Banner ideas

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Should we start using image banners ad described below, or keep it simple with the current banner?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:37 am

Keep it simple, and leave the current banner.
40%
I like the idea, do it.
27%
I like the idea, do it. I'd be willing to nominate some pictures too.
33%

Total votes: 15

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Banner ideas

Post by maddiedog »

WhiteNoise had a cool idea in this thread about making a photo into our banner.

I mocked it up and think this might have potential:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (256.25 KiB) Viewed 2470 times

I'll create a new sticky thread in the Gallery subforum every month to post picture nominations for the banner. You can nominate your own pics, someone else's pics, any cool looking graphic, or whatever, to be selected as the banner for the next month. At the end of the month, we'll post up a poll for a couple of days with the nominations. The picture voted for the most will be changed into a banner.

To prevent having a GINORMOUS banner that takes up half a page, the images in the banner thread will have to be able to get sliced down into a banner no more than 200px in height, and no more than 800px wide.

What do you think, good idea or not?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: Banner ideas

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hmm... As a long term reference, I'm thinking it might be helpful to explain Here:
a) What a "sticky thread is"
b) Have a detailed explanation of "How To" reduce a photo's pixels to spec, in order to qualify for an entry
c) Then "How To" submit your entry.
I personally think we would see a lot more pics if it were made Very clear on the "how tos" for some old & newer members :roll:
Dave, you're excellent with step 1, step 2, directions and illustrations! I admit I find posting photo's outside of my computer a challenge :oops: The more I/ we know the "how to of" The better chance of input. Maybe asking too much & too soon?.......But....but.....The forum, She Is G R O W I N G !!! Fabulous, &
Cheers to all :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

a) A sticky thread is one that is always at the top of the subforum. For example, in the Performance subforum the topic GN2 made titled "For your consideration" is stickied, and will always be on top of the list regardless of which thread was posted in last.

b) That's a bit more difficult. The easiest way is to use MS Paint or GIMP or another editor, but the how-to would be different for every program. If there's enough demand, I'll make a how-to resize images to banner-size if we end up going forward with this.

c) You'd simply reply to the stickied thread I'll put in the Gallery subforum, using the attach images option when making a reply. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Leave it as is please, it looks just fine and the smaller the data size the faster the page loads.
I suppose if you do stick a banner on and folks don't like it, they can just AdBlock it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

where is the "let's not get too involved and spoil a good thing" option
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

qed -- that's the "Keep it simple, and leave the current banner."

gn2 -- the current logo is 9.02KB. Each Fuelly signature is about 15KB. The banner could be anywhere between 25KB and 200KB, depending on what colors it's using. Your browser downloads it once, then caches it, so only the first load of the website per month would be ever so slightly delayed (under a quarter a second to load on average internet). This is more of a cosmetic preference discussion than a logistical discussion -- vote based on cosmetics, not based on load time preferences (because load times and bandwidth will hardly change).

For reference, the below image is the size of the banner image that would be used:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (121.48 KiB) Viewed 2446 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

maddiedog wrote:qed -- that's the "Keep it simple, and leave the current banner."

gn2 -- the current logo is 9.02KB. Each Fuelly signature is about 15KB. The banner could be anywhere between 25KB and 200KB, depending on what colors it's using. Your browser downloads it once, then caches it, so only the first load of the website per month would be ever so slightly delayed (under a quarter a second to load on average internet). This is more of a cosmetic preference discussion than a logistical discussion -- vote based on cosmetics, not based on load time preferences (because load times and bandwidth will hardly change).

For reference, the below image is the size of the banner image that would be used:
Untitled.png

not sure it is. its more if the let's not get drawn into things option that you have done really well with before but are slipping a tad now alternative
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

When I see that specific photo all I see is a monster Givi windscreen that overpowers a tiny but beautiful PCX and blots out the nice seascape ;) Be good on a givi forum though! If there is to be a PCX photo I think it needs to be stock setup, which precludes mine too!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Your browser downloads it once, then caches it, so only the first load of the website per month would be ever so slightly delayed
Nope, my browser deletes everything every time it closes.
The site looks just fine the way it is and I don't like change for change's sake.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Holy Smokes! Did ya'll see the poll ends soon? C'mon folks, the clock is ticking and stops Sunday (geez, that's tomorrow o_O ), so please give this poll a try, consider it Your voice....release the brakes and give her some throttle. Just click on one of the three choices and you're done....ezy-peazy ;) Cast your vote Today! :D
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
hondamatic
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by hondamatic »

I like the idea of the banner. I also look at the Honda Silverwing forum and they have a banner with Swing's that change from time to time. I have a slow connection and it really doesn't slow my computer down at all. I would contribute a picture every now and then but I would get banned for a picture with a Honda Met ranther than a PCX. I like this site and still deciding which ride to up grade to next spring.
Keep up the site Dave....it's growing I think
Ride fast and keep it between the fences!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

The vote sits at 9 for and 6 against. -- 60% for and 40% against. That's not enough of a majority for me to make the change, so I'm going to leave this idea alone for now.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I bet Obama would be happy with a 60/40 vote! I have a few web sites with banners and other pics that seem to crash my android tab's browser unless I wait for the page to fully load.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well, you gave it a fair try Dave. Thanks for making and taking the time ;)
Ben Lee
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 (model 13)
Color: Caucasian

Post by Ben Lee »

I do like the idea ...

@ an other forum we had that same idea, we did a "foto of the mounth" (with theme) compitition, the winner had his dog (because it was a dog forum) on the banner for the comming month.

My foto would be this one ...

Ben.
A Belgian beer please, I don't like water, that's the shit that rusts my PCX!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

I Still Like the idea too Ben (sigh). Nice photo by the way