Yes yes yes!Almost new driver!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

RobiX

Yes yes yes!Almost new driver!

Post by RobiX »

Hi there.My name is Robert and im from UK Cambridgeshire (well actualy I came from Russia but i live now in uk)

It's gna be a bit big story and sorry for my english it's not the best one i know.

So right now i own chinese shitty scooter Jm star 50cc for 5 months.I can get up to 40 miles/h if i go downhill and wind behind me.Aceleration is crap.Carb is missing needle top so it moves inside freely.When i was passing my CBT i had peugot 50cc restricted and it was like super nitro bike for me or somthing equal.

Anyways one day my drive belt died and i had to push my scoot for good 10 miles back home along the road.It was rainy and cold so i got mad.To fix it it costed me 70 pounds.
Another problem was starting the engine.If i'm lucky then it's gna take me 5 mins of constant kicking but if not then 15-30.Not the best way how to start a day.Ohh yes and it's small as f.I'm 6.1f tall and i have to sit at passenger seat.

So i decided to buy a new proper 125 scoot.

After going through chinese bike (brand new) i decided to get a proper brand bike
Went through alot of them but they were or to ugly looking or 50 cc or over 125cc (im on provisional) or way to expensive.
And then completley accidently i saw AD at youtube about honda scooters.So i clicked and i found honda PCX 125 2600 pounds and i was like thats it,it's mine.
So after few phone calls and visits i ordered one.Next saturday i will get my baby home.Damm I'm so happy.

But i have couple questions.

From honda dealer to my town distance is 40 miles and it's dual car way.I read through all 45 pages on this forum and alot ppl say what you can't(or better don't) go over 45 mph for first 1000 miles.Is that true?Or can i do 1 small exeption just to get home safely?

Second.I'm pretty tall. 6.1 foot tall.How it will be like?I know hump is removable but i don't have money right now for this kind of things.

Third.Insurance. I have now insurance for my 50 cc.Should i just cancel it or there is another way round?Will it cost me any extra?

Power.I know alot of ppls will say what it's pretty powerfull but how much?can let's say i go around randebout twist a handlebar to max and fall of?

And i think thats it.Thenky wery much guys for all good tips on this forum.I'm sure i gna be happy bunny with this scoot.I can imaging waking up in morning without thinking how to start my scoot.

And yes sorry for my english once again.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: Yes yes yes!Almost new driver!

Post by DAB »

RobiX wrote:
From honda dealer to my town distance is 40 miles and it's dual car way.I read through all 45 pages on this forum and alot ppl say what you can't(or better don't) go over 45 mph for first 1000 miles.Is that true?Or can i do 1 small exeption just to get home safely?

Second.I'm pretty tall. 6.1 foot tall.How it will be like?I know hump is removable but i don't have money right now for this kind of things.

Third.Insurance. I have now insurance for my 50 cc.Should i just cancel it or there is another way round?Will it cost me any extra?
RobiX. I think in the manual it says go easy for the first 600 miles. I have also read somewhere 300 km? Anyway I took mine to 60 mph on occasions, on the flat. Just don't use full throttle.

Yes you will have to change your insurance, contact your company, and it will cost more.

Take it easy and ride safe.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
scisor34
Regular User
Regular User

Post by scisor34 »

The main thing about breaking in an engine is not to run it at the same rpm for an extended period of time. Warm it up and run it through the entire rpm range. Yes this means wide open throttle at times. Don't be afraid to let 'er rip (as much as you can with this small of an engine). The whole "no more than half throttle" thing is a bunch of BS.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

What is done in the first service apart from changing oil?
I've done about 300km and 1st service is at 1000km.
I'm eager to change the oil and then stop nursing it.
RobiX

Post by RobiX »

scisor34 wrote:The main thing about breaking in an engine is not to run it at the same rpm for an extended period of time. Warm it up and run it through the entire rpm range. Yes this means wide open throttle at times. Don't be afraid to let 'er rip (as much as you can with this small of an engine). The whole "no more than half throttle" thing is a bunch of BS.
So going 60mph will do no harm to small 125cc engine?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

