What is a good price for 2015 Honda PCX 150?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gqseen
Year: 2015
Color: White

What is a good price for 2015 Honda PCX 150?

Post by gqseen »

Hello all,

I am new to this forum as well as new to scooter. I am shopping for 2015 PCX 150 and got a quote from a dealer that the OTD price is $4100, should I jump on this deal? If not a good deal, in what price range is consider a good deal? I am in Los Angeles, CA.
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Re: What is a good price for 2015 Honda PCX 150?

Post by jblye »

I got my new 2015 PCX150 for $3,595 out the door (everything except the $25 license tag). I also bought a 5 year extended warranty,
which brought the total OTD price to $ 3,870. My dealer was Honda of Columbia, SC. Note: The dealers get a 5 % kickback from
Honda even if they sell the PCX for dealer cost. A similar deal would probably be available from Honda of Florence, SC.

Johnny
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I paid $4,150 OTD. Living where you and I live, I'd say that's the best we can do. I would buy it now for $4,100 if I were you. Tomorrow it maybe gone and another may Not take it's place for awhile. "Try" Offering $4,000? Good luck! You will ♡ this 2015!!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

You could ask them if they would throw in an extended warranty at no extra charge.

Worth a try.

Johnny
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Post by kcpcx »

I recently bought a new 2013, as did my dad on the same day.

I was offered a 2015 for $3900 out the door. White.

I bought my '13 for $2900 out the door. I was picky on color and did not want black, which was stupid on my part. If I would have been willing to accept black, I could have bought mine for $2600, delivered. There were a lot of leftover '13s in black around here, and very few red.

My dad got his '13 for $2600 out the door in another part of the USA.

None of the above numbers include state sales tax. But all dealers fees are included, as well as a full tank of gas. lol.

I didn't negotiate on the '15. I was offered $3900 right off the bat. Probably could have done a hundred or two better than that if I had pursued that option.

If I recall, I was offered $400 for a 5 year extended warranty. I passed, of course. But just FYI.
'88 BMW R100RT
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

kcpcx, it sounds like your dad got a sensational deal !!!

The extended warranty price sheet that the dealer showed me
had the regular price for the 5 year warranty ( 1 year regular
warranty plus 4 additional years) at $ 350. He discounted it
to $ 275. Sounded like a good deal to me. If you had just one
significant repair (e.g., transmission problem), the uninsured
cost for that repair would probably be more than the extended warranty
cost.

Also: The OTD price that I quoted included sales tax.

Johnny
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Extended warranties are real simple to understand.

Ficitional example scenario:

$500 retail cost to customer
$350 wholesale cost to dealer
dealer profit per policy = $150

So here is the deal from the provider's perspective. The dealer already made their cut...

The underwriter of the warranty is selling the policies to the dealer for $350 in my example. That means that they've hired a staff of very intelligent actuaries to make sure they make a profit selling the warranty contracts for $350. Let's say for the sake of discussion, they make $150 profit on that $350 policy. So, their overhead is $200. This includes the payouts for warranty claims, which let's say are $150 of the $200. The other $50 is administrative cost.

Bottom line: The warranty company is paying out $150 in claim expenses for every policy that an individual buys for $500. The selling dealer is making $150. The other $200 is claims and admin. The average customer is paying $500 for some peace of mind and $150 worth of repairs.

These numbers are theoretical, but are pretty close to real world. The underwriter of the policy has years and years of data, and a lot of people with advanced degrees in statistics and finance who predict with pretty good accuracy what they are going to pay out, on average, per policy. This isn't their first rodeo. If they sell 1000 service contracts on a certain vehicle, they have a real good idea what they will be paying out in claims on average, and what they need to price the policy at to make a profit.

Because keep in mind, the extended service contract company is not there to be nice guys and fix your broken bike. They are there to take your cash. :D

Once in a while, sure, you'll beat the house. You'll get $3000 worth of service out of a $500 service policy. But you're the outlier. For every person like this, there are 20 people who paid $500 in and never used a penny of it. Or very little.

