Gear oil change...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

kernmarlow

Gear oil change...

Post by kernmarlow »

I have a 2011 Honda PCX, and it's getting closer to gear oil change. Would anyone who has done this task show me step by step on how's it's done. Thanks Kern
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Gear oil change...

Post by Pcxdemon »

kernmarlow wrote:I have a 2011 Honda PCX, and it's getting closer to gear oil change. Would anyone who has done this task show me step by step on how's it's done. Thanks Kern
Undo the bottom bolt,drain the oil in to a small tub.When drained put the bolt back in and tighten it. Then undo top bolt and use a Syringe bought from local auto shop to inject replacing fresh oil,cant remember exactly how much now but it will say in the manual 160ml?
Two bolts are the only ones that have a copper washers so thats how you can quickly spot them. Also if you overfill,just let it drain out by itself from the fill hole,when it stops its at the correct level,literally flush with the bottom of the bolt hole but if you use syringe with the correct amount of oil in there than you want have that issue..

Ps use engine oil as specified 10-30 and drain and fill bolts are located just above the rear brake adjuster..

Good luck
valuesynthetics

Post by valuesynthetics »

Pcxdemon wrote:
kernmarlow wrote:I have a 2011 Honda PCX, and it's getting closer to gear oil change. Would anyone who has done this task show me step by step on how's it's done. Thanks Kern
Undo the bottom bolt,drain the oil in to a small tub.When drained put the bolt back in and tighten it. Then undo top bolt and use a Syringe bought from local auto shop to inject replacing fresh oil,cant remember exactly how much now but it will say in the manual 160ml?
Two bolts are the only ones that have a copper washers so thats how you can quickly spot them. Also if you overfill,just let it drain out by itself from the fill hole,when it stops its at the correct level,literally flush with the bottom of the bolt hole but if you use syringe with the correct amount of oil in there than you want have that issue..

Ps use engine oil as specified 10-30 and drain and fill bolts are located just above the rear brake adjuster..

Good luck
Just adding this from my 2013 service manual for visual aid 8)

-Jacob
PCX150
Nashville, TN USA
AMSOIL Independent Dealer
www.valuesynthetics.com
loudgonzo

Post by loudgonzo »

so oil is supposed to flow out from the check bolt when its at correct level? How can you fill it past this level and get the bolt back on before it spills out. Or does the manual mean to say to fill it up to lower edge of hole.
valuesynthetics

Post by valuesynthetics »

loudgonzo wrote:so oil is supposed to flow out from the check bolt when its at correct level? How can you fill it past this level and get the bolt back on before it spills out. Or does the manual mean to say to fill it up to lower edge of hole.
It only takes a small amount of oil, 0.13 US qt, 0.12 liter, 0.11 Imp qt for the change. You should have it right up to the bottom edge of the fill hole, just enough for a small trickel to come back out when complete. Bolt torque is 17 lbf-ft
-Jacob
PCX150
Nashville, TN USA
AMSOIL Independent Dealer
www.valuesynthetics.com
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Since this isn't a how-to per the guidelines here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=762, I'm moving it to the General subforum to prevent clutter. :D
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
theodor_tr
Year: 2013
Color: black

gear oil washer sizes

Post by theodor_tr »

when i changing the gear oil i measure the washer size to be able to buy next time
drain washer 16mm diameter and 8.5 inner diameter copper 1mm
filler washer 16mm diameter and 8.5 mm same size copper 1mm
Attachments
filler plug washer inner diameter
filler plug washer inner diameter
IMG_4738.JPG (35.29 KiB) Viewed 11689 times
filler plug washer diameter
filler plug washer diameter
IMG_4737.JPG (39.67 KiB) Viewed 11689 times
inner diameter
inner diameter
IMG_4736.JPG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 11689 times
washer diameter size drain
washer diameter size drain
IMG_4735.JPG (31.52 KiB) Viewed 11689 times
Benji
Year: 2012
Color: WHite

Post by Benji »

Hi there
For a gear box we should use the same oil as for engine?
Have watched a guy on youtube using 85W/90 oil.
Which should we use?
Regards
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Benji wrote:Hi there
For a gear box we should use the same oil as for engine?
Have watched a guy on youtube using 85W/90 oil.
Which should we use?
Regards
Pro Honda HP4M 10W-30 motor oil with moly.... NOT the heavy gear oil.
Attachments
oil.jpg
oil.jpg (206.88 KiB) Viewed 10144 times