2013 PCX 150 USA Real World Speed Information/reviews

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

bpmch02

Re: 2013 PCX 150 USA Real World Speed Information/reviews

Post by bpmch02 »

So I found a 30 degree hill and honestly if I can hit 55 by myself on that without issue, that's a pretty good deal. And 45 with my wife up that is pretty good. I mean I live in michigan not the applician mountains or anything lol
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

cessna151 wrote:At 6'2" 240lbs mine tops out at 60mph on flat roads all day long with no wind.
Hills and head wind easily reduces that by 10mph or more.

Same here. I weigh 245.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

SilentSamurai wrote: I weight 165. I am 6'2.
Top speed on the freeway, ducked down, downward slope, full throttle (GPS confirmed) I can't go faster than 66 mph. Almost as if it's governed but doesn't pop or bounce rev's once at 66.
It IS governed! The stock USA model is speed limited by the onboard ECU at around 67MPH. Technically it's limited to 9,600RPM which equates to ~67 on a stock PCX.
(I know you said 66MPH, but many others have reported 67)

The reason it doesn't pop or bounce is because the ECU soft-governs it by reducing the fuel injector flow on a One Hertz wave.
So if your maxed out at 67MPH you might feel a slow speed pulsing every second or so. Sendler2112 did a more detailed study of this because he is an engineer (I think).
Last edited by Slickvic on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

6'0, 155 lb. Still in "break-in" period. Initially my top speed was about 60. I put Givi short/medium windscreen on about a week ago. If I tuck all the way down, I can hit 65 on flat road now. Not too comfortable for any long period of time. Only hills here in south Louisiana are bridges and levees. Last time I went over the Rigolets bridge with wind, I was still able to hold 55 - that was with the original windscreen. No experience with 2-up. Hope this helps.
RedRamen

Post by RedRamen »

SilentSamurai wrote:
bpmch02 wrote:I also have to look up a picture of a 30 degree hill...lol
ha nice. I can take some footage this weekend if you'd like. Plan on riding all weekend. Show you how it does hills and what not.
Any reports on those hill attacks? How'd she do?
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

We have two PCX 150s, his and hers. They seem to pull the same, but I do outweigh my wife - she gets better MPG than I do, but they seem to have the same top speed: 65 to 67 mph.

We get a lot of questions about the bikes when we're out and about... the most frequent: how fast and how much? This is my take on the top speed question...

I would not run ANY vehicle at its max top speed for a lengthy time. If you need to do 65 to 70 mph regularly (like in a highway commute), you should be looking at a scooter that can top out at 85 to 90 (even though you won't likely run at that speed) so you have some reserve. It is my opinion that you will shorten the life of any engine by running it at max speed all the time, AND you have no reserve. There are times that you need a short burst of speed to make a maneuver... if you are running at max speed, you have lost that safety advantage. Think: car switching lanes or a dog running at you from the side of the road.

The PCX is in its element as an urban bike or having fun in the twisties (to a point). Hills will slow it down. Extra passenger weight will slow it down.

We have owned a lot of bikes over the years (Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs and more); most were very capable road bikes. We ate up a lot of miles on long trips. Some of those are a beast in a short run to the store, and especially in the parking lot. The key is finding the right "tool for the job."

The PCX does a LOT of things exceptionally well. High speed highway running... while loaded up with rider/passenger weight... up steep hills - those would NOT be what this bike is all about.

It would be great if a bike this size, this weight, at this price point, and that gets 100 mpg, could go 70 mph all day and haul a load... but, the laws of physics and mechanics still apply.

For us, the best thing about these scoots is the ease - they are light enough to easily move around in the driveway or a parking lot. They are peppy enough to stay up with (or even ahead of) city traffic. Great fuel mileage. Stylish looking (perspective). Quiet. Reasonably comfortable.

That light weight that is so great at slow speeds becomes a liability at higher speeds. The PCX is comfortable up to about 55 mph, then starts showing its light weight after that. Yes, the bike can do 65 (with my 190 pounds on the seat), but it isn't comfortable nor solid-feeling. That engine that is engineered to get such great gas mileage around town is working its heart out at 65 mph.

You can't have it all.

We analyzed the type of riding we were doing, and decided that the PCX hits about 95% of what we like to do these days. We really enjoy these little bikes. If we were looking to do long distance riding at highway speeds, I'd be trading these off for something made for that.

