New PCX top speed???

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Re: New PCX top speed???

Post by sendler2112 »

I have an 09 Fit auto. Good car. Very versatile the way the rear seats fold all the way down My daughter gets 36 mpg. I can crack 40. Gets blown around in sidewinds and the steering has some sticktion like most rack cars. The Fiesta steers, shifts, brakes much nicer. But they are new only right now.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Ford builds good trucks, not cars -- my mom's Taurus' engine mounts failed at less than 100k miles, and part of the engine basically fell through the chassis while we were going down the highway. It was a complete write-off, and we were lucky to be ok.

I'll have to test one out, they seem like the overall cost of ownership might end up being less than the Insight. Easier to work on too...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

The new Fords are nothing like the old. All their new cars are cutting edge.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:Ford builds good trucks, not cars
That may be the case for the US but not in Europe where Ford make some outstanding cars.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
That may be the case for the US but not in Europe where Ford make some outstanding cars.
you mean truly average?
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

maddiedog wrote:used
Another thing. You might be shocked at the value that dealers are putting on used cars. The cash for clunkers deal crushed a lot of gas guzzling but still viable used cars off of the road and the market is still unbelievably elevated as a result. I have seen many of my friends look and look for a good used car and end up buying new as it is within 20% of the used car and has better fuel economy technology. A used Yaris with a stick is a very hard car to buy. They even want $10,000 for a used Aveo and that is not a good driving car.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

@QED, I was thinking more of their EcoBoost cars which are most definitely not average.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

qed wrote:
gn2 wrote:
you mean truly average?
:lol: Yep...
Urbanian
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Urbanian »

Fit would be near the top of my list if looking for a new econobox; truly a remarkable car.

We had a 5-speed Civic for 12 years. Best car we ever owned. Roomier on the inside than you would think, consistently excellent gas mileage, surprisingly high crash scores, and remarkably reliable; what’s not to love? Find an older model in any trim you like with low miles, and you’ll have a great car for years to come.

We had a diesel Jetta for a while and loved driving it. What we didn’t like was the constant trips to the repair shop for small detail stuff breaking regularly. We didn’t keep it very long.

Nobody ever said a Prius was a fun car to drive, but I find it very amusing. Unlike the older Insight, it seats four with plenty room.

I once heard someone say the way to find the age of a used car in people-years, is to divide the number of miles by the year the car was built. My 1998 van has 93,000 miles, so it is 46.5 years old.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

sendler2112 wrote:Another thing. You might be shocked at the value that dealers are putting on used cars. The cash for clunkers deal crushed a lot of gas guzzling but still viable used cars off of the road and the market is still unbelievably elevated as a result. I have seen many of my friends look and look for a good used car and end up buying new as it is within 20% of the used car and has better fuel economy technology. A used Yaris with a stick is a very hard car to buy. They even want $10,000 for a used Aveo and that is not a good driving car.
Before I got my truck, I looked into getting an economy car for awhile. They were basically giving Aveos away, I had them down to $8000 out the door. They're piles of crap, I wouldn't believe for a second they could successfully sell used ones for that much. Looking on Autotrader, there are some used ones up there, but there's also ones that are almost identical for half that at other dealers.

The market varies by area and car -- we actually had to trade in my wife's Civic on her Pilot because we couldn't get anyone to buy it on Craigslist for more than what was offered on trade-in (about $5200 for a 2003 Honda Civic auto w/130k miles). There's an excess of used cars for sale on the private market here in Atlanta. I'm guessing it's because most people who are looking to buy a used car want financing, which is why the dealers are offering such good deals on trade-ins.

The economy point is very valid though -- it's like buying a new PCX instead of buying a used 125cc. Their costs will be almost the same from the dealer, the new PCX150 will be hardly more than an almost-new PCX 125.

I won't be doing anything yet, but I move to my new house next month and probably won't need the truck for awhile, I'll start shopping around, and will make sure to try some new or almost-new from dealer cars too.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes