So glad I commute by Scoot

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

So glad I commute by Scoot

Post by iceman »

Using the car was a chore due to traffic delays and roadworks, the tube (underground rail) was costing £1500 so a bit more than the cost of running the car (fuel, insurance, road tax, MOT/service) and now the cost of a years commute with the PCX is £300 :) (£117 insurance, £17 road tax, £170 fuel/yr - maybe a bit less). There was the cost of the PCX (£2700), CBT and gear, but that is mostly a one off cost over many years.

My PCX has always given great mpg - it dropped to 129 (actual fuel in/trip) in the colder months but this morning the meter was showing 142mpg! (now on the last 3rd tank). It has always been within a few mpg as the fuel drops from full tank so when I next fill up I expect to get a real figure of 135mpg-ish. Warmer temp and perhaps the fuel moving back to summer fuel(?) has helped.

Other benefit in the UK is being able to filter through traffic, so rather than over an hour through London traffic (or 1hr30+ when traffic is not moving) it now takes little over 30 minutes going home during peak hours as I mix filtering with being safe and law abiding (not taking too many chances and not sitting in cycle boxes or filtering over zig-zags like many bikers do, which only saves a few more minutes anyway).

Great riding in good weather, a bit of a drag in cold/rainy times, but manageable.
wei2go
Regular User
Regular User

Re: So glad I started commuting by Scoot!

Post by wei2go »

I totally agree!! My commuting time went from 60min to 30min. That's an hour saving each day. 5hr saving every week. Its almost like I get an extra day free holiday every month.

Because I mainly ride my bike to work now, I've stopped paying for a parking bay at work. Just from work parking and fuel alone, I went from about R1200pm to R300pm.

Free holiday and extra money. Win win

If they built a bicycle lane from my home to office, I would totally get an electric bicycle, and charge it at the office.
Currently own a red pcx150 and a red NC750x DCT
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: So glad I commute by Scoot

Post by gn2 »

iceman wrote:filtering over zig-zags
Contrary to what many people think, you can overtake in a zig-zag area, but you must not pass the lead vehicle at the crossing.

https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-t ... 191-to-199
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

gn2 wrote:
iceman wrote:filtering over zig-zags
Contrary to what many people think, you can overtake in a zig-zag area, but you must not pass the lead vehicle at the crossing.
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-t ... 191-to-199
Yes, I know, but nearly all those that filter on zig-zags do not stop at the lead vehicle, they just go past it as they see it as a way to keep going.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Must confess that if I can see both sides of the crossing clearly and there are definitely no people intending to cross, I'll pass the lead vehicle if its stationary and waiting for a car sized gap.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

I can't wait until lane splitting becomes legal everywhere in the USA. I don't care for it in moving traffic, but my commute would literally half, if not more, if I could filter to the front at red lights.

I think it's only a matter of time; lots of people are pushing for it, and the benefits outweigh the risks.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2015

Post by Valiant »

maddiedog wrote:I can't wait until lane splitting becomes legal everywhere in the USA. I don't care for it in moving traffic, but my commute would literally half, if not more, if I could filter to the front at red lights.

I think it's only a matter of time; lots of people are pushing for it, and the benefits outweigh the risks.
Might want to assess the competency and attention span of most road drivers before saying that :roll: .
RideLondon
Regular User
Regular User

Post by RideLondon »

My experience is exactly the same as yours Iceman.

For 6 years, I was commuting by tube every day from Ealing into central London. Some people can handle public transport no problem. Personally I found it exhausting. It drained me. By the time I got in every morning, I was already in a foul mood, tired and fed up from my journey. And then when I got home in the evenings I didn't have any energy left to do any work that I needed to get done. I was having a miserable time.

The day I got my scoot everything changed. Takes me 30 mins max to get from my house into central London, and it's a FUN 30 minutes. I don't care if it's a bank holiday, or the tube drivers decide to strike, or if a leaf has blown onto the tracks and they have to shut down the network. I can go wherever I want, whenever I feel like it. No C-Charge, no parking cost, and the petrol costs 5p per mile (so my 10 mile commute costs me 50p. I am paying £1 a day to commute).

It has completely changed my life.
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

Sacha wrote:I am paying £1 a day to commute).

It has completely changed my life.
Result! :D
Skyskovski

Post by Skyskovski »

I know the freedom that it brings Iceman.
I traveled from Essex to Vauxhall Costing me £210.00 a month and 2hrs. Withing three months of doing that I bought a scoot after doing some number crunching. Now it takes me 60 min on a VERY BAD DAY and 40 min average. costing about £110. a month. I love it!!!
To be sure of hitting your target, shoot first and whatever you hit call it the target!!!!!!