Motorcycles - damn addictive aren't they!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCXade
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Red

Motorcycles - damn addictive aren't they!

Post by PCXade »

When I was a reckless younger man, I had some fast sports cars and always promised myself that a motorcycle was the wrong thing for me. My wife concurred and it was not even in my thoughts though i always glanced in envy at bikers zooming down the road, only guessing at the exhileration that they must be feeling.

In the last few years, now a lot older and wiser, i have become pretty much addicted to road cycling and I go out a few times a week with club members and I really enjoy it. My progress has ben rapid.

Due to this new confidence on the road and an even better understanding of road safety, especially on two wheels I convinced my wife that a scooter would be a wise purchase as it is a LOT cheaper than getting another car and will almost pay for itself.

However, and this is the rub...
I have had my lovely red scoot for only a few weeks and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I love the way it leans and moves though a bend. I love the way it stops and accelerates. I love the low running costs.
BUT I have already reached that point where I simply need more power... more speed, more acceleration and more thrills.

Is this normal? Is how things start? Is this why people start with a learner bike and end up on R1s, Blades, Ninjas and Gixxers?

I am already looking at the possibility, nee probablity, of learning the trade for a year or two and then stepping up to a Kawasaki Ninja 300 or new Yamaha R3. I have already gone to view the Ninja!

The problem is.. I always promised to never have a motorised bike, then I bought the scoot (which can still cause you damage or death) and now I am itching for a sports bike for occasional use. WTF.

I will always keep the scoot, for sure, as its brilliant for the urban runs and picking up my wife or oldest kid from work/college but I feel the need for speed....
Picked up my lovely new PCX 125 in Red on Monday 13th October 2014!
The love affair starts now....
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Re: Motorcycles - damn addictive aren't they!

Post by SECoda »

I am with you on the power and plan on picking up a second bike with the coming annual bonus. Bikers are a bit on the edge no doubt and most of my homebuilt aircraft friends (a lot of retirees) all also have scooters and I think both of those are a lean towards being adventuresome. Now the difference is I have ridden larger faster bikes a lot and the PCX is my fifth cycle. The PCX is perfect for local touring and camping which we do regularly in the warmer months so I will keep it. I have learned that the light weight, nimble handling, and comfort of a bit larger scooter is better than the larger motorcycles generally so my next bike will be a bit bigger but more powerful scooter. I am looking at Forza's as a second bike but I ride my buddy's Majesty 400 occasionally and it has a top speed of 105 mph. That is way more than I need. I think the Forza is about 86 mph but has decent passing capability in the mid 70s since most of our interstates are 70 but everyone does at least 75 mph. A little more weight than the PCX helps it in the wind. I have test rode the same Forza three times now. :lol: The Majesty is a bit peppier, though, but a bit heavier. I ride a different buddy's second Harley once in a while on some day trips and I am always glad to get off of that thing. :o
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

Don't give in to the urge for a 600 supersport unless it is a track only bike or else tickets and crashes will follow. The new Yamaha R3 looks pretty cool for something that is faster than the PCX. Or the Honda CBR500R if you are too big for the 300's. Or a used Ninja300 or CBR250R which can now be had for $2,000.
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/ ... /home.aspx
Steph
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 150cc
Color: Black PCX

Post by Steph »

If shifting gears is not your fancy, Might want to look into a Honda CTX 700N DCT. Still can shift with paddle shifters if so desired.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

PCXade wrote:I feel the need for speed....
And the speed limit where you live is...?
If you want to go fast do it properly, get on a track.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You can get scooters that are 650 cc's now, so you don't have to get a sport bike in order to get more power. You also have to know that even the PCX 150 can get up to freeway speeds. So the question is, what do you want that power for?? Do you want it so that you can travel the freeways with enough reserve power to pass slower cars or Semi trucks, or do you want it so that you can show off? There are a lot of show-off's in hospitals now, as well as former show-off's in graves....and many more who no longer have a drivers license. So ask yourself what you want the extra power for, before you buy the bigger bike. I had a Burgman 400 scooter just before I traded it for a PCX 150. I loved the extra power, but I had to ask myself what I wanted to do most with my scooter in order to only have a single one. If I had the money, I would have 2 scooters. The PCX would be my everyday scooter. The other would be a Suzuki Burgman...either the 400 or the 650.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
SECoda
Honda Forza 300 &
Honda Forza 300 &