If the companies who sell extended service contracts were paying out more money per policy than they took in, they'd go into another line of business.
'88 BMW R100RT
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

These threads can be useful, but also lack info.

For example, I live in CA, and a 2015 PCX for me would be approx $4,000 best I can tell using my former motorcycle salesman math with taxes and fees.

There are lots of factors other than just price. Obviously incentives, which best I can tell, there are currently none on the 2015's (at least not published).

Seaonality- If a dealer is force to buy at least a couple like now (September) and you live in a cold climate that has a riding season. The dealer may not feel like sitting on them for another 8 or 9 months. If they don't typically have a lot of scooter demand. etc...

If you are getting an awesome deal, please name the dealership, salesperson, how many they had at the dealership, city and state you live in, whether taxes are paid time of sale or not.

I really think living in San Diego (a town with nice weather and lots of colleges & traffic) that scooters (even though relatively poor selling) prob sell better here than in some rural areas of the northeast in the winter-time! So, all that factors in. Even using my best negotiating skills, I'm not going to be able to pick one up out here for any less than $4k OTD in CA.

Ok, resume =)

P.S. Even though I have exp as a motorcycle saleman at a dealership, and that the rule of thumb is 15% off retail is dealer cost...there have been times that I have been astounded by the discounts. There may be unpublished incentives you as a buyer may not be aware f. But typically, there are few incentives on brand new models in their first model year.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
jblye
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jblye »

I understand the comments about the value of extended insurance coverage;
however, it give me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that -- after the initial 1 year
insurance coverage expires-- my $ 275 extra insurance investment means that I
won't have to pay out any large sums for money for the next 4 years if the
motor or transmission go belly up. Such problems can occur with any
scooter.....including Hondas. In any event, $ 275 is not a huge pile of money
these days.....so I said " Why not ?". I'm glad I bought the extra coverage.

Johnny
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Also, remember it matters when you bought it. My dealer sold me the red 2013 for $2950 two months ago but he just told me they dropped the last black 2013 $200 more dollars. He is $3950 OTD for the 2015s here.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

What does OTD mean to our PCX fan club and members?
I take it to be All Included. The Final Price. "OTD" cost to me.
Nothing more or less. PERIOD.
Example:

Dealer Says MSRP: $3,449 .... Then add in:

Destination charge: $310.00
Title, Reg., Plate: $80.00
Extended Warranty (if purchased): $300.00
Sub Total: $4,139.00

Add in Local sales tax (mine 8.625%): $356.99

Grand Total aka OTD Price: $4,495.99

Note: other charges may be included in your final cost according to where You live.

Ya'll calculate OTD differently? :roll:
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Anybody seen gqseen? :P Could it be that you're riding around on a brandy New PCX...as I type?
If that is so.....Cheers to You!! ;)
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

Wow - Local sales tax $356.99 - OMG o_O (mine was 4.65% and about $140).

I didn't pay destination on the new 2013 but they were charging it on the 2015s. That was part of the $850 difference. They also took off $300 for the Honda Bucks promotion so that was $610 of the $850 difference right there. In effect I paid about $250 less on price alone w/o promotions. I wonder if they got a manufacture rebate on the 2013 Dest charges??? I am sure they didn't lose money. :P
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

jblye wrote:I understand the comments about the value of extended insurance coverage;
however, it give me a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing that -- after the initial 1 year
insurance coverage expires-- my $ 275 extra insurance investment means that I
won't have to pay out any large sums for money for the next 4 years if the
motor or transmission go belly up. Such problems can occur with any
scooter.....including Hondas. In any event, $ 275 is not a huge pile of money
these days.....so I said " Why not ?". I'm glad I bought the extra coverage.

Johnny

That's the key. The insurance company averages its risk over hundreds of contracts whereas the buyer has only one purchase. Although I usually pay cash and usually don't buy extended warranties, I recall in the past how much it hurt to be paying on a bike and, once the short standard warranty ran out, also be shelling out for repairs at the same time.

