Georgia riders - need some clarification on the law

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Georgia riders - need some clarification on the law

Post by Mel46 »

I am also a member on another forum and I just heard from one of them that the police had stopped their group and checked their bikes, ending up with some tickets to scooters under a true 200cc's supposedly because they were riding on a 'restricted access road'....a freeway, and were under the allowed minimum cc's. I know they have this restriction in California in that they have a middle class between mopeds and motorcycles called 'motor driven cycles' (huhhhhh??...I had to look that one up on the internet.), but have never heard of this in any other state. My wife and I take our PCX 150 on the freeway all the time because it is supposedly freeway certified. Does anyone know anything about a cc restriction aside from the normal 50cc moped?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Georgia riders - need some clarification on the law

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I am also a member on another forum and I just heard from one of them that the police had stopped their group and checked their bikes, ending up with some tickets to scooters under a true 200cc's supposedly because they were riding on a 'restricted access road'....a freeway, and were under the allowed minimum cc's. I know they have this restriction in California in that they have a middle class between mopeds and motorcycles called 'motor driven cycles' (huhhhhh??...I had to look that one up on the internet.), but have never heard of this in any other state. My wife and I take our PCX 150 on the freeway all the time because it is supposedly freeway certified. Does anyone know anything about a cc restriction aside from the normal 50cc moped?

Could all be Chinese whispers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

In theory, that is how it is in Massachusetts. The dealer told us that anything under 250 was not allowed on "the highway". I'm taking that to mean interstates. I have tried to find the actual law in the state regulations, but man, are they weaselly. I have found no mention of an actual number of cc's, except for the 50, below which one does not need a motorcycle licence plate.

I think that a one or two scooter group would be unlikely to attract attention if it were going at speed limit, but that maybe a bigger group looked like an interesting target to a bored cop.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

such laws vary by state. i did a bit of a google search and couldnt find out. i suggest you ask at the DMV or whatever your state police are called in georgia (highway patrol, state trooper, etc).
ScooterKim
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by ScooterKim »

GeorgeSK wrote:I think that a one or two scooter group would be unlikely to attract attention if it were going at speed limit, but that maybe a bigger group looked like an interesting target to a bored cop.

I think you hit the proverbial nail in the head here, GeorgeSK.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well from what I had heard the cop that day was a real SOB, but he would still have to have a real law to write a ticket against. I guess I can find a police station and hope they aren't in a bad mood like most are. I think they all get their Cheerios pee'd on every morning just so they can have a scowl on their face!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

Ohio, it's 250cc or above for interstate highways. The ones in my county even specify it on the on ramp signs. I think if you're keeping up with traffic, they probably wouldn't think twice. It would raise a few brows when a small wheeled Vespa 300 GTS went screaming by doing 80 mph ;)
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Mel46 wrote:Well from what I had heard the cop that day was a real SOB, but he would still have to have a real law to write a ticket against. I guess I can find a police station and hope they aren't in a bad mood like most are. I think they all get their Cheerios pee'd on every morning just so they can have a scowl on their face!
wow, i wonder if the cops are really that different in georgia? the cops in texas and oklahoma tend to be professional, helpful and courteous as long as you are a respectful upstanding citizen type. i would suggest trying the state police as i said previously as they tend to be more professional, courteous and informed than some of the small town cops which can be more likely to to jerks and idiots.

lettuce know what you find out!
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Yes, this law varies from state to state. I believe that it may even be 300cc in NY State where I moved from about a year and a half ago.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
PKrellner
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PKrellner »

I couldn't find anything in Utah DMV laws on operating specifically on an interstate. The law did state however that any two wheeled motor driven vehicle over 150cc is considered a motorcycle. Also, anything above 40cc requires a license and there are three classes. One is 90cc or less, next is up to 249cc, next up to 649cc and then, if you test on a bike over 649cc you can ride any size bike. I never asked anyone how the various classes of licensing would affect insurance etc. I opted for really good coverage for my PCX and it runs $200 a year. I'd have to check and see what my registration cost me but I'd have to move my ass off the chair and , right now, I'm too damn lazy to do that. Maybe later if anybody really cares. On a side note, it's Sunday here and, because this state has a lot of Mormons who attend church all day, traffic is extremely light. This makes it a great day to get out in for a nice quiet ride. Going out in a little while to enjoy a scoot around town.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We bought the PCX so we could go places. Now I am wondering if we will have to consider a larger scooter just to keep from getting a ticket. Right now my wife is really attached to her little scooter, so any replacement had better be great and be low enough that she can touch the ground with both feet. That is another reason why I would be interested in the new Forza, IF I can find a lower seat.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The Whispers job is done.
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

In Thailand, no two-wheeler, no matter what size, is allowed on the freeways or expressways (tollways, elevated freeways). There's a total ban on motorcycles and scooters on true restricted freeways (like Bangkok-Chonburi freeway). They are called 'motorway' in Thailand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regulation ... n_freeways
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

khaosaming wrote:In Thailand, no two-wheeler, no matter what size, is allowed on the freeways or expressways (tollways, elevated freeways). There's a total ban on motorcycles and scooters on true restricted freeways (like Bangkok-Chonburi freeway). They are called 'motorway' in Thailand.

Oh, no its still going...
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

khaosaming wrote:In Thailand, no two-wheeler, no matter what size, is allowed on the freeways or expressways (tollways, elevated freeways). There's a total ban on motorcycles and scooters on true restricted freeways (like Bangkok-Chonburi freeway). They are called 'motorway' in Thailand.
There are even a number of overpasses/bypasses in Bangkok that motorcycles on not "supposed' to go on. I say supposed, because many go on them anyway. Just today a friend was telling me that as he went on a bypass, half a dozen or so motorcycles starting coming toward him, travelling in the wrong direction. o_O Everything made sense when he got to the top of the bypass and saw the police check at the bottom of the other end. :o The motorcyclists who were travelling the wrong way on the bypass had simply made a quick u-turn when they saw the police. :lol:
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

In CA 150cc+ for any road.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I sifted thru Georgia's Motorcycle Operators manual and I see no mention of minimum cc's on highway or interstate.

Here is a phone number (Atlanta) where your question should be able to be answered. 866 754 3687

If it was me I would just ride and forget about it. If they make it this difficult to get the answer and you get a ticket, take them to court.
OriginalRocket
Regular User
Regular User

Post by OriginalRocket »

Wow, Not fun situation you have!

In Illinois the law is pretty damn clear.
under 50cc (49.9cc) Just a driver's license (standard automobile) is required. Allowed on roads 55mph or slower
[legislation is being written to restrict these to 30mph or slower roads, but is not law yet of this writing]

50cc-124cc The state offers a class "L" license, meaning limited license. Designed for low power scooter and motorcycles primary for city riding conditions. Allowed on roads 55mph or slower

125cc and greater need a class "M" license. BUT anything lower than 150cc's is restricted to roads 55mph and slower, ie no interstates

Good luck with your search! I've called my local DMV a few times and they point me to the online laws of Illinois, but offer no other help and state call the police, who in turn say call the DMV. Luckily I have a degree in criminal justice so just FINDING the law is somewhat easier.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

In louisiana there is one motorcycle license and that's it. I don't know about interstate laws but don't plan on riding them anytime soon. I just take the service road alongside the interstate here. And I don't see how people can ride without a helmet. Here it is law that you must have one. But I couldn't imagine not wearing one after having a dragonfly slam into my helmet and stick there(which I didn't realize until after a couple of miles later and at a stoplight when I reached up to open the vent)
ImageImage
bountybuddy
Regular User
Regular User

Post by bountybuddy »

The more I read about the Honda PCX 150 the more I like it but after reading about your problem it might be a good idea to buy a Forza 300. In the Philippines they do not give tickets. On the freeway you see 125cc and smaller riding along the shoulder or the road. I haven't had to do this yet but here if you get stopped you apologize and ask the officer if you give him 200P will he take care of it for you. He says yes he will take care of it. You give him the money, thank him and drive away. He puts the 200P in his pocket and is very happy he got the money. 200P is about $5.00 US dollars.

Good luck with your problem. They do have some crazy laws.