? top speed pcx 125?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

marley2011

? top speed pcx 125?

Post by marley2011 »

Hi all there seems to be a big difference in top speed of the pcx 125 some say 50 -55_60_65 and even 70 mph im not to bovered but would like a nice cruising speed on motorway without thrashing the little pcx .? Or maybe get a 125 with more bhp. Just would like all your opinions . Thanks all and great site.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: ? top speed pcx 125?

Post by iceman »

Top speed seems usually to sit just over the 60mph mark (maybe 62 or such) - those reaching 70 on a 125 PCX must be going down hill with a large wind behind them, no really an indicator of performance. I for one would never push something to it's limits as most things are not made to run at the limit for long periods. In the UK, anyone wanting to reach 70 would be considering motorways not prime A roads (usually 60mph top), and if that's the case, would usually have passed their full bike test and have a 250 upwards.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

marley2011 wrote:would like a nice cruising speed on motorway
You need at least a 250 for that.
Any 125 will be revving its nuts off at motorway speeds.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ChesneyHawkes

Post by ChesneyHawkes »

I was doing 100km/h comfortably for my 350km round-trip. Of course I was on a PCX 150 but I have done 95km/h for the same trip on my PCX125.

Difference is I can now crank it up to 115-118km/h when overtaking.

On a flat road with no wind assist I doubt you can can go above 62mph without any modifications, the rev limiter would kick in by the time you hit this speed.
cumberlander

Post by cumberlander »

Can manage 62mph top speed on 2011 model sits nicely at 56 mph on my 52 mile round trip to work keeps up with traffic ok and for commuting why do you need to go faster all the cars that pass me on the bypass have to do it again at the next roundabout when I fly past them (surprising how far over these go and still grip lol)
ewing65

Post by ewing65 »

My PCX 125cc could do 62mph top speed but its really a commuting bike, in and out of traffic its really a very nippy little bike. If your doing longer motorway journeys a bigger engine is needed. I would do 55 ish on any longer trip i was doing.
beegmouse
Regular User
Regular User

Post by beegmouse »

I have an MK1 it did 65 out of the dealership and could hold it all day.

I bought an aftermarket variator, it lowered the RPM at the top end. top speed is 75 in perfect conditions, but add a crosswind or head wind (most days) and it hovers around 70. Hit a Hill and you are back down to 65.

I've now done 20,000 miles on it. All motorway and dual carriage way.

The engine is solid. And it's not really thrashing it.
Honda are conservative with their rev limiters
It's water cooled
The oil change schedule is ridiculously cautious.

And I am now considering a refresh to the MK3 (2014 model) while the bike still has some resale value.

My only qualm about putting as many miles on it as I am is that I'm too tall for it. New seat helped tonnes, but even with a tall screen the air is only being funneled into my face.
marktilley160
Year: 2011
Color: white

motorway journey

Post by marktilley160 »

hi im doing a 102 mile trip on my Honda pcx 125 and 85 miles in which is motorway would my pcx be able to go that far at 60mph
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Depends on your PCX.
If it can get up to 60mph it will sit there till you either come to a hill, hit a headwind or run out of fuel.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Depends on your PCX.
If it can get up to 60mph it will sit there till you either come to a hill, hit a headwind or run out of fuel.

Succinct and correct
geek77
Year: 2012
Color: Grey metallic

Post by geek77 »

My non-ESP 125 used to do 62 mph max, but I swapped the variator for a Malossi Multivar with 12,5 grams weights, now it does 77 mph on a stand. Also the clutch spring and Athena belt, it was a kit, except the rollers. I will let you know how fast it goes on a highway, when I test it out, but it's looking real good. (Just had this done a couple of days ago). If 12,5 grams is too much and it can't handle the wind - I will try the 11,5 grams rollers. (Rollers included with the kit were 10,5 grams)

geek77

Post by geek77 »

OK. these 12,5 grams rollers are way too heavy. The scooter does 110kmh (68mph), and doesn't have enough power to even raise the RPMs in the end.
Can't handle the wind.
Lighter rollers are on their way. This time 11,5 grams.
I will let you know how they behave.

