New Buyer/Owner of PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

DenMarkSoul

New Buyer/Owner of PCX150

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Hello,

Got my PCX about 2 months ago. I love it! It is my only method of transportation. I mainly use it to commute to and from work. I know I was suppose to get my first service at 800 miles. (What the salesmen at Honda told me.) I'm now at 1025 miles. The hours the dealership is open and the hours I work are the same. They told me the first service would be $250. I'm a little tight on cash at the moment.

What is usually done during the first service? Is it anything easy that I'm able to do myself? Or should I just wait til I have time to bring it by the dealership? Also, should I be worried since I have went so many miles without having the first service done?

*Side Note: I do have amateur experience working on automobiles.*

Any advice and help is appreciated and I'm glad I found this site!

DenMarkSoul
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: New Buyer/Owner of PCX150

Post by khaosaming »

Here in Thailand, at first service they only changed the oil (both engine and hub). The first service should be done at 1000 km (roughly 625 miles). You are well over-due. Get down to it and change the oil. Don't wait any longer.

Congrats on your first post and welcome to the forums.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Thanks khaosaming! I will try and get that done today after work. I wonder why they were telling me it would cost me $250 for parts and labor on the first service if it's just an oil change? Hope they weren't trying to pull a fast one on me.

Thanks again khaosaming!
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

I think they included valve adjustment in your quoted price. It involves a lot of dismantling panels. In Thailand, they just skip it. The most important thing anyway is to change the oil. The valves can probably wait if they are not loud. They could be out of limit from the factory, as some people here have suggested. If you adjust the valves now, they should be good for a long time. The funny thing is, the valves, according to the maintenance schedule, need more frequent checking than oil.

Check this thread out.

http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1271

You can download a manual here:

http://www.motorcycle.in.th/filemgmt/index.php/143
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Thank you again for your response. What would you recommend for the type of oil I use? (ex. Brand) I believe your right about them quoting me for the valves as well. I will let them do that adjustment on the valves. The valves aren't being loud at the moment. *knock on wood*

Just checked both links. I actually own the manual. So I have reviewed it.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

There's a how-to on oil change by EddieC:

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Thanks for all the help. I've checked that post. Very detailed and easy to do. How long have you had yours for if you don't mind me asking?
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

It would be best to change the oil and check your valves.
If you've done this to a car, it is even easier on the PCX ;)
:ugeek: 10w-30 4 stroke oil and adjust intake valve to .004 and exhaust valve to .009
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

DenMarkSoul wrote: How long have you had yours for if you don't mind me asking?
---------------
Only since February (less than five months). My PCX has 1676 km on the clock (just checked). It's about a thousand and forty miles.
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

dasshreddar wrote:It would be best to change the oil and check your valves.
If you've done this to a car, it is even easier on the PCX ;)
:ugeek: 10w-30 4 stroke oil and adjust intake valve to .004 and exhaust valve to .009

Thanks for the response. I literally just changed the oil. I used Valvoline Motorcycle 4 stroke 10w 40 (Wet Clutch Protection). They didn't have 10w 30 at the store closest to me. It still met all the requirements in the manual. What would be the difference using 10w 30 versus 10w 40 in the scooter? How long does it typically take to do the valve adjustments?
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

khaosaming wrote:
DenMarkSoul wrote: How long have you had yours for if you don't mind me asking?
---------------
Only since February (less than five months). My PCX has 1676 km on the clock (just checked). It's about a thousand and forty miles.
Nice. i've had mine about 3 months. Loving it so far!
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

On my pcx only took about 5 minutes to adjust the valves 8)
On a stock pcx maybe an hour...(take all the panels off and stuff). :x :lol:
probably not alot of difference between 10-40 and 10-30, in theory 10-30 should give better gas mileage.
And 10-40 should give better heat protection, if I lived in Arizona or something I would probably run 10-40.
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

dasshreddar wrote:On my pcx only took about 5 minutes to adjust the valves 8)
On a stock pcx maybe an hour...(take all the panels off and stuff). :x :lol:
probably not alot of difference between 10-40 and 10-30, in theory 10-30 should give better gas mileage.
And 10-40 should give better heat protection, if I lived in Arizona or something I would probably run 10-40.

How'd you get yours to only be 5 minutes?! haha I need to get mine to be that way! lol
I live in Georgia and it gets humid and warm but it's not Arizona dry heat. lol
Thanks for replying and helping with all the info. I appreciate it.
Just did all the checks requested in the manual for up to 1000 except the engine idle and valve adjustments.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

You're in GA, use the 10w40. I live in Marietta, so I'm only a couple of hours from you. My PCX has been through the gnarly, potholed streets of Savannah and Tybee many a time though, fun times. :)

My valves were off-adjustment from the factory, you should check them for sure. Make sure the bike sits overnight, off, before adjusting them -- never adjust valves on a warmed-up engine.

The maintenance intervals are here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

You should be able to DIY everything on the PCX, and Honda USA generally is known for honoring warranties even if you DIY it (they have to prove neglect to legally not cover it). Save yourself some money and use the how-to section instead of a dealer for your maintenance. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

maddiedog wrote:You're in GA, use the 10w40. I live in Marietta, so I'm only a couple of hours from you. My PCX has been through the gnarly, potholed streets of Savannah and Tybee many a time though, fun times. :)

My valves were off-adjustment from the factory, you should check them for sure. Make sure the bike sits overnight, off, before adjusting them -- never adjust valves on a warmed-up engine.

The maintenance intervals are here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

You should be able to DIY everything on the PCX, and Honda USA generally is known for honoring warranties even if you DIY it (they have to prove neglect to legally not cover it). Save yourself some money and use the how-to section instead of a dealer for your maintenance. :)

Thanks for all the help and info maddiedog!! Just finished adjusting the valves and wanted to test to make sure everything is running good. So I reconnected everything except putting all the panelling back on.

When I go to start the PCX I hear a click and the check engine light flashes but no start. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Also, I did disconnect the battery and left it sitting over night with the battery disconnected. I reconnect the battery and did a battery test. Battery is fully charged and good. Just no idea why it wont start now. I have 1200 miles on it and this is the first valve job being dont on the pcx. Thanks.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Was your engine in TDC (top dead center) when you did the valve adjustment?

Can you tell if the click is a mechanical click from metal on metal, or a click from a motor not spinning up?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Also, did you reconnect your fuel pump?
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

maddiedog wrote:Was your engine in TDC (top dead center) when you did the valve adjustment?

Can you tell if the click is a mechanical click from metal on metal, or a click from a motor not spinning up?

So I got it to start. The reason it wasnt starting before was because I had the side kick stand down. smh. lol

But now it is running but a clicking noise is present. Everything is connected. The fuel pump, etc.

It doesnt sound like its coming from where I did the valve adjustments but behind it. Possibly the engine?

The noise wasnt present before.
DenMarkSoul

Post by DenMarkSoul »

Also, I did have it at top dead center when doing the adjustment. should I shut off and readjust?