Post by SECoda »

I just looked at a new 2013 Burgman black 400. Very nice for a second scooter. Quite a bit more denaro's than a Forza is the only problem. A bit bigger and heavier too but good if you are a bit taller. Very comfortable.
yak
Minister of Magic
Minister of Magic
Color: black

Post by yak »

Dr. Phil could do an entire tv show on this dilemma. One week after buying my PCX, i sat on a Honda cbr300. The PCX does everything i could wish for. But i know that i will be buying the bigger bike sooner or later.

Where does this end? Most of my motorcycle-riding friends smile when you talk about them owning a bike smaller than 1,000 cc. They won't even get on a bike that is smaller than 1,000cc.
ScooterMan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ScooterMan »

This is me a couple years ago on a Kawasaki 636 a couple years ago.

http://youtu.be/M2lNcSWmsb8?t=12s

I've had 30 motorcyles and am now 40 years old. I got busted doing a wheelie on the bike in this video a few months later (twice). I have since resigned myself to riding a scooter. I don't miss the sportbikes. I had so many, did so much, that I'm over it. Having a 440hp to the wheels Subaru WRX obviously helps. A fast enough car will help you forget about a fast motorcycle but it's also a lot more costly, but also safer.

Anyway, I guess if you've never had something fast on 2 wheels, nothing I can say will sway you. But if I had to say anything about it, it's not worth it. Doing a wheelie doesn't feel cool as a sensation, it's just a skill. Acceleration is kinda fun, but the faster you accel, the more you have to hold on. And cornering, just to much anxiety about doing it so hard to the point where you're dragging knee, and the consequences of a potential crash.

So anyway, I'm quite content with my PCX. Not to say that I don't see a nice sportbike and think about it. But since I sold my bike a couple years ago, several friends have offered to let me take their sportbikes for a spin and I've always declined. Not cause I'm afraid I'd want one again, but because frankly, it doesn't do it for me anymore.
2015 PCX 150 (White)[/color]
Top speed 76mph(2015) 79mph (2013)with NCY variator & Drive Face
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: White

Post by Valiant »

The highest speed limit here is 60. While I can understand the desire for more power and more acceleration, more power pretty much goes to waste here unless you're weaving through traffic. Anything in the 250cc range will handle any roads here well, so the only upgrade I'd go to is a Forza.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We took our scooters out for a long ride today. Much of that ride was on the freeway. A few months back I switched belts with my wife's scooter to try to figure out what her machine's problem was. I never switch back, so my almost new PCX has an old belt on it. In fact the belt now has 11,000 miles on it. That means my almost new PCX only tops out at 64 mph, while my wife's two year old PCX tops out at 67 mph. So, when we went on our ride today we had to hold our speed down to my maximum, not hers. Well, even at 64 mph we had a great ride! I think we did 30 mile at wide open throttle. I kept thinking that changing the variator will give me just enough added power to not slow any of the traffic. This is a 150 cc scooter and yet it keeps up with traffic on the freeway! Having a little larger bike would give me more power,but traffic would still be going 65 to 70....so how much more is enough?? My first bike was a big 1000 Cc Harley Sportster, followed by all sorts of big and fast bikes. What I learned was that the bigger the bike, the greater the temptation to go faster. I got a lot of tickets as I was maturing. Now I am happy to have just enough. If I got a bigger scooter it would not be bigger than a 400 Cc one. Reality says I wouldn't need anything bigger than that. I think a Forza would be good too, except that I don't like the style of it.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
jblye
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by jblye »

I've owned several high performance motorcycles in recent years, and every one of them came
with a dose of frustration. If you really exploit the capabilities of such bikes, lots of speeding
tickets and possibly injury or death are distinct possibilities. I began to feel that I had much
more power than I could reasonably use with those bikes.

For that reason, if I were buying a motorcycle these days, I'd probably get a Honda CBR300R
(or even a CBR250R) or a Kawasaki Ninja 300. Those are fast enough to get a reasonable
thrill without taking ridiculous risks......and they are reasonably priced, as well. The market
for bikes in that size / price range is really booming these days.

Having said that: I'm enjoying riding my new PCX150 more than my most recent motorcycle
(a Ducati sportbike). I never thought that I would say that, for sure. But it's true. I sold the
Ducati and a Buell (factory race kitted) to a man in Hendersonville, NC who is in his 80's !!
He rarely rides them. I suggested that he consider getting a PCX150.

Johnny
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I've been fortunate enough to own some fast cars over the past years including 2 Subaru WRX's, a VW Golf GTI , a VW Golf R32 3.2 litre v6 and currently a 2012 VW Golf R. The last time I was booked for speeding was when I first bought the GTI and was showing off to my wife :D That was 6 years ago, which goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks, or habits. Like thinking with the brain in the head, not the other one perched on the seat. My last scooter was a 50cc Sim and that was so slow and underpowered it was dangerous, it was sold in two weeks. My PCX satisfies my need to accelerate fast, then I allow the brain to take over and ride safely. I would also love a Honda CTX 700N DCT because it's the perfect crossover between a scooter and a motorbike, and I'm used to the paddle shifts in my Vee Dub, but I really don't need any more power or speed, as at 72 years old speeding tickets don't appeal that much. :D :D
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Steph wrote:If shifting gears is not your fancy, Might want to look into a Honda CTX 700N DCT. Still can shift with paddle shifters if so desired.
I was just thinking this morning why bike manufacturers havn't changed the way bike gears work, or at least offer options. Think Porsche.. they have fully manual, semi-automatic and fully automatic, and paddle shifts.
Obvously, from a car and road cycling back ground, gears are something you change with your hands.

:)
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

sendler2112 wrote:Don't give in to the urge for a 600 supersport unless it is a track only bike or else tickets and crashes will follow. The new Yamaha R3 looks pretty cool for something that is faster than the PCX. Or the Honda CBR500R if you are too big for the 300's. Or a used Ninja300 or CBR250R which can now be had for $2,000.
http://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport/ ... /home.aspx
Nah, a 300 is more than enough to scare me I reckon.
My first though was a 300 or 60o scooter from Honda - IIRC something called Goldwing or silverwing, not sure.

Then i saw the Ninja, and then whilst I was drooling over that i spotted an Ad for the new R3.. wow.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

Mel46 wrote:You can get scooters that are 650 cc's now, so you don't have to get a sport bike in order to get more power. You also have to know that even the PCX 150 can get up to freeway speeds. So the question is, what do you want that power for?? Do you want it so that you can travel the freeways with enough reserve power to pass slower cars or Semi trucks, or do you want it so that you can show off? There are a lot of show-off's in hospitals now, as well as former show-off's in graves....and many more who no longer have a drivers license. So ask yourself what you want the extra power for, before you buy the bigger bike. I had a Burgman 400 scooter just before I traded it for a PCX 150. I loved the extra power, but I had to ask myself what I wanted to do most with my scooter in order to only have a single one. If I had the money, I would have 2 scooters. The PCX would be my everyday scooter. The other would be a Suzuki Burgman...either the 400 or the 650.
Yeah, a larger, more powerful scoot was my first idea.. Nice to take the wife on a European tour.
Mainly the extra power is better, I assume, for touring longer distances but also a lot smoother on freeways/motorways/autobahns.

However, I have to admit I have always loved speed. I had just forgotten about it over the last decade and the PCX has reawakened the beast. The rational mature side of me knows it might well be foolish but the devil inside of me is pushing and poking me.

As somebody mentioned.. the ideal scenario is to take the moments of speed to a track day, of which there are many. However, I tried that with cars and it was too much of a faff, too far to go, too much to organise and just not realistic given the almost daily desire for adrenaline.

I suspect this will all end in tears. I need saving from myself.. but that is how I live really.
I am on of those people who loves scaring the crap out my myself skiing on runs above my ability.
Asking for trouble.. yep... Had some bad tumbles.
The only real answer is to sell the PCX and walk away. I thought I was old and wise enough to have respect for it but I suspect the inner kid has taken over. I will give this some serious thought.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

jblye wrote: For that reason, if I were buying a motorcycle these days, I'd probably get a Honda CBR300R
(or even a CBR250R) or a Kawasaki Ninja 300. Those are fast enough to get a reasonable
thrill without taking ridiculous risks......and they are reasonably priced, as well. The market
for bikes in that size / price range is really booming these days.
Johnny
Absolutely, that's what i said. 300 sounds perfect. I don't have the balls for an R6, etc, despite being a massive fan. In fact, I once owned R6.com and made it into a forum without having ever been on a motorbike :) Sold in many years ago now to an American who ran a large R6 forum.
PCXade
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCXade »

JohnL wrote:I've been fortunate enough to own some fast cars over the past years including 2 Subaru WRX's, a VW Golf GTI , a VW Golf R32 3.2 litre v6 and currently a 2012 VW Golf R. The last time I was booked for speeding was when I first bought the GTI and was showing off to my wife :D That was 6 years ago, which goes to prove you can teach an old dog new tricks, or habits. Like thinking with the brain in the head, not the other one perched on the seat. My last scooter was a 50cc Sim and that was so slow and underpowered it was dangerous, it was sold in two weeks. My PCX satisfies my need to accelerate fast, then I allow the brain to take over and ride safely. I would also love a Honda CTX 700N DCT because it's the perfect crossover between a scooter and a motorbike, and I'm used to the paddle shifts in my Vee Dub, but I really don't need any more power or speed, as at 72 years old speeding tickets don't appeal that much. :D :D
Good for you.. I doubt my need for speed will ever leave me either!
I'll bypass over the Golfs... cough. Though I did once have a new TDI as a company car for two years and it was beyond bulletproof.

I never did get a Scooby or Lancer Evo - I was always an Italian or German car fan but I did like the 2 door Scooby in the blue racing livery.. looked like it had a short wheelbase.. 3B or 3P or something.
Main problem (no offence if you also succumbed :lol: ) but everyone suddenly put huge great 8 inch exhuast pipes on the Scoobies and other Japanese pseudo-sports cars and it made me wince. :(
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

I too am getting a hankering for more power, a Forza would probably be fine but I find myself looking at the Honda NC700 the new CB500 and even the new Yamaha MT (FZ in the US) 07 !!
Lingwood
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by Lingwood »

Hi PCXade :)

Seems like you're having a mid-life crisis like me! :D

I was well into road cycling, especially Audaxing and did a Super Randonneur in 2013 (200km, 300km, 400km & 600km rides in one year).

I got a PCX in October 2013 and did my CBT on a geared bike, because we were down to one car and so I had the perfect excuse.

Through commuting every day 8 miles each way I was 1; getting fed up with drivers bugging me because of my L plates, 2; wanted a full licence so I could give my daughter a lift on it and 3; perhaps pick up something old to ride around and tinker with ;)

Passed my Theory/Hazard test at the weekend and will do Practical early next year when weather warms up.

I work close to a Honda dealer so have been looking at stuff like Hornets, CBF500's & CB500F's. I'm 50 in 2016 so want to do something to mark it! I must add that I intend to ride it like a little old lady, I do like to get home at the end of the day! :o

Hope you're enjoying the PCX and keep it when you get that motorcycle.