Tire pressure questions

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Yuppicide
Year: 2017
Color: Dark Blue

Tire pressure questions

Post by Yuppicide »

Just bought a Tire pressure guage and checked my tires...
Manual says 29 front/33 rear
Tires say 33 front/41 rear????
What is proper PSI?

Actual tire pressure on my PCX was 26/27....
Used Compressor at gas station to fill front to 29...
Rear would not fill higher than 27!!!!!

Am I doing something wrong?
2017 PCX 150 in Dark Pearl Blue.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Tire pressure questions

Post by Gil »

The pressure rating in the tire is the maximum the tire can take. The rating in the scoot is the recommended pressure by honda. Also don't forget to add air when the tires are cold. Tire pressure will go up about 4psi from cold to hot.

You can also up the pressure higher than recommended. I have find out that 38psi on my rear IRC tire makes for a nicer ride.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Also, did you use your tire gauge when you filled up your rear tire? Those gas station pumps don't work right sometimes. You could also have a puncture. Listen for air leaks.

Gill
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Yuppicide

Post by Yuppicide »

I brought my guage to the gas station this morning around 9:30. Only rode 2 blocks to Station, so tire probably still cold.....
Checked, filled, checked again....
It took really long to get the front tire from 26 to 29, so maybe their compressor sucks? Idk.

Checked the back tire: 27
"Filled it"....
Checked again: Still 27!!!!
Pushed the valve stem thing, a little air comes out...
Check it: 25
Fill it back up....
Check again: 27
Fill, check, 27......Fill longer, check, 27!!!!!!!

I guess I'll try another gas station after work....
I have a bicycle pump at home....can I use that if I have to?
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Your bicycle pump will work fine - actually probably give you more control. The big question is the accuracy of any gauge. Pick one that allows you to check and then bleed off excess, and use it consistently.

"Man with one watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches never sure."
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

GeorgeSK wrote:Your bicycle pump will work fine - actually probably give you more control. The big question is the accuracy of any gauge. Pick one that allows you to check and then bleed off excess, and use it consistently.

"Man with one watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches never sure."
Beware the man with only one gun, he'll surely know how to use it.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:You can also up the pressure higher than recommended. I have find out that 38psi on my rear IRC tire makes for a nicer ride.
Just be aware that doing that for a light rider changes a few things;

- It reduces rolling resistance due to smaller contact patch so you'll theoretically get better economy & top-speed

- It can decrease tyre life because the wear is on a smaller contact patch

- It lower's the tyre temperature which lowers the grip (warmer tyres grip better), which can affect cornering and braking

- It increases tyre stability (less side wall flex)

- It decreases grip due to smaller contact patch

I tried running my rear at 40 PSI (max stated on the tyre) - didn't work well for the tyre. Now I start at 36 (I often carry a pillion) and let it drift down to 33 or 34 on the FOBO TPMS before topping up again.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Garages and gas stations have air compressors the may or may not have been serviced in recent times. Many of us have purchased our own portable compressors. They are not that expensive. Just remember that those that run off of your battery, and have cigarette lighter accessory male plugs will not work in the accessory socket that comes standard on the bike. It will blow the fuse. Buy an adapter that attaches directly to the battery.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Yuppicide

Post by Yuppicide »

bike pump for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

:D
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Take all the hassle out a tire pressures with this pump. I realize it's too expensive for some people , but that doesn't bother me , it works so damn well. Connect to the tire , set the digital pressure you want, hit the button and it inflates until It gets to target pressure, and then shuts off. Disconnect, its a cordless rechargeable.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019F ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Jge64 wrote:Take all the hassle out a tire pressures with this pump. I realize it's too expensive for some people , but that doesn't bother me , it works so damn well. Connect to the tire , set the digital pressure you want, hit the button and it inflates until It gets to target pressure, and then shuts off. Disconnect, its a cordless rechargeable.

Looks really great. I ended up buying a cheap/nasty 12v compressor to keep onboard in case of emergency; does the job, but nowhere near as nice looking at this one - nor as practical to store onboard.

As an emergency pump it seems like one would need to ensure they topped up the battery from time to time since it can only be recharged from a 12v source, not run from one.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Yuppicide wrote:bike pump for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

X2
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Jge64 wrote:Take all the hassle out a tire pressures with this pump. I realize it's too expensive for some people , but that doesn't bother me , it works so damn well. Connect to the tire , set the digital pressure you want, hit the button and it inflates until It gets to target pressure, and then shuts off. Disconnect, its a cordless rechargeable.

I've seen these, they look good. If you a recommending them I think I'll have another look....
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
I've seen these, they look good. If you a recommending them I think I'll have another look....
Mine is portable but needs power from the bike or other source. This looks interesting, but I would have glossed over it as the amount of 2-3 stars is a concern on quality control - too many people ended up with faulty ones from new.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:You can also up the pressure higher than recommended. I have find out that 38psi on my rear IRC tire makes for a nicer ride.
Just be aware that doing that for a light rider changes a few things;

- It reduces rolling resistance due to smaller contact patch so you'll theoretically get better economy & top-speed

- It can decrease tyre life because the wear is on a smaller contact patch

- It lower's the tyre temperature which lowers the grip (warmer tyres grip better), which can affect cornering and braking

- It increases tyre stability (less side wall flex)

- It decreases grip due to smaller contact patch

I tried running my rear at 40 PSI (max stated on the tyre) - didn't work well for the tyre. Now I start at 36 (I often carry a pillion) and let it drift down to 33 or 34 on the FOBO TPMS before topping up again.
All good points, I'll just let it go down to 36 then. At stock PSI, I thought the contact patch was too big. Thats why I upped the pressure.

Gil
ImageImage
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote: All good points, I'll just let it go down to 36 then. At stock PSI, I thought the contact patch was too big. Thats why I upped the pressure.
You don't look like a heavy guy - so if that's the case, book says 33 (36 is to stop the tyre overheating with a pillion on the back). It's not the end of the world either way, but at 36 you'll probably have a little less traction (lower temp and smaller contact patch) & less tyre life, but a bit more speed.

I played around with them a bit but concluded the book was best for the stock tyres that we have on it in NZ, but you're probably only changing things by 10% or so.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
you you wrote:
Mine is portable but needs power from the bike or other source. This looks interesting, but I would have glossed over it as the amount of 2-3 stars is a concern on quality control - too many people ended up with faulty ones from new.
It's 4* overall with 64% giving a 5* for flip sake on a $40 product :roll:
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

I bought this because I have a friend that had one he also liked it very much. I don't read the reviews much on amzn, most of them are plants anyway. But the point is not this particular unit , it is the fact that you can find many inflators these days that automatically will shut off when you get to the prescribed inflation pressure. I own another That is 12 V, but is a bit more cumbersome to carry around. So find something that automatically shuts off and it's much easier to take care of this problem.

In getting back to this particular unit, Because it is so small and compact, it is best for topping off a tire. I would think it would get far too hot to bring a car tire up from 0 pounds.

My rear tire is the culprit. It loses about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds every 60 days or so, and I'm not willing to go find out why. So this unit works great, this morning it was 32, I set the unit for 34 , 20 seconds later my fobobike sensor read 34.
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Here's another one...… I also own this one, and it works very well , just not as compact. I use it on the Camaro.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L9 ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Jge64 wrote:My rear tire is the culprit. It loses about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds every 60 days or so, and I'm not willing to go find out why. So this unit works great, this morning it was 32, I set the unit for 34 , 20 seconds later my fobobike sensor read 34.
My rear tyre loses about 5psi every 2-3 months, the front is better - never investigated why but I just top it up. Soon to be replaced anyway.