Condensation behind speedo glass

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

brendan_honda

Condensation behind speedo glass

Post by brendan_honda »

I had this problem for a number of months and it seems that it will persist. Do anyone else has this problem ? It mostly persists in the hot summer months when the scooter is left in the sunlight for a couple of hous. The most annoying thig of all is that i have some condensation trapped with dust and it won't go from underneath the speedo glass and it doesn't look nice.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Condensation behing speedo glass.

Post by Taz »

Do you have a photo of it? Do you use a cover or wash the dash a lot?
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

not so clear in photo. I don't think that it has to do with washing as the first time it occurred i didn't ever wash the bike before. And i don't use a cover normally.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Maybe the dealer washed it prior to delivery or placing on a showroom floor?

This may not apply to the OP, but may be helpful to others. I had some water vapour under the speedo glass after washing the PCX for the first time. I now take care not inundate the speedo recess. I just wipe it clean. Don't use car wash shampoo or any detergent when cleaning the speedo. Detergents break molecyles and reduce surface pressure making water sneak inside more easily.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Take it to bits, dry it out, put it back together.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Take it to bits, dry it out, put it back together.

I once had a live earwig in a rev counter. It used to pop out onto the dial every so often. Really irritating
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Not sure maybe a bad idea? How about a hair blower set on Cool temp on low or high fan speed? Or perhaps Low Heat set on Low fan speed? If using heat it's best to keep it a distance while sweeping it side2side. :o Or rip that baby apart, dry and clean 'er out. Then apply some sealer (?) or weatherstrip? Rebuild. Just some thoughts :roll:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Is your PCX still under the factory warranty? You might be able to have them replace the unit.

If there's moisture in there, one of the seals is going bad or is improperly positioned. Cleaning it out and drying it thoroughly may only patch the problem until it rains hard and the issue comes back. You may want to order a new gasket -- part 002 in this diagram: http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_d ... cr2CZxCoTY and Honda part number 37202-KWN-901.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

Thanks for all the tips but i think the best option is to get it replaced since it is under warranty. The thing that irritates me most is that some of the "water" in there had some dirt and now it is still there like deposits from salt water onto the glass.
The only concern is whether during the job the guys n the garage screw something else since the scooter has to be dismantled from the seat forward as show in the service manual.
But it has to be changed.
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

Here is a photo. teh most visible are those droplets like in the bigger oval
Attachments
Here is the photo. Not so clear but in direct sunlight very visible
Here is the photo. Not so clear but in direct sunlight very visible
20130619_061111 (1024x767).jpg (300.04 KiB) Viewed 1795 times
brendan_honda

Post by brendan_honda »

Going for the replacement. After wondering that the problem would eventually persist and a removal would be the only choice i would be Better off with a new Speedo. Even the pcx willl be "new" since milage counter would come to 0 mles with the new replacement speedo. :D