In the US, we have big spaces, big cars, big trucks, and plenty of big bikes. 80 mph speed limits in some states. A small bike like the PCX won't keep up with that speed... and will get blown around by passing trucks and crosswinds. Give me a Harley Ultra dresser for that kind of travel. 45 mph on secondary roads, occasionally stop and go traffic, stops for errands - the PCX is ideal! The right tool for the job.

That is my "real world" evaluation/review... based on 46 years of riding, 25 motorcycles, and a couple hundred thousand miles on two wheels.

Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:We have two PCX 150s, his and hers. They seem to pull the same, but I do outweigh my wife - she gets better MPG than I do, but they seem to have the same top speed: 65 to 67 mph.

We get a lot of questions about the bikes when we're out and about... the most frequent: how fast and how much? This is my take on the top speed question...

I would not run ANY vehicle at its max top speed for a lengthy time. If you need to do 65 to 70 mph regularly (like in a highway commute), you should be looking at a scooter that can top out at 85 to 90 (even though you won't likely run at that speed) so you have some reserve. It is my opinion that you will shorten the life of any engine by running it at max speed all the time, AND you have no reserve. There are times that you need a short burst of speed to make a maneuver... if you are running at max speed, you have lost that safety advantage. Think: car switching lanes or a dog running at you from the side of the road.

The PCX is in its element as an urban bike or having fun in the twisties (to a point). Hills will slow it down. Extra passenger weight will slow it down.

We have owned a lot of bikes over the years (Harleys, Goldwings, BMWs and more); most were very capable road bikes. We ate up a lot of miles on long trips. Some of those are a beast in a short run to the store, and especially in the parking lot. The key is finding the right "tool for the job."

The PCX does a LOT of things exceptionally well. High speed highway running... while loaded up with rider/passenger weight... up steep hills - those would NOT be what this bike is all about.

It would be great if a bike this size, this weight, at this price point, and that gets 100 mpg, could go 70 mph all day and haul a load... but, the laws of physics and mechanics still apply.

For us, the best thing about these scoots is the ease - they are light enough to easily move around in the driveway or a parking lot. They are peppy enough to stay up with (or even ahead of) city traffic. Great fuel mileage. Stylish looking (perspective). Quiet. Reasonably comfortable.

That light weight that is so great at slow speeds becomes a liability at higher speeds. The PCX is comfortable up to about 55 mph, then starts showing its light weight after that. Yes, the bike can do 65 (with my 190 pounds on the seat), but it isn't comfortable nor solid-feeling. That engine that is engineered to get such great gas mileage around town is working its heart out at 65 mph.

You can't have it all.

We analyzed the type of riding we were doing, and decided that the PCX hits about 95% of what we like to do these days. We really enjoy these little bikes. If we were looking to do long distance riding at highway speeds, I'd be trading these off for something made for that.

In the US, we have big spaces, big cars, big trucks, and plenty of big bikes. 80 mph speed limits in some states. A small bike like the PCX won't keep up with that speed... and will get blown around by passing trucks and crosswinds. Give me a Harley Ultra dresser for that kind of travel. 45 mph on secondary roads, occasionally stop and go traffic, stops for errands - the PCX is ideal! The right tool for the job.

That is my "real world" evaluation/review... based on 46 years of riding, 25 motorcycles, and a couple hundred thousand miles on two wheels.

Jim
You do sound an expert.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

CaptnJim wrote:We have two PCX 150s, his and hers. They seem to pull the same, but I do outweigh my wife - she gets better MPG than I do, but they seem to have the same top speed: 65 to 67 mph.

You can't have it all.

Jim
Good point well said.
bpmch02

Post by bpmch02 »

Thanks for the information...I am leaning towards the Forza based on everything said here provided I can get the monthly payment in the right place, otherwise, I will get a PCX and enjoy what it can do until I can upgrade.

Still would like to see some of those hill videos though...
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

you you wrote: You do sound an expert.
I'm not trying to come off as an expert - just a guy who has been riding motorcycles for a lot of years. The PCX is a great scoot, but it is 150cc... one shouldn't expect it to perform like something with 4 times the engine size. It is ideal for our use, but we KNEW it wasn't going to be used for eating up miles on the Interstate.

