First service.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kanerz14
Year: 2014/2015
Color: Red

First service.

Post by kanerz14 »

Hi forum,

I'm wondering about the first service, as I understand the valve clearance is checked and would usually take a wee while as the body panels need removed. I e-mailed the dealer and asked how long it should take; they said it would take around an hour! Can I assume then that they wouldn't have checked valve clearances?

It's the main dealer in my area where I bought the PCX from.

Thanks in advance.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: First service.

Post by homie »

yes... as well they shouldn't have
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

homie wrote:yes... as well they shouldn't have
Thanks, do you mean that although it's in the service schedule, they shouldn't really need to? or am I wrong, and it's not part of the first service?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Others may disagree but I'm of the opinion after a chat with a US service tech at Honda (not to be named) that you are not needing valves checked at 600 miles. The maintenance schedule is written leaning in Honda's favor in the event of a catastrophic engine failure under warranty. Perhaps critical to holding Honda's feet to the fire in the UK and other counties but in the USA consumers are protected from such BS. I plan to find out more about "notifying Honda of service" done by the owner because this sounds like BS too as far as what Americans with put with and what's legal given our consumer protection laws.

You should add your location to your profile so members replying with information that is relevant to your country.
I am over 1300 miles and plan no tear down for valves until snowed it. She is purring like a kitten, no knocks, pings of excessive mpg loss. Get to know your engine... she will talk to you if you listen. Good luck out there, I will let others scare you into regimented service maintenance fees and warranty issues.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

homie wrote:Others may disagree but I'm of the opinion after a chat with a US service tech at Honda (not to be named) that you are not needing valves checked at 600 miles. The maintenance schedule is written leaning in Honda's favor in the event of a catastrophic engine failure under warranty. Perhaps critical to holding Honda's feet to the fire in the UK and other counties but in the USA consumers are protected from such BS. I plan to find out more about "notifying Honda of service" done by the owner because this sounds like BS too as far as what Americans with put with and what's legal given our consumer protection laws.

You should add your location to your profile so members replying with information that is relevant to your country.
I am over 1300 miles and plan no tear down for valves until snowed it. She is purring like a kitten, no knocks, pings of excessive mpg loss. Get to know your engine... she will talk to you if you listen. Good luck out there, I will let others scare you into regimented service maintenance fees and warranty issues.
Thanks. Think I remember a similar thread about this, but couldn't find when searching. The service cost should be lower if their not pulling off body parts. Rip of Britain is strong in these parts, but looks like my dealer is using their heads.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

What model year PCX? I have a 2011, and the manual states check valves at 600 miles.

I did it myself, and sure enough both valves were off. The exhaust valve by a significant number. Checked again at 5000 miles, just the exhaust, checked again at 8,000 nothing. and then again at 10k, nothing.

So even though the manual states check valves every 2500 miles. That is crazy talk. Every 15k or more for me from now on!

I've removed the body panels at least 5 times now. Each time I get quicker at it, still takes me an hour just to REMOVE them. and then another 40 minutes to put it all back together.
kanerz14

Post by kanerz14 »

OriginalRocket wrote:What model year PCX? I have a 2011, and the manual states check valves at 600 miles.

I did it myself, and sure enough both valves were off. The exhaust valve by a significant number. Checked again at 5000 miles, just the exhaust, checked again at 8,000 nothing. and then again at 10k, nothing.

So even though the manual states check valves every 2500 miles. That is crazy talk. Every 15k or more for me from now on!

I've removed the body panels at least 5 times now. Each time I get quicker at it, still takes me an hour just to REMOVE them. and then another 40 minutes to put it all back together.
Its a 2014/2015 my service manual states 600 for valve clearences also
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It seems the 1st service is when they should be done, as a few people who checked themselves found them to be out. As a new bike is bedding in and wear and tear, perhaps checking they are right to begin with is a good thing. However, others have done their own service and never checked the valves and had no problems over many years.
Can anyone confirm - the shop manual for the 2012 model states it's easy to get to the valves for checking them, just a few panels to remove at the side! (I have the 2014 UK 125 led version).
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

On my 2013 PCX 125 (UK bike) I had the valves checked on the first 600 mile service by a French Honda dealer - I specifically asked for this, as the bike was to be used for a trip to Barcelona (and back) - about 1,000 miles over the Pyranees in a week . . . the clearances were out - the exhaust by quite a bit.

So, when I reach 600 on my 2014/2015 PCX, I'll be getting those checked as well.

:)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

How much was the 1st service?
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Here in France, on my 2013 PCX - I just paid for the oil. :)
William T
Year: Model 2013
Color: Red 150

Post by William T »

I did my own valve check on my 2013 model PCX at 600 miles. The exhaust valve was out of spec and this one needed adjustment. The intake was out only a little and I could have left it alone but I did bring it in closer since I had it apart. I don't know how long it took me to take the panels off since time is something I have, I was careful and took more time than was needed. I did not notice any lose of power or noise before I serviced the valves. I have read various posts on this forum and it appears that the first 600 mile check is the most important and if done right, you could probably extend the other checks. I am no expert this is just my opinion.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The exhaust valve being out, often it seems by a fair bit, seems quite common for those that have done the service/check themselves. I wonder why Honda get it wrong then.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

I took my scooter for my 600 miles and the valve clears was off but they said not by much. Right now it's in the shop for another oil change but I didn't do it at 2500 like I should have. It's not under warranty any more so I took it in with over 4100 miles on it. Even the dealership thought that every 2500 miles was BS. He said that he could adjust the valves so that I could go 5000 miles before I had to do it again. As far as the cost $260. There have been some question whether all the dealers take of the panels and check the valves. I know for a fact that they do at my shop because I showed early the last time to pick it up and they still had it all apart. It didn't take them long to put it all back together.

I can't wait to pick her up on Friday.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

Well, this is the problem having 3 of these things. And while I use to be a motorcycle mechanic, and I have a garage at my place I can work on the scoot in, and am currently unemployed and have all the tools, it's still something I'm not excited about. Once I do it once, it will be much easier the next time. I'e already had the cargo box out when I changed the air filter...so I'm pretty comfy with pulling off most of the applicable bodywork for a valve adjustment.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face