New PCX top speed???

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

TasmanianDevil

Re: New PCX top speed???

Post by TasmanianDevil »

sendler2112 wrote:
TasmanianDevil wrote:My top speed is 76mph about 122kmh.

All the pcx i know do more than 100kmh...
Your speedo reads fast by 8%. Maybe 10%. What is the year and displacement of your PCX?
2010 with jcosta variator and kn filter.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

qed wrote:63 USMPG from a car that is incredible.
Most people got about 58 mpgUS with that car.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight
Scroll down to see the numbers for the 01-06 version. Toyota says the Prius was the first (maybe by one month) but the first gen Honda Insight was the all time fuel economy champ.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
qed wrote:63 USMPG from a car that is incredible.
Most people got about 58 mpgUS with that car.
http://www.fuelly.com/car/honda/insight
Scroll down to see the numbers for the 01-06 version. Toyota says the Prius was the first (maybe by one month) but the first gen Honda Insight was the all time fuel economy champ.
Oh yes - never bumped into one before - its a hybrid I take it?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Hybrid, 3cyl, all aluminum, even the frame. The most aero car ever mass marketed. Very advanced.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:Hybrid, 3cyl, all aluminum, even the frame. The most aero car ever mass marketed. Very advanced.
Given it is 11 years old - have the accumulators been replaced?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Emission related parts are warrantied 8 years/ 80,000 miles in the USA. California owners (who else?) brought a class action suit to make Honda warranty the Hybrid system for 10 years/ 150,000 miles. This car was the pet project of one of the chief executives (I think he was Honda family) so they took it to heart and voluntarily extended the warranty to all US and Canada cars. Maybe worldwide? My battery went bad with 92,000 miles. I ignored it as it needed to be reset every three months, then every month, then every week, then drove the car with no hybrid system (the fuel economy was almost the same but the acceleration was very slow-66hp gas?) until the warranty was changed. Honda bought me a new battery and improved controller. $5,500 worth. That was 120,000 miles ago. If it goes again, there are now aftermarket batteries available. I would like to keep it going forever but the engine is getting tired now.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

63 mpg is great for the automatic transmission, but not very good for the manual. The early Insight with a manual got stellar mpg.

Check this out...
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/mpg/MPG.do?a ... el=Insight

Note the superior numbers for the manual transmission models. Also keep in mind these MPG numbers are for American gallons.

The 2000-2006 model Insights didn’t sell well in the US because they were small and uncomfortable to drive. The Prius easily outsold the Insight due to its more pleasant ride in spite of inferior MPG. Honda introduced a Hybrid Civic, but it didn't do well, and the courts are awarding damages for failed mpg claims. The new Insight is a much nicer car, but the Prius has a handsome lead in the hybrid market.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

We have a 2010 Prius (Gen 3) and are getting 49.6 mpg ytd. …Which is why I can’t get a bigger scooter. I can’t reconcile getting lousy gas mileage compared to our car!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Those Prius things are thirsty beasts...

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

gn2 wrote:Those Prius things are thirsty beasts...
Yeah right... Now tell me what four-wheel vehicle you're driving that gets more than 49 mpg.

Put up or shut up.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Did you watch all of the video?
My Nissan Micra averages 55mpg.
Its a normal petrol engine job and cost me much less to buy than a Toyota Pious would have.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Just went on Fuelly and the Micra seems to average 42ukmpg (with 53 the best) and the plug in Prius 96ukmpg.
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

gn2 wrote:My Nissan Micra averages 55mpg.
Forgive me. I shouldn’t have been so general to say “four-wheel” vehicle.

Supposing I bought gas in Imperial gallons, I should have said we get 59.5 mpg. So you’re saying your Nissan, which is HALF the weight of a Prius gets worse gas mileage?

Pity.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

gn2 wrote:Did you watch all of the video?
My Nissan Micra averages 55mpg.
Its a normal petrol engine job and cost me much less to buy than a Toyota Pious would have.
Half the size , half the performance,only comfortable to the local shop for some groceries stock up or just enough to replace a two wheeler on a shitty day....
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Taz wrote:Just went on Fuelly and the Micra seems to average 42ukmpg (with 53 the best) and the plug in Prius 96ukmpg.
Plug ins have to pay for their electricity too. Some Chevy Volt owners report only using as much gas as 250 mpgUS but they are buying lots of electricity. The Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi MiEV are cool cars if you only ever go 60 miles round trip but my commute is 80 miles. The Prius C becomes interesting with it's lower price but I really like the price/ performance/ economy of the new Ford Fiesta. Only 38 mpgUS but is the second cheapest car in the US next to the Chevy Spark and is very nice to drive.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

sendler2112 wrote:
Taz wrote:Just went on Fuelly and the Micra seems to average 42ukmpg (with 53 the best) and the plug in Prius 96ukmpg.
Plug ins have to pay for their electricity too. Some Chevy Volt owners report only using as much gas as 250 mpgUS but they are buying lots of electricity. The Nissan Leaf or Mitsubishi MiEV are cool cars if you only ever go 60 miles round trip but my commute is 80 miles. The Prius C becomes interesting with it's lower price but I really like the price/ performance/ economy of the new Ford Fiesta. Only 38 mpgUS but is the second cheapest car in the US next to the Chevy Spark and is very nice to drive.

