valave adjustment,first time

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: red

valave adjustment,first time

Post by riding@100mpg »

just did a valve adjustment on my 2015 pcx 150. i waited until 2000 miles and they were pretty tight. my question is,it took me over 4 hours to do. has anyone else taken this long? i know it was my first time but getting all that plastic off and on without breaking things sure seems to be a bit difficult. that is my only complaint with the pcx. i wished they had designed it a little better or extended valve adjustments. i met a fellow pcx owner last week who has 5000 miles on his 2013 and never did a valve adjustment. he didn't even know you had to.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Re: valave adjustment,first time

Post by Oyabun »

4 hours for the first time is a really good time.
riding@100mpg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by riding@100mpg »

i really meant over 4 hours. i used that term loosely out of pride. what would a dealer charge i wonder?
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I don't know what they would charge but maybe that's the reason why my dealer never did it on my old PCX 125 V1 that clocked over 18.000 Km.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

I wonder if you can access it from underneath - removing the bottom 'dirt' plate, or does that need the trim to come off.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Congratulations... been there done that

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

riding@100mpg wrote:just did a valve adjustment on my 2015 pcx 150.
Congratulations, almost qualifies you as a whisperer :D Been there, done that and it takes a lot longer when you film it https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

iceman wrote:I wonder if you can access it from underneath - removing the bottom 'dirt' plate, or does that need the trim to come off.
I've looked at that angle, too. I can put the bike on a hoist to work on it and It really looks like I can get that v cover apart inside there. I generally try to take apart as little as possible to get where I need to go. They call me "the Gynecologist" at work!
Scoot Commute
Year: 2012

Post by Scoot Commute »

So does that mean you can access the valve clearance from beneath via black plastic cover or not?

Are you indicating the extensive conventional removal plastics right back to the rear is still the preferred option for accessing valve clearance adjustments?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

I can see the v cover from the bottom and can get my hand on it. The question is whether I can get tools in there (especially if adjustment IS needed) and get the cover back on. I'm pessimistic. If it were at all possible to do the v cover R&R with the "puzzle-beast" body in place (let alone actual adjustment), SOMEBODY would have shown the way on YouTube?
This question is right up there with: Now that everyone has a decent camera in their pocket/hands at all times, what happened to all the ET's and UFO's? :lol:
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

j.d.b. wrote: what happened to all the ET's and UFO's? :lol:
I'm sure there are plenty of those yet, you would have to crazy to admit you saw one, and film editing has reached such a level of deception for amateurs that anything can be faked. Best if you see one, film it and show it no one but your family. Kinda like Obama's pilot found out when he admitted he saw one.

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

might be a simplistic redneck solution-but why put the plastic back on?
fabricated some floorboards out of some flat bar I had hanging around- the bike is fully functional
might not be every ones cup of tea but playing with something akin to a Rubiks cube
aka plastic body parts makes no sense to me
Attachments
bike.jpg
bike.jpg (483.2 KiB) Viewed 4309 times
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

I used to do this with my smaller underbone, all it takes is a good 30 minutes, including changing the oil. Now, I'm quite scared I might not have the patience to finish it, LOL. Why oh why did they designed it like this?

Honda service in Thailand didn't check my valves at 1000 kms first service. They just changed the oil inside 5 minutes and send me off.

Now, I might need to get my hands dirty.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Unless you stood there watching them, I don't trust a dealer to actually do the job. Maybe they will break some clips on the panels trying and then give up...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Most UK delears do not do this, indeed some admitted it's not necessary unless the bike sounds bad. They will charge you £60-90 for an oil change, quick 5 minute check of lights/steering/brakes (if your lucky) and that's all. I doubt many will do it on later services unless the bike sounds bad or is causing problems (they should do it around the 10K mark if not done before, but will they?)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I have a 2013 pcx but the same problem exists for it. The 600 mile service cost us around $300. A great percent of that was beca7se of plastics removal. My answer is to get a service manual and practice taking the bike apart. Pretty soon you will become so proficient that it will take you less than an hour to take the bike apart and do the valve adjustment. Then you can take your time putting 8t back together.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Carl »

I asked my garage to check the valves whilst they were carrying out some warranty work at 6300. They would charge an hours labour for this as the bike would be in bits anyway.

They said they didnt usually recommend a check until 15,000 on the pcx125. They have never found an engine out of tolerance at that milage. This is a uk Honda main dealer.

So its not getting checked till this time next year at 15k.
zone23
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by zone23 »

Since my PCX is under warranty couldn't I tell the dealer that with bike idles ruff and seems to loose power when throttling to see if they will check the valves for free? I feel that if this is something that needs done it should be done under the warranty. My PCX does seem to idle a little rough do they all?
douce
Color: red/white

Post by douce »

Mel46 wrote:I have a 2013 pcx but the same problem exists for it. The 600 mile service cost us around $300. A great percent of that was beca7se of plastics removal. My answer is to get a service manual and practice taking the bike apart. Pretty soon you will become so proficient that it will take you less than an hour to take the bike apart and do the valve adjustment. Then you can take your time putting 8t back together.

What do they do for a 600 mile service?
ScooterAddict
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by ScooterAddict »

I did mine pretty quick. I took the seat off, removed the luggage box, and the little access door on the left side of scoot. I wanted to adjust the idle speed and do the valves. I wish they came with a factory tach instead of doing it by ear. Also changed the engine oil and diff oil. All that took about 2hrs.
2013 PCX150, GIVI tall w/s, Hondaline topcase, Tusk 15mm handlebar risers, NCY Variator, NCY Drive Face, NCY 13gram rollers. (I put a brand new Honda OEM belt on), R- Michelin City Grip, Front- Michelin City Grip, 10w30 syn with 2oz of MotorKote, GrabOn grip covers.

2013 Honda CRF250L
2-2005 Honda Metropolitan's,
I have always had big displacement road bikes. I'm now into the "small revolution."
I just need one more 2 wheeler!!