That makes it easily accessible under my seat.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.64 KiB) Viewed 805 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.05 KiB) Viewed 805 times
In my case, I did have to buy the optional extension wire because my electrical outlet is a distance away. That longer extension connects directly into the smaller one and then...Viola! I have Tender Power

Btw, my seat is closed while my battery is being "tendered." I ran the shorter wire through an open space found on the right side of the seat (near the seats latch). It then hangs outside the bike. This is where my extension wire gets connected.
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Here are photos of some other bits that connect to the Battery Tender Jr., brought to you by Deltran. Google these items for best pricing as you would Any Item.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (48.97 KiB) Viewed 803 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.57 KiB) Viewed 803 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 803 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (28.79 KiB) Viewed 803 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 803 times
image.png
image.png (117.6 KiB) Viewed 803 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I answered your pm. Just don't freak out when you see my electronics setup. I have an unbelievable amount of stuff connected directly to the battery, for very good reasons. For instance, my add on front spot lights are separate because they pull so much current AND because if the regular lights blow a fuse or have another problem, I can turn on the spot lights and drive home. Then there is my horn. The weak little horn that comes on the bike is pathetic. The wires that run it are not capable of high current, so I use them to run the relay for my Bad Boy air horn.
I also have small strobe lights on the bike for night riding. I can turn them on or off from my handlebar switch.
...and then there is the Battery Tender cable... :-)
So I have a lot going on.
Whitenoise gives you a good example of single wire setups that look good and stay out of the way. There are a lot of accessories for the Battery Tender because of its great quick disconnect setup.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

PaCoX
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl White

Post by PaCoX »

WhiteNoise, thanks for explaining the "Outbox" and "Sent messages" folders in the PM. Apologies to all those who have received multiple copies of the same message from me when I've been PM-ing with you.

Also, thanks to both you and Mel46 (via PM) for the informative pictures and descriptions of how you take advantage of the PCX battery with the help of the Battery Tender leads. It's always good to have options to fully customize and utilize this awesome scooter.
* 2017 Honda PCX 150 (Pearl White)
* National Cycle Windscreen (medium)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I found a place to stash my air pump. First, I took my pump apart. I then got a big enough ziplock to put the pump in and stashed in in the front fairing of the scoot. Pictures might be a better description. I'll be wrapping the pump in a sheet of foam so that it won't rip through the ziplock bag.

Gil
Attachments
4.png
4.png (982.14 KiB) Viewed 784 times
three.png
three.png (957.57 KiB) Viewed 784 times
two.png
two.png (606.26 KiB) Viewed 784 times
one.png
one.png (521.58 KiB) Viewed 784 times
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:I found a place to stash my air pump. First, I took my pump apart. I then got a big enough ziplock to put the pump in and stashed in in the front fairing of the scoot. Pictures might be a better description. I'll be wrapping the pump in a sheet of foam so that it won't rip through the ziplock bag.

Gil
Ever thought of just putting a Givi box on the back? I find mine is invaluable for holding rain gear, first aid kid, tie-down strops, inflator, umbrella, and a box of other stuff. In fact I've just ordered an even bigger one. Dirt cheap.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:I found a place to stash my air pump. First, I took my pump apart. I then got a big enough ziplock to put the pump in and stashed in in the front fairing of the scoot. Pictures might be a better description. I'll be wrapping the pump in a sheet of foam so that it won't rip through the ziplock bag.

Gil
Ever thought of just putting a Givi box on the back? I find mine is invaluable for holding rain gear, first aid kid, tie-down strops, inflator, umbrella, and a box of other stuff. In fact I've just ordered an even bigger one. Dirt cheap.
I have one, but I need as much space free in my Top box and underseat storage as possible.I have a 47 liter top box. I store my jacket, boots, helmet and gloves in them. It's some free storage.

My top box was 80 bucks, cheap. On the other side of the fairing there is some bungees, and tire patch kit in a ziplock bag.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Sounds like you've got it sorted. I usually put my helmet, gloves and jacket under the seat.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:Sounds like you've got it sorted. I usually put my helmet, gloves and jacket under the seat.
I think so. I place my jacket under the seat, my helmet in the trunk along with the motorcycle boots and gloves. My jacket is kind of bulky and I have a full face helmet.
Its great leaving everything in the scoot and walking to class.

Gil
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I use a Schuberth C3 Pro full-face helmet - fits under the seat just fine. My usual jacket is a puffer jacket, so squishes down pretty small, although to be honest, most of the time I just keep it on.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

IMG_20170918_171145.jpg
IMG_20170918_171145.jpg (106.81 KiB) Viewed 763 times
My jacket fits nicely under my seat, while the helmet and gloves fit in my tailbox.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

If a flat repair kit is desired for on the road use, consider putting a "noodle" kit and a bicycle hand pump under the seat, these small pumps normally fill 80 -100 psi tires, the scooter tires are much less. Be careful with air pumps at gas stations, some of them can toss a lot of air in a per seconds.
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

I have a option I use a device called Dynaplug.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Gil wrote:Thanks for sharing, as I bought one of those small slime air pumps. I got the $20 dollar one though. Which one do you have?
I got a flat today and I was outside of town, barely made it to a gas station to patch my tire. I had just bought a tire plug kit, but no inflator kit. Now I have a pump and an air pump, ready.

Which pump do you have?
Gil
Bicycle shops sell a small CO2 tire inflator that uses the same little canister that a air rifle does. They work great and are "overkill" for a bicycle tire so you need to be careful not to over-inflate, it has an on-off trigger. Would be fine on a PCX-type tire. You could always carry several canisters. The whole thing assembled is probably 5" x 1.5"; the canister is stored in the inflator - but (at least in mine) upside down to prevent accidental discharge .

Google " CO2 bike tire inflator " and you'll see lots of various brands.