If someone is disappointed in what the PCX can do, they probably have unrealistic expectations. It surprised me with HOW GOOD it is at what it does. :D

Best wishes,
Jim
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I am coming into this conversation late but I do agree that the pcx is not a highway bike. Yes, it can go on the highway, but that doesn't make it a highway bike. If you ride a bicycle onto a highway, that doesn't make it highway capable. Before I traded my Burgman in, which definitely was a highway bike, I worried about my wife when she followed me onto the highway. It is way too light for highways, and just right for back roads and inner city riding. Because most of our time was spent in those situations, and not on the highway, I opted to trade down to a fun bike rather than a serious road cruiser. The advantages of the little pcx are enormous, but highway cruising is not one of its advantages. You need to ask yourself what you expect to do on your bike before you purchase it, not after.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I have to agree with everyone on here that I would look at the Forza for what you are wanting a scooter for. I will be honest that I am 5'6" 300 lbs and I have a hard time getting my speed up past 55 mph. With that nothing is left like CaptnJim said for that emergency boost to get out of the way. That is without a head wind and with a head wind, I was lucky to get my speed up to 50 mph. By yourself I think you will be fine but add another 145 lb and forget it.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

CaptnJim wrote:
I'm not trying to come off as an expert - just a guy who has been riding motorcycles for a lot of years. The PCX is a great scoot, but it is 150cc... one shouldn't expect it to perform like something with 4 times the engine size. It is ideal for our use, but we KNEW it wasn't going to be used for eating up miles on the Interstate.

If someone is disappointed in what the PCX can do, they probably have unrealistic expectations. It surprised me with HOW GOOD it is at what it does. :D

Best wishes,
Jim
I wasn't being sarcastic
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

you you wrote:I wasn't being sarcastic
I believe you this time, but it is not like you have never been. ;) :lol: I do love your sense of humour though ... most of the time. ;)
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
chucktuna
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
I'm up to 12 or 13 now...
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by chucktuna »

Jim

How refreshing to have an honest opinion based on rational real world observation.
Very well said sir.
Too many scoots..... 12 or so I think .
bpmch02

Post by bpmch02 »

Honestly, I just don't know....You all have been really great with your opinions and your real world examples. I keep thinking that for what I am going to be doing that the PCX would be great (by myself, without highway use as previously described), but with my wife it would be a stretch. I am leaning towards the Forza, but with the PCX still able to perform at about 50-55 with my wife and I, it is still a possibility....I hate decisions like this...lol
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Get a Forza, its a superior machine.
Bigger comfier faster more luggage space.
Just more of everything.
Two up on a PCX?
Maybe ok if you each weigh less than 120lbs
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Get a Forza, its a superior machine.
Bigger comfier faster more luggage space.
Just more of everything.
Two up on a PCX?
Maybe ok if you each weigh less than 120lbs

As much as I love my little pcx, two up is best for around the doors only
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

you you wrote:
CaptnJim wrote:

Best wishes,
Jim
I wasn't being sarcastic
I didn't take it that you were being sarcastic. It's all good. I finished that post with "Best wishes"... if I thought you were being sarcastic, I probably would have said, "Bite me." :lol:

Getting on a forum all about the PCX, one would expect PCX enthusiasts here. There are limits to what a small bike can do. Use the scoot under those limits and it impresses. I am just amazed every time I fill up the fuel tank.

You have plenty of real world experience, as well. Mine is mostly on much bigger bikes... I think the PCX is a marvel, but there is a limit to what 13.5 horse power will do.

A college professor once told me: "Set your expectations low - you won't be disappointed." 8) I never expected to like the PCX SO much.

Best wishes,
Jim
Kermit
Scootering Amphibian
Scootering Amphibian

Post by Kermit »

CaptnJim wrote: That light weight that is so great at slow speeds becomes a liability at higher speeds. The PCX is comfortable up to about 55 mph, then starts showing its light weight after that. Yes, the bike can do 65 (with my 190 pounds on the seat), but it isn't comfortable nor solid-feeling. That engine that is engineered to get such great gas mileage around town is working its heart out at 65 mph.
I could not agree more. I weigh 125 lbs (185 with the CE Armored jacket, or at least it feels that way), and the PCX with me on it simply does not feel stable, trustworthy, or safe at its top-end speed. It's my first bike, so maybe some of it can be blamed on inexperience, but I would not ride my PCX on an interstate...not a chance in #@%%. There's just not enough weight to it to make it substantial enough.

I also agree that it's super-fun at what it's designed to do, which is not riding on an interstate. (Not that that's what you have planned...just using that as an example.)