I run around in a Peugeot 107, same as a Citroen C1 and the Toyota Aygo. Nippy and economical
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

There's a lot of different types of Micras.
Mine is a 2010 1.2 petrol and the way it gets used is not typical.
It never does a journey less than fourteen miles and that's on country roads with minimal traffic.
It hardly ever goes into the city and any time it does its not during peak traffic times and it gets driven by someone who has had professional training in how to drive economically.
Urbanian wrote:So you’re saying your Nissan, which is HALF the weight of a Prius gets worse gas mileage?

Pity.
No need to pity me, the car cost many thousands less than what a Pious costs so overall I'm well ahead.
Pcxdemon wrote: Half the size
Wrong
Pcxdemon wrote:half the performance,
Wrong
Pcxdemon wrote:only comfortable to the local shop for some groceries stock up or just enough to replace a two wheeler on a shitty day....
Wrong for a third time.
At least you're consistent. :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

sendler2112 wrote:Emission related parts are warrantied 8 years/ 80,000 miles in the USA. California owners (who else?) brought a class action suit to make Honda warranty the Hybrid system for 10 years/ 150,000 miles. This car was the pet project of one of the chief executives (I think he was Honda family) so they took it to heart and voluntarily extended the warranty to all US and Canada cars. Maybe worldwide? My battery went bad with 92,000 miles. I ignored it as it needed to be reset every three months, then every month, then every week, then drove the car with no hybrid system (the fuel economy was almost the same but the acceleration was very slow-66hp gas?) until the warranty was changed. Honda bought me a new battery and improved controller. $5,500 worth. That was 120,000 miles ago. If it goes again, there are now aftermarket batteries available. I would like to keep it going forever but the engine is getting tired now.
Me and my wife are planning on having kids in a year, so I'm selling my truck and all my bikes (other than the PCX) next spring. We're looking into economy cars to replace my truck -- the Insight is awesome! The more I look at them, the more I want one, especially considering their mpg is better than my Silverwing. I will probably get a gen1 (1999-2006) next spring. Anything I should look out for on a used one?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The Pregen Insight only has two seats and most of them will be out of warranty for the battery. An original battery definitely won't make it past 100,000 miles. The new controller is gentler on accel so my replacement is still good after 115k. I'm not sure if the coverage increased beyond 8 years with the suit. Insightcentral is a good forum. It is also a cult car that far surpasses it's successor so the used price went sky high. People still want $12,000 for a nice one. You can buy a brand new Fiesta for $14,000. A used, new gen Insight might even be cheaper than the pregen now I haven't checked because it is only around 45 mpg and has a buzzy engine and CVT auto trans. The Prius batteries have proven extreme longevity but people that don't know that tend to trade them cheap at 90,000. A clean, 90,000 mile Prius would be a great car to steal for $5,000. We took a show of hands at an eco challenge I attended and there were six or so Prius owners and none had ever done a major drive train repair including the organizer's with 186,000. Original battery. I will probably go that route if my Insight dies. Or a new Fiesta. My Brother has one of the first Chevy Spark but I haven't driven it yet but I think the Ford is the better value. The smallest Kia gets good reviews. Focus, Cruze, Elantra, Mazda6. There are many cars to choose from right now that get 38 mpgUS. Volkswagon diesel. Don't know if they require exhaust fluid which negates any fuel savings. New Prius C is a stripped down cheapie at $19,000 and might be the only new car in the US that can break 50 mpgUS. Fuelly is a great resource.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

How much is a new battery though? I can't imagine the main battery would be too expensive. There's some ones locally for not too much, (no mileage listed): http://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/3319195126.html or http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/3329702089.html.

I could get the Prius, but I insist on getting a manual. The only time I've ever not been bored commuting was with a stickshift, or on 2 wheels.

I don't really want a diesel, so a Volkswagen is out of the question. In addition, any new car is out of the question. I bought my PCX new, but I wouldn't ever buy another bike or car new again.

Even if I could find a used Ford Fiesta, I'd just as soon get a Honda Fit as a Fiesta -- I'd get the same MPG, but the Honda is nicer and looks cooler. Maybe a Fit would be a good compromise... 35mpg, but you can get used ones for under $8k (http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/3321550880.html), which would mean I'd be able to sell my bikes, get a good car, and still pocket a few thousand. What do you think of the Fit? I haven't heard anything good or bad, which is probably a good thing, it means they're dependable, average Hondas. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes