Honking mad!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Honking mad!

Post by honkerman »

Ok, so yesterday I'm heading someplace or other and this guy pulls across in front of me. Of course, the first response is to counter-steer and hit the horn....Which didn't blow because I hit the turn signal button...which is where the horn is on every other bike I've ever ridden...I then fumbled around for the right button for a split second and nearly hit the guy I was that flustered.

I know, I know, I've had the PCX for getting on toward two months now and I should be used to it, but years of experience with other bikes has built in that muscle memory of where the horn should be. It would be like driving a car that no longer has the horn in the center of the steering wheel. What possessed the Honda engineers to switch this around is beyond me.

The thing is, this is not the first time I've hit the wrong button when trying to find the horn amongst the thumb controls. It's well into double digits (no pun intended).
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Alock
Year: 2015
Color: White

Re: Honking mad!

Post by Alock »

I just took delivery this afternoon of a 2015 PCX. I noticed that right away. Strange that Honda placed the horn above the turn signal toggle. Will take some time getting use to it.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The PCX was my 1st scooter - so not really had any memory to overcome :) - but I find the positioning kind of makes sense as I just move the thumb across without lifting or lowering it to get to the indicator which is used much more than the horn (I need to lift the thumb to hit that).
Wingscribe
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Post by Wingscribe »

I so feel you there. Despite being a HUGE button, I can't seem to get my thumb to it when anticipating trouble (granted, I've been at the PCX thing for all of a week).

Anyone out there mod their horn to a foot pedal?

Wait, that might be a bad idea...

Mike
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Try riding three different bikes. PCX is slightly different than Silver Wing, and on that old BMW the switches are in odd places and aren't even labeled! Have refamiliarize myself with the controls each time before setting off on that one.
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

honkerman wrote:Ok, so yesterday I'm heading someplace or other and this guy pulls across in front of me. Of course, the first response is to counter-steer and hit the horn....
Where does brakes figure in the list of responses...?
No point bothering with the horn when there's more important stuff to be getting on with.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Wingscribe wrote:I so feel you there. Despite being a HUGE button, I can't seem to get my thumb to it when anticipating trouble (granted, I've been at the PCX thing for all of a week).

Anyone out there mod their horn to a foot pedal?

Wait, that might be a bad idea...

Mike
best to mod to throttle :lol: :lol: :lol:
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:
honkerman wrote:Ok, so yesterday I'm heading someplace or other and this guy pulls across in front of me. Of course, the first response is to counter-steer and hit the horn....
Where does brakes figure in the list of responses...?
No point bothering with the horn when there's more important stuff to be getting on with.
There was some braking too, but the countersteering was more immediate. I prefer to brake lightly (until I need to brake heavily) and countersteer instead of locking the front wheel.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
spaglemon
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by spaglemon »

I've no idea why they chose that layout, my wifes big bike and my own are also Hondas with the more conventional layout of indicators above horn.
Have thought of swapping out the left switchgear for another set with the more conventional layout, it doesn't help that the pcx like I've fitted on our other bikes has a very loud horn.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:Ok, so yesterday I'm heading someplace or other and this guy pulls across in front of me. Of course, the first response is to counter-steer and hit the horn....Which didn't blow because I hit the turn signal button...which is where the horn is on every other bike I've ever ridden...I then fumbled around for the right button for a split second and nearly hit the guy I was that flustered.

I know, I know, I've had the PCX for getting on toward two months now and I should be used to it, but years of experience with other bikes has built in that muscle memory of where the horn should be. It would be like driving a car that no longer has the horn in the center of the steering wheel. What possessed the Honda engineers to switch this around is beyond me.

The thing is, this is not the first time I've hit the wrong button when trying to find the horn amongst the thumb controls. It's well into double digits (no pun intended).

Wouldn't avoiding the situation or maybe slowing down a tad have covered things?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

you you wrote:

Wouldn't avoiding the situation or maybe slowing down a tad have covered things?
Genius...Wish I'd thought of that...smh.

FYI, I always give 3-5 seconds between myself and the next vehicle (Mississipis if you will). I don't generally speed. And furthermore, how the hell am I supposed to stop someone else from pulling out in front of me? It's an unavoidable situation.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
waspmike
Regular User
Regular User

Post by waspmike »

iceman wrote:... to get to the indicator which is used much more than the horn
Try riding in Indonesia :o

HonkerMan. You just need more practise :lol: