Footpump - any recommendations?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I've been using airlines at my local supermarket for a while but would like the convenience of a pump at home to top up my tyre pressures.
Using my bicycle track pump on the front is a breeze but on the rear there is not so much room to use the hinged 'clip' mechanism as the rear hub gets in the way. I don't like the idea of forcing the valve to one side. Today I borrowed my neighbours' Michelin footpume which has a screw-top valve. It was okay, it did the job but I've seen reviews casting doubt on it's long term durability. Is anybody using a pump that they would recommend please?

Bill
Image[/URL
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Footpump - any recommendations?

Post by Theboybilly »

Just had a 'lightbulb' moment. I could use an angled valve extender......doh!!

Bill
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Alternatively you could use my preferred method, just never bother checking them.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

gn2 wrote:Alternatively you could use my preferred method, just never bother checking them.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote:Alternatively you could use my preferred method, just never bother checking them.
o_O

That's horrendeously unsafe.

I keep a standard bicycle pump in my toolkit, just one of the normal ones that mounts on the bike frame.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:That's horrendeously unsafe.
No its not.
If the tyre looks inflated enough it almost certainly is.
If you get a puncture you will in all probability be riding when it happens.
If it's not a catastrophic event and the tyre stays up enough to get to your destination then subsequently loses air once you stop riding then it will look and feel under inflated when you next get on.
I know that's a lot of "ifs" but I've done 14000 miles on the PCX and the only time I have checked the pressure was the two occasions when the rear was changed.
I have never checked the front and it has been on since new.
Modern tubeless tyres fitted properly hardly ever lose any air.
Unless you fanny around checking pressures and dirt gets into the valves...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

How about something like this? I've got one, like it, use it. I plug it into the quick connect cable left under my seat that's connected to my battery (I use it in winter for my optimate battery tender).
I plug in the included cable in the kit to one under my seat and 1,2,3 it tops off tires :P
The connect valve clip on the pump's hose is a bit smaller than standard sizes I've used. Workable, easier. It's the rear tire that's a PITA.
Attachments
Air inflator & parts in kit 50001.jpg
Air inflator & parts in kit 50001.jpg (29.15 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
moto spair flat tire repair kit 50001.jpg
moto spair flat tire repair kit 50001.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 2597 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

Maybe an overkill but I use the pump for my bicycle on it. It's a Topeak Joe Blow which fits the front and rear.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
maddiedog wrote:That's horrendeously unsafe.
No its not.
If the tyre looks inflated enough it almost certainly is.
If you get a puncture you will in all probability be riding when it happens.
If it's not a catastrophic event and the tyre stays up enough to get to your destination then subsequently loses air once you stop riding then it will look and feel under inflated when you next get on.
I know that's a lot of "ifs" but I've done 14000 miles on the PCX and the only time I have checked the pressure was the two occasions when the rear was changed.
I have never checked the front and it has been on since new.
Modern tubeless tyres fitted properly hardly ever lose any air.
Unless you fanny around checking pressures and dirt gets into the valves...

It's not good. I thought you had a bit of experience behind you?

Tyre pressures are important. It's best to check them regularly.
SmellyTofu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by SmellyTofu »

+1

Tyre pressure is important indeed. Maybe not check them every week but at least once every 2 months if not every month. Our tyres are small relative to a car so any air loss which will happen on these schrader valves will impact the pressures greater than a car tyre. On my bicycle I check it every time before I go on a ride but that's because it's even smaller (by volume).
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Gn2 you surprise me. I haven't really been out on my PCX since December mostly because I've had the opportunity to get to work by train. I checked my front and it was at 24psi and the rear was 25psi. Pumping them up to 29psi & 31psi respectively was noticeably better - a much smoother ride if you will. It looks like having low pressures have had an adverse effect on my fuel consumption too as I returned an increased mileage per gallon even though the 76 miles on this latest fill-up involved a fair bit of extra throttle to my usual sedate riding.
Image[/URL
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:I thought you had a bit of experience behind you?
I do and it tells me that I don't need to check tyre pressures regularly because if the pressure gets too low it is obvious to me.
If other people want to check their tyre pressures regularly then go right ahead, whatever makes you happy.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

GN2 is a wizard, his butt has a pressure gauge. ;)

Seriously though, you may have the experience to feel the difference (especially from all your mileage), but I think you can agree that checking the pressure is important if you lack that level of feel for your bike. I can tell if my bike is down to 20psi. It just doesn't feel right by then. But even if the pressure is down to 25, I can't tell until I inflate it, and then I notice a huge difference in handling.

I check mine regularly, and it's safe to do so.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gohjohan

Post by gohjohan »

Theboybilly wrote:Just had a 'lightbulb' moment. I could use an angled valve extender......doh!!

Bill
Is that the proper name for those things? I've been looking for something like that. I too, have problems filling up the rear tire because the hub keeps getting in the way! :(
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We have several portable electric pumps which can be plugged into a cigarette lighter socket....or whatever they are called now. Since my Burgman comes with one, I can just plug the pump in and check the pressure on both bikes. Simple and quick. I wanted to install one of those outlets on our PCX but my wife said no. I really don't understand why she would be apposed to it, but it is her bike, soooo.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers