The DAMN Seat Latch

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

The DAMN Seat Latch

Post by ScooterKim »

Anyone noticed the seat is hard to latch?? And no, I don't have the compartment crammed full... Is it just me or is this a PCX issue? Anyone have a couple of suggestions and ways that they get their seat to latch?
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: The DAMN Seat Latch

Post by logepoge1 »

Everyone has this issue. You just push down on it. You get used to it
ImageImage
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

ImageImage
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks for the thread, logepoge1. I've been using the wacking method. guess I'll try the push down hard at the end and see what that does.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if this helps or not but we found out after changing out the seat that as soon as we added the rubber seal around it, the seat became harder to close. That tells me that it is suppose to be hard in order to seal it better. We have to wack ours or line up the connectors and press down real hard.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I think it would be better for the seat to close by pushing down rather than wacking it
ImageImage
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I just put the seat down on the latch and press it down at the back until it clicks. No whacking required.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

Alibally wrote:I just put the seat down on the latch and press it down at the back until it clicks. No whacking required.
Me too.
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I actually like the seat latch being this way, and I think its design was intentional. My past scooter had an incredibly easy to latch seat, so easy that it would latch when I did not want it to. I was often afraid that the seat would latch if I accidentally left the ignition key inside. With my PCX it takes a very deliberate process to lock the seat down, giving plenty of opportunity to temporarily put the seat down and lift it up again without having to push the seat unlatch button once again.
Pedro-agogo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Pedro-agogo »

I definitely like this latch after years of a super-sensitive latch on my Honda Lead.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

See the two Black Rubber Bumpers on the back of the Seat when You raise it that sit on the two raised places on the Bodywork covering the Grab Rail...???...simply trim a little material off of Them with an X-Acto.....Seat will latch easily, and remain latched.....!!!!!..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
Indyglow
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by Indyglow »

I just gently press down on my seat and it latches easily.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Indyglow wrote:I just gently press down on my seat and it latches easily.

Not all of Them will do this.....we had two PCX125s in 2011, one had no issues, the other was hard to latch and popped back open every time it was ridden. Also easy to pop open with Your hands. The Latch can be adjusted below the bodywork but it's simpler/faster to just trim the Rubber Bumpers...my Wife's PCX150 is fine, mine had to have "Bumper Trimming"..... ;) 8)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks for your take on the latch, Skuuter. I have stopped wacking it and now do the pressing down method. easily and my seat latch do not belong in the same sentence. sometimes it connects and holds, sometimes pressing straight and sideways and I can feel it catch hold. most times it takes awhile. the hubby is able to do all kinds of fix it stuff and I will tell him to trim the rubber bumper. that makes sense. or, I can just call the dealer as the warranty is still good 'til August and have them trim, if it's all covered. I knew it wasn't just me, not being able to latch the seat!
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

use your palm and put some of your weight into it as you press down until it latches.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I agree with former50cc. Mine, always requires a palm push (while holding the rear of the grab bar) to latch it. I would rather make an intentional closure than have it fall & latch on its own. I can picture this: Temps are high, myself fully geared, opening seat, laying key inside box (you know...momentarily :roll: when suddenly the seat falls & latches! This would be me: :x and profusely Hot!
When I took delivery it bugged me, thought latch was faulty. Not today. Kudo's to Honda! Likey :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

The "Real" Problem on some of Them (and no amount of different closing methods will cure it) is the Seat Latch on the Scooter is out of adjustment from the Factory. The 10mm Screws need to be loosened, and the Latch adjusted upwards slightly. The Bumper Trim is just a faster, simpler, safer (no worries of plastic tabs breaking off during body panel removal) method to cure the problem. Even with my Bumpers trimmed, I still have to press the Seat to latch it...simply "falling down" will not do it...... ;)
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

thanks, everyone, for all your ideas and suggestions on my latching experiences. I think I will swing by the Honda dealer next week and see if all this is covered under warranty. if so, I will run some of your ideas by the service rep to "show" him I am not just some dumb blonde (I'm actually more grey than blonde). if that does not work, I will have the hubby look at the bumper trim or maybe even loosening the screws.

well, off to the Mopar / Chrysler show that is in town this week. we will bring the camper that is on our 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel 6 speed manual and probably one of the Barracuda's. the scooter will come to run around on later to see if we can find any "prizes" / barn finds, or good deals that just cry out, buy me and fix me up. the hubby wants to bring his 1970's Honda Trail 70 to putt around on too. Of course, my avatar, Kati, aka Boo / Boo Girl will come with and be the meeter and greeter in our booth. talk to you all this weekend and will let you know how we made out at the show.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

ScooterKim wrote:thanks, everyone, for all your ideas and suggestions on my latching experiences. I think I will swing by the Honda dealer next week and see if all this is covered under warranty. if so, I will run some of your ideas by the service rep to "show" him I am not just some dumb blonde (I'm actually more grey than blonde). if that does not work, I will have the hubby look at the bumper trim or maybe even loosening the screws.

well, off to the Mopar / Chrysler show that is in town this week. we will bring the camper that is on our 3/4 ton Dodge Diesel 6 speed manual and probably one of the Barracuda's. the scooter will come to run around on later to see if we can find any "prizes" / barn finds, or good deals that just cry out, buy me and fix me up. the hubby wants to bring his 1970's Honda Trail 70 to putt around on too. Of course, my avatar, Kati, aka Boo / Boo Girl will come with and be the meeter and greeter in our booth. talk to you all this weekend and will let you know how we made out at the show.
Post back after You get it taken care of Girl..... ;)
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

The first dealer where we saw the PCX didn't have a clue about it (they are a BIG multi-brand powersports multi-location dealer). The dumbass salesman whacked the heck out of the seat, trying to slam it down. My wife said, "Well, I sure don't want to buy that one." :roll:

The dealer where we bought ours showed us the "lower the seat and press down with your hand, with some weight on it." Easy. Works every time.

Slamming it down doesn't work.
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s