To ride or not to ride?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Should we ride or drive for this trip

Poll ended at Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:44 am

Ride
50%
Drive
50%

Total votes: 4

Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

To ride or not to ride?

Post by Smaug »

My wife and I are taking a couple days off work to go up to Wisconsin and do some hiking. We'll head up tomorrow morning, hike all day, then get a hotel and see if we want to hike the next day as well.

There are some wonderful roads up there.

There are a few things that make me hesitate to take the scooter:
It's a 150; not ideal for long range two-up riding; figure 55 mph
The rear tire has maybe 1/8" of tread left on it, I don't have a tire plug kit and my car insurance company (State Farm) won't tow bikes. (so a tow would be expen$ive)
It's 81 miles to where we're hiking, one way (it'd be about 2 hours, avoiding expressways)

On the other hand:
We're only about 300 lbs. together, so we're not THAT heavy. When we ride locally together, the ride is softer than usual, but not bottoming out or anything. Probably could get by just adding a couple PSI to the rear tire?
It would be a great adventure, and I think a day or two of hiking is within the luggage capacity of the underseat trunk + backpack on the wife.
It would be a good shake-down trip for attending distant rallies. There's the Land of 10,000 Scoots rally in Minneapolis in August...
I could probably stop at an auto parts or motorcycle shop along the way and pick up a tire repair kit
It would be great close bonding time for my wife and I

Or, we could take a car, get there in greater comfort, without any drama so that hiking would be the only adventure.
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: To ride or not to ride?

Post by homie »

I don't like to ride Chicago traffic on holiday weekends. You know there are plenty out there over the limit. Do you have kids? Take the cage or get her on her own bike so one of you survives.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:I don't like to ride Chicago traffic on holiday weekends. You know there are plenty out there over the limit. Do you have kids? Take the cage or get her on her own bike so one of you survives.
I had forgotten it is a holiday weekend!

Yes, we have kids. Also a good point. Maybe we'll take the Prius...
-Jeremy
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Smaug wrote:Maybe we'll take the Prius...
Oh GOD!
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

homie wrote:
Smaug wrote:Maybe we'll take the Prius...
Oh GOD!
I know, that darned thing is so efficient it's hard to justify any scooter bigger than a 250! It gets 55 mpg around the suburbs and 46 or better on the highway. Especially since rain is forecast.
-Jeremy
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I see the pcx as an ideal around town bike, and I have taken it on longer runs during the daytime. However,...and this is a BIG however, my wife has her own pcx, so that we don't have to ride 2 up. Despite what is said about its ability to hold two people, the passenger seat on it is very uncomfortable, especially for any distance. My wife and my grown grandson both said the same thing after riding on the back of mine.
Keep in mind that I have done what I could to make my pcx as comfortable as possible, including changing out the rear shocks...big difference...and purchasing a custom seat from Thailand. I also have a tailbox so that they can lean against something while riding. Still, the PCX may work out well as a family vehicle in Asia, but in The United States it is just plain uncomfortable for a passenger, no matter what they may tell you otherwise.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I think a long run on a PCX is something everybody should do, and once you do, you'll never do it again. It's just too tedious. And definitely I would do the first run like that alone… it's a perfect ride between 35-45 mph , a around town cruiser.

Long distance requires good suspension, a Corbin saddle and >750 cc for me. I realize there are some long distance the scooter people out there, but I'm not one of them.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Didn't you mention somewhere that you have/had an FJR1300? Take that. . .or if you just have the PCX now then take the cage. You want to enjoy the trip right? Enjoying is good. . .pain not so good. ;)

Think about a practical plan to attend the rallies later down the line that is a workable solution. :geek:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Jge64 wrote:I think a long run on a PCX is something everybody should do, and once you do, you'll never do it again. It's just too tedious. And definitely I would do the first run like that alone… it's a perfect ride between 35-45 mph , a around town cruiser.

Long distance requires good suspension, a Corbin saddle and >750 cc for me. I realize there are some long distance the scooter people out there, but I'm not one of them.
x2
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

It's only 81 miles, use bike, if it was 82.....

We call the Prius the Toyota Pious over here.
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

you you wrote:It's only 81 miles, use bike, if it was 82.....

We call the Prius the Toyota Pious over here.
:lol:

We Prius owners are like Mormons. We're all about it, but you heathens just can't understand. :lol:

Seriously though, I didn't think I would like it. It's my wife's car. I've got a sporty Accordy, which is quite fun and functional. But she's boring; just wants efficient, quiet, inexpensive and practical. But I tell you what, I'm an engineer and I geek out over that car. It's got a gauge that shows me when it will kick the engine on. When no one's behind me, I challenge myself to stay electric as much as possible. I got 70 mpg one time, on a 20 mile trip across the suburbs.

It is technical perfection. A purpose-built transportation appliance. It's like going to a smart phone from a dumb phone. It has that cheap torsion beam rear suspension that the Corollas have, and I think double digit maximum horsepower. But it's fun to wring that thing out. I floor it, and we're barely accelerating, compared to the Accord and my wife is freaking out, jaw down, pointing at the efficiency meter pegged in the red zone. I start to make a turn and the whole thing leans over, but somehow holds tight to the road, with those rock-hard low rolling resistance tires. Parking it is an absolute delight, it's so tiny. (we have the Pious C) The stereo really thumps; much better than the Accord's, which is not too shabby. The BlueTooth integration with my wife's phone is seamless.

