Another PCX 150 proud owner

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

justepi

Another PCX 150 proud owner

Post by justepi »

Hello from Greece!

After a lot of research i bought a new pcx 150 silver 2013 model (400€ discount because of new model) yesterday,so far so good but i would like to ask you guys about the break in period. I read a method where you shouldn't go the easy way but instead change oil after 20 miles and run it hard because it's better for the piston ring seal and that results are better compared to what the manual suggests.

Does this method applies to scooters? What you guys suggest/did during the break in?

any feedback would be awesome
thanks!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Re: Another PCX 150 proud owner

Post by kramnala58 »

Welcome, great to have you join us. I think you are going to find that the general consensus on this forum is that it is best to follow Honda's guidelines.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

I concur! ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

justepi wrote:Hello from Greece!

After a lot of research i bought a new pcx 150 silver 2013 model (400€ discount because of new model) yesterday,so far so good but i would like to ask you guys about the break in period. I read a method where you shouldn't go the easy way but instead change oil after 20 miles and run it hard because it's better for the piston ring seal and that results are better compared to what the manual suggests.

Does this method applies to scooters? What you guys suggest/did during the break in?

any feedback would be awesome
thanks!

I just rode mine. It's so slow you can't really do anything else
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It's been stated that after the first 600 miles, and at the 1st service of a PCX, little bits of metal may be in the oil/filter as the new engine wears in - so probably best to not do too many full on starts, take it a bit easy and ride normally - just don't push it to the limits too early and too often.
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

For safe break-in:
Just keep the front wheel on the ground for the first 600 miles....
After that, ride your PCX like you stole it! Put a knee down in every curve. Wheelie whenever it's safe. Two wheel drifting is fun when you get the hang of it. Blasting up empty mountain passes with beautiful scenery soothing your eyes is great! But the best is; Embarrassing a pack of unsuspecting crotch-rocket gixxers on your sleeper PCX!
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Tribpreper wrote:Embarrassing a pack of unsuspecting crotch-rocket gixxers on your sleeper PCX!
ha, I loved that. I did that to one guy and he ended up surfing on his seat to show off...
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

OMG!
My face hurts!!
Now THAT'S FUNNY!
justepi

Post by justepi »

thanks for the feedback guys! im going with the easy break in so far, the scooter is awesome :)
MiddleRiverPCX
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

A long time ago, I was picking up parts at a motorcycle shop, and the topic of breaking in came up. The guy behind the counter was the son of the owner, and he said he didn't break things in gently. He said something like, "I always just go out and run it hard after I put a new piston in." I mentioned I don't change pistons "ALWAYS", and he was quiet after that.
Start gently, gradually build up both speed and throttle, as you go through the break in.
With synthetic oil, and water cooling these machines will last a LONG time.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My bike now has 1972 miles on it and it still isn't fully broken in yet, so don't expect it to take off like a crotch-rocket just yet. That doesn't mean that you can't push it on occasion . Just don't expect it to answer your command for more speed as quickly as others you are riding with who may have one that is fully broken in. The hills are a prime example. My wife will leave me in her dust climbing up a hill right now, but it is getting better as the bike gets more broken in. Soon I will be able to keep up when we start up a hill.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

I've noticed with my PCX that it's gaining speed and better gas mileage as I drive it more. It has about 720 miles on it and it's first service scheduled in a couple days. I have rolled the throttle to the max maybe 8 times. Around 30-35 mph The engine sounds kinda like a Harley and I can feel the vibrations the most from the engine at that speed. And I've been keeping to 35mph to 45mph roads. Next week I'm taking it on it's first road trip from Springfield to Branson MO, maybe a 40 mile drive and going to keep to State Highways where the speeds 55mph and under!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That should work out well for your scooter. It needs a run like that ever so often. You may notice during the ride that it takes its time getting up to and maintaining 55 mph, but that's only because it is still breaking in. When my scooter hit the 1,000 mile area on the odometer it seemed like it was just starting to wake up. It climbed hills well but still lost a bit of speed during the climb, and I think it could have done even better if we didn't have to use gas with 10% ethanol in it. Small engines don't like that stuff.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Congratulation justepi on the new PCX and welcome aboard from Greece!
Break the purdy one in the way you want, little of this'n'that riding. Just don't hammer it. Vary the speeds, don't hit the limit (yet). It'll be worth the patience you've put forward later on.
Ah, but Little Voices in yer head say.....Oh, but it's so friggin' Fun to wind that throttle open!
I hear ya! But....
Refrain. Try to refrain? Just Refrain ;) but do Enjoy!! All up to You :D Weeeeeeee
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

socoguy78 wrote:Around 30-35 mph The engine sounds kinda like a Harley and I can feel the vibrations the most from the engine at that speed.
The vibration you describe likely to be disharmonic resonance. Every engine except an inline six will have it. I'd like to hear if other riders have a vibration at the same RPM to confirm. Crud....wish I could!
Mel46 wrote:and I think it could have done even better if we didn't have to use gas with 10% ethanol in it. Small engines don't like that stuff.
No they don't Mel, you are 100% correct! We now have two extra 5-gallon gas containers just for the PCX which will be filled as needed with NON-ethanol fuel, available locally from the co-op for only 10% more than (ir-)regular. Yes, we are fortunate!
socoguy78
Regular User
Regular User

Post by socoguy78 »

Tribpreper wrote:
socoguy78 wrote:Around 30-35 mph The engine sounds kinda like a Harley and I can feel the vibrations the most from the engine at that speed.
The vibration you describe likely to be disharmonic resonance. Every engine except an inline six will have it. I'd like to hear if other riders have a vibration at the same RPM to confirm. Crud....wish I could!
I've looked up disharmonic resonance but really can't find anything on it... What does it mean for an engine?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The PCX isdesigned to tolerate 10% ethanol so there will be no adverse effect whatsoever from using it.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Redwing

Post by Redwing »

I recently purchased a new 150 PCX, 2015. I'm totally addicted, had it just two weeks. I preferred a white one, but the metallic candy red looks great. I'll try to post a pic, I just joined the forum,
Happy Trails.
Attachments
DSC_0496-picsay.JPG
DSC_0496-picsay.JPG (439.49 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Great shot, Redwing. Welcome to the group, and congratulations on the new PCX.

[Just love Nova Scotia--one of my favorite places. Still fondly recall a canoe-camping trip there from many years ago.]
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Tribpreper
Banned User
Banned User

Post by Tribpreper »

socoguy78 wrote:I've looked up disharmonic resonance but really can't find anything on it... What does it mean for an engine?
There are many studies published on engine harmonic dampening. Here is just a primer from a quick search, but there are many more in physics journals.
Again, this is not a peer reviewed article - just a primer. Search the term above and you can learn more.
http://damperdudenz.tripod.com/id3.html