Good advice with these third-party contracts is to be meticulous in keeping maintenance records. Some companies will look for any reson to deny coverage. Read the fine print for other requirements and exclusions.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

WhiteNoise wrote:What does OTD mean to our PCX fan club and members?
State and local taxes vary too much from place to place. Hence, in my opinion, including sales tax in an OTD number makes the OTD number far less useful for people in locations other than their own.

The best baseline for what a competitive price would be on something is price of the item, out the door, excluding taxes. Everyone should have a pretty good idea of their local tax situation, and be able to mentally adjust accordingly.

In other words, what did the actual item itself cost first, which is the most useful information to the greatest number of people no matter where they are.

If people always quote OTD as including tax, the waters get too muddied. If 5 people post their PCX price, including tax, I have no idea what taxes are where those 5 people live compared to my locale. So it makes it more difficult to compare a good deal or a discount from list price.

Here in Missouri, we have not only sales tax, but property taxes. Many states have just sales tax and no personal property tax. Some have no state tax at all. Among those states that do have tax, the rates vary widely. Too murky to compare accurately unless you have an intimate knowledge of the tax situation in hundreds of locations. Far simpler just price for bike excluding tax. In some countries, you have VAT to contend with, as well. It's probably coming to the USA, but isn't here yet.

Just what makes sense to me. Now, of course, if everyone on the forum lived in Salt Lake City, UT, USA, then sure, OTD numbers including tax would be useful.

As far as extended service contracts, statistically you're always going to come out ahead by not buying one, over time. However, for some people peace of mind is a huge thing. This is probably the one valid reason to buy a service contract. If you're going to lie awake at night worrying about an expensive repair, and shelling out $ makes you sleep easier, by all means. Makes sense in that case. But financially, no. If you paid 10% more for everything you bought in life and had service agreements, versus paying 10% less and not having a service agreement, in the end on average the guy who saved his 10% and put it in the bank for a rainy day would come out ahead. It's the opposite of the Hunger Games. The odds are never in your favor.

We haven't even gotten into the other thing. You better dot every single "i" and cross every single "t" if you want that contract honored. Many contracts also have the option, in the fine print, to drop you if you file too many claims. A lot of people never read that deep into the fine print.

I worked at a car dealership for a fair while. The management LOVED people who bought extended warranties. Because the store made huge money on them. The markup % was tremendous. They pushed the contracts pretty hard. Notice the demeanor of your finance manager next time you decline a coverage plan. Not happy. Because they get big bonuses for selling them...and they aren't sad because they won't have the opportunity to pay out large claims on your behalf. lol.
'88 BMW R100RT
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I read through the extended warranty they offered and the exclusions were pretty intense. It is much less likely for the stuff they do cover to fail like a broken crankshaft. Those kinds of extended warrantees should be somewhat inexpensive. Things that surprised me were parts like some of the CVT other than the belt that are considered maintenance items. As was mentioned they have an abuse clause that can get them out of just about everything that is covered.
gqseen
Color: White

Post by gqseen »

I am still here... Nope, I have not gotten the bike yet. Still doing research and reading up you guys comments...Great info! Just got my permit last Friday, will be taking the California Motorcycle Safety course this coming weekend. Never on a motorcycle nor scooter before, will see how well I can pick up from the course.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Excellent! Still here & you're taking the MSF course :P I took it years back, 'twas good fun! :P

So, are ya ready? Proper course attire picked? Try to start hydrating the day before, and definitely get good rest. Show up on time, each day. Given a choice, pick the bike that you want to use, whether it's a scooter or a shifty. Listen Very Carefully to your instructor, ask questions if you don't understand something, Relax & keep hydrating when you're given the chance and oh yeah, eat :D
Most of all, Enjoy yourself and have Fun!
Before you know it, you'll have your cycle endorsement and you'll be off buying a 2015(?) PCX!
A win/win :P Good Luck gqseen!!
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by kcpcx »

Smart move taking the MSF course. Very nice.
'88 BMW R100RT
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

The MSF course is a great idea and may also qualify you for an insurance discount.

Keep in mind, though, as one wag put it, completion of the MSF course only means that you can operate a motorcycle in a parking lot. Out on the road is much different. Take it slow, and ride with an experienced buddy if you can until you get some more seat time.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?