BTW, the rollers have to match the clutch spring force, and our desired effect, it's quite a fine balance. Trial and error only. Good thing rollers are cheap as heck.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

geek77 wrote:OK. these 12,5 grams rollers are way too heavy. The scooter does 110kmh (68mph), and doesn't have enough power to even raise the RPMs in the end.
Can't handle the wind.
Lighter rollers are on their way. This time 11,5 grams.
I will let you know how they behave.

BTW, the rollers have to match the clutch spring force, and our desired effect, it's quite a fine balance. Trial and error only. Good thing rollers are cheap as heck.
What if it isn't as fast on the stand?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

geek77 wrote:OK. these 12,5 grams rollers are way too heavy. The scooter does 110kmh (68mph), and doesn't have enough power to even raise the RPMs in the end.
Can't handle the wind.
You are coming up against the balance of power versus drag from the wind and changing the weights won't make any difference above 100kmh. To really know what rpm you are pulling at for tuning the mid speed acceleration you need a tach. The $60 Koso is easy to install. Set the weights to pull at 8,000 rpm. Any reasonable amount of weight, even 10.5 gm will be already locked all the way out long before you reach 110 kmh. Especially with the long gearing of the Multivar. It may happen by as low as 90kmh even with light weights. Which after this point, different weights don't make any difference and the road speed only rises directly with rpm. You would need more power from engine mods, or better aero from tucking behind a windscreen, to go faster than 110 with a 125 on level ground.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:What if it isn't as fast on the stand?
Park it inside one of these: Image
geek77

Post by geek77 »

sendler2112 wrote:
Can't handle the wind.
You are coming up against the balance of power versus drag from the wind and changing the weights won't make any difference above 100kmh. To really know what rpm you are pulling at for tuning the mid speed acceleration you need a tach. The $60 Koso is easy to install. Set the weights to pull at 8,000 rpm. Any reasonable amount of weight, even 10.5 gm will be already locked all the way out long before you reach 110 kmh. Especially with the long gearing of the Multivar. It may happen by as low as 90kmh even with light weights. Which after this point, different weights don't make any difference and the road speed only rises directly with rpm. You would need more power from engine mods, or better aero from tucking behind a windscreen, to go faster than 110 with a 125 on level ground.
Yes that is exactly what is going on.
In this case though, I don't even need a tach - the revs don't even start going up. It stays at those stable RPMs always on the same sound note.

The 11,5 grams rollers will be here soon, there is nothing like testing them out and letting you guys know what the result is.
buddy1976
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by buddy1976 »

geek77 wrote:
sendler2112 wrote:
Can't handle the wind.
Yes that is exactly what is going on.
In this case though, I don't even need a tach - the revs don't even start going up. It stays at those stable RPMs always on the same sound note.

The 11,5 grams rollers will be here soon, there is nothing like testing them out and letting you guys know what the result is.
To get the correct revs using the multivar set up the 10.5g that come with it are the way to go, it does seem a bit over revvy to start with but after trying lots of weight combo's there is no match for the 10.5g.
Honda forza 125 2019
Malossi multivar 2000 with 8.5gr rollers
Yellow malossi contra spring
Malossi delta clutch and bell
Malossi special kevlar belt
K and n air filter
Akrapovic exhaust
BC BCTX7L-FP-S LiFePO4 Battery

Honda Pcx 125 esp 2012 uk model
Malossi Multivar 10.5g rollers
Malossi White Contra Spring
Malossi yellow clutch springs
Daytona reinforced belt
ADVANCEPro Large Diameter Drive Face
ADVANCEPro PCX125 Fi High Rigidity Bearing Slider
DNA Performance air filter
Removed air box flange
Removed seat hump
Ermax+25 windshield
geek77

Post by geek77 »

OK thanks, will try them before the 11,5 then.
marktilley160
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by marktilley160 »

I had my drive belt changed and rollers 14g 3 weeks ago and the speed as gone down to 53mph why is this .
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

marktilley160 wrote:I had my drive belt changed and rollers 14g 3 weeks ago and the speed as gone down to 53mph why is this .
Dunno.

What weights were you using before? Hell, what speed were you getting before the change?