When I get in a traffic jam and it's stop and go, I usually rage. Sitting there in my Accord, pumping the clutch every time traffic moves a few feet. Raging because I'm burning gas and paying tolls for NOTHING. In the Prius? I don't give a damn. I can just sit there, the engine's off, A/C and tunes are on.... no more rage. I get the same economy driving it 80 mph (when I eventually get there) as I do in the Accord going 45.

I just drove the Accord 1200+ miles down to the Smokies and back, so I'm sick of being in it. Time to wring out the little Mandarin Orange. (we got an orange one, and my wife is Chinese)
</rant>
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

PCX150Rider wrote:Didn't you mention somewhere that you have/had an FJR1300? Take that. . .or if you just have the PCX now then take the cage.
Used to have an FJR. Traded it for a KLR, which I crashed and broke my leg in three places in 2009.

Wish I still had the FJR now. I think I'm going to get an ST1300 next year. I miss motorcycle touring.
-Jeremy
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

It's doable, just take your time. A couple weekends ago I went with a friend, he rode a grom, up to Napa, CA some 161 miles away. We took the back roads and did 55mph most of the way. Took us 4 hours but it was very pleasant. Once in napa we joined a group ride, all Groms of coarse, of 80 miles. The return trip was a bit tiring, but only because I hadn't slept too much. With a passenger it would be a more tiring ride, but you can take as many breaks as you like. The PCX will do fine, it's a Honda.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Used to have an FJR. Traded it for a KLR, which I crashed and broke my leg in three places in 2009.

Wish I still had the FJR now. I think I'm going to get an ST1300 next year. I miss motorcycle touring.
Sorry to read about your "get off" on the KLR. Sounds very painful. . .. That would be enough for some folks to give up riding altogether.

I've got an original '88 KLR 650. Bought it new. It's the Blue, White, Green color combo. Everything is original except normal maintenance items and the turn signals and gear shift lever. No dents in the tank. Seat still looks new. Original rear shock. Even the "break-in" decal is still on the speedometer and all other OEM decals are still on. 8)

These days I ride it like the "antique" it is. Nothing fancy. . .nice easy riding on it and I take my time on forest roads. Don't want to damage it (or myself) at this point. :roll:

If you really wanted to travel a fair distance to a rally I'd do it solo on the PCX. Up to you though. I'll tell you one thing. I don't ask anyone to ride pillion on my machines anymore unless they really want to because of the changing traffic conditions, texting, and all around risk. A motorcyclist just got killed in a multi-car accident in my state last night. He was almost my age. I've ridden that stretch of road many times. With the added wait of a passenger it increases your braking distance and effects your ability to quickly maneuver around danger. A local ride around town or the neighborhood is one thing but to get onto major highways where speeds will be in excess of 40 MPH with a passenger ain't what it used to be. IMHO. But that's just me. :geek:

http://fox61.com/2017/06/27/1-84-eastbo ... -accident/
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

Thanks for the in-depth reply post. Sounds like a cool old KLR. There's something special about an air-cooled thumper dirtbike/dual-sport. I think about a Honda 250 dual-sport sometimes, but I don't think I'll ever talk myself into tubed tires again. There just aren't enough dirt to gravel roads in my neck of the woods.

It's raining now, and we're about to leave. We'll take the Prius and take it easy today: drink tea, play chess, go to a wine tasting. Hike tomorrow, if it isn't too muddy.

Bigger bike for touring next year, maybe. Or maybe a used Miata.
-Jeremy
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

...but fear not, in the meantime, I'll do 1-up touring on the PCX. You all are absolutely right about 55 MPH touring beingnfun, if one is on back roads.

I went to Eat Claire, WI twice on a motorcycle: Once, I took only back roads. I stopped for a brewery tour on the way. (New Glarus) It took 13 hours. The other time, I took the super-slab, it it took more like 3 hours. The 13 hour trip was no more tiring, and a lot more enjoyable.
-Jeremy
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Yup. . .know what you mean. It's nice to take a more leisurely pace and enjoy the scenery . . .. :D

Every once in a while I take my GSF1200 S for a ride and the torque on that thing (even being stock) reminds me of it's potential. Getting up to speed quickly accessing an Interstate Highway is a breathtaking experience literally. When I switch from the PCX to the Suzuki I have to be careful of my throttle sensitivity. The Suzuki is very "Here and Now!" and pulls like an unruly horse at a starting gate in a race. It's all about the experience of "being able to go really fast" for me now than actually going really fast. ;)
Smaug
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Smaug »

I know what you mean about the Suzuki Bandit 1200. I test drove one after arriving on my tired old GS850G, and it was all I could do too keep the front wheel on the ground.

Well, it was a good call to drive. It rained almost the whole first day. Then today, after the 9 mile hike, I slept on the way home, while my wife drove. Got 60 mpg on the way home too. Not bad for a cage!
-Jeremy
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Boy that was quick! :P Home already. It's good to get away. Hope you both enjoyed yourselves.
BTW, I'm glad you chose the 4 wheeler. I came late to the survey party but Survey really didn't count anywho, did it? Dang rain has been a problem this spring into summer, and the winds have been just "stupid!" Better to be safe than......well, you know.

Happy Fourth Riding! Pray the weather is in our favor 8) Fingers crossed
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

Once I got the extra seat pad, I was able to spend the day out riding. The Three Twisted Sisters route in Texas. Put nearly 500 miles on the scoot in a day, including getting there and getting home. Back-roads mostly, a few miles on the interstate. Started about 6am and got home about 8pm. Long rides are the most fun, just not in the pouring rain!! LOL!!!