OK, let me put my 2 cents worth in and first of all agree with what as been said so far. Do not be afraid of this bike. It is sturdy and Honda builds a product that is hard to break. When you are first breaking it in you can go max throttle for a very short time because the engine is 'seating' and getting use to running with all of the parts as a single unit. When I first brought mine home I kept up with traffic at 55 mph for a short distance. No harm whatsoever. As it breaks in it gets faster, so don't be upset if you only get 55 out of it at first. As for the first service at 600 miles, that entails an oil change and valve adjustment. It is hard to get to the valves, so that is the part that will cost the most. Almost all of the plastic has to come off in order to get to it. It is advisable to get the valves adjusted the first and possibly the second service. After that, forget it. They aren't going to move. There are links on this forum on not only how to take off the "Tupperware", but also how to do the valve adjustment. You could become service poor if you had Honda do everything during each and every service. So, good luck, and enjoy yourself. You will find the Honda PCX to be a beautiful and fun machine...and it is dependable, like most Honda built machines.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:OK, let me put my 2 cents worth in and first of all agree with what as been said so far. Do not be afraid of this bike. It is sturdy and Honda builds a product that is hard to break. When you are first breaking it in you can go max throttle for a very short time because the engine is 'seating' and getting use to running with all of the parts as a single unit. When I first brought mine home I kept up with traffic at 55 mph for a short distance. No harm whatsoever. As it breaks in it gets faster, so don't be upset if you only get 55 out of it at first. As for the first service at 600 miles, that entails an oil change and valve adjustment. It is hard to get to the valves, so that is the part that will cost the most. Almost all of the plastic has to come off in order to get to it. It is advisable to get the valves adjusted the first and possibly the second service. After that, forget it. They aren't going to move. There are links on this forum on not only how to take off the "Tupperware", but also how to do the valve adjustment. You could become service poor if you had Honda do everything during each and every service. So, good luck, and enjoy yourself. You will find the Honda PCX to be a beautiful and fun machine...and it is dependable, like most Honda built machines.
Agree with with you but does the 600 mile service really have a valve adjustment? I thought it was a check over and an oil change?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't the bike be perfect if honda had just popped on a couple of hydraulic lifters. No need to worry about adjustment or plastic removal then
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150
Color: Red

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Yes the first service really does include a valve adjustment. You really don't need to remove lots. Just remove the bucket under the seat and the battery box. From there you can do what you need. A little more cramped mind you but easy.
wingz
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Dark Silver

Post by wingz »

I don't have to pay for labour on my 1st 4 services. :)
Dunno if that is normal.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It certainly wasn't NORMAL to get free servicing. I think Honda makes much of its money from servicing. I haven't known of anyone who ever got free servicing beyond a possible free 1st service as a way to close a sale.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

henrydjunaedi

Post by henrydjunaedi »

I'm pretty sure it's very normal in Indonesia, to get the first 4 service free of labor charge. The only condition is that you have to bring it in before it passed certain mileages.
Down here, labor charge for service is about 5 GBP or 8 USD. And it's considered very expensive by many motorcycle users, which usually pay only 1.5 GBP or 2.5 USD

My experience when I got my PCX, the alarm control in the dash panel broke down, after few months of usage. It was replaced by Honda for free because of the warranty. The engine is pretty solid, there has not been any issue for almost 2 years. I combined slow and high speed riding during the first few hundreds miles. High speed as in 60-68 mph. I even went 75 mph once or twice.
RobiX

Post by RobiX »

So finally ive got it.
Pic says it's 217 miles but now it's 620miles after todays 150mile trip.

And now i have some questions.
1- Is that ok to miss first 600 miles service for extra 100 miles?
2- After 1st service will anything change?I mean handling performance and so on?
3- how acurate Speedometer is?
4- Top box- I saw manual how to fit Givi top box but it requares hole drilling and panel removals.Is there any top box where i don't have to remove panels or drill holes?
5-After how many miles i can go full throttle?Manual says 300miles,guy from honda said 200miles,someone on forum said it's 600 miles.And what will happen if i will go full throttle first 100 miles for example?

And thats it's

Got 600 miles so far in 1 week.Scooter is awesome!No problems at all.Only my full face helmet dosn't fit under seat but it's not that bad.And again scoot is awesome!!
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

RobiX wrote:Image

So finally ive got it.

2- After 1st service will anything change?I mean handling performance and so on?
4- Top box- I saw manual how to fit Givi top box but it requares hole drilling and panel removals.Is there any top box where i don't have to remove panels or drill holes?
5-After how many miles i can go full throttle?Manual says 300miles,guy from honda said 200miles,someone on forum said it's 600 miles.And what will happen if i will go full throttle first 100 miles for example?

And thats it's

Got 600 miles so far in 1 week.Scooter is awesome!No problems at all.Only my full face helmet dosn't fit under seat but it's not that bad.And again scoot is awesome!!
1st. I did my 1st service at 800 miles. 100 miles won't make any differance.
2nd. The 1st service is about checking nothing is loose or out of adjustment . The engine oil is changed and depending who you speak to adjusting the valve clearances. My ones weren't done but the throttle and combi brake cables were adjusted.
3rd. The speedo on my bike is about 5 mph high at 55mph.
4th. I believe the top box mount has to be bolted to the mounts under the rear grab handle so the rear panel has to be drilled. Not as hard as you thing as there is a marking on the bottom of the panel. If a hole cutter is used its a piece of cake.
5th. I rode it like I stole it from about 100 miles. If your sensible there's nothing wrong with full thottle but don't max out the revs untill the 1st service is done.

Hope this a help.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Alibally wrote:
RobiX wrote:Image

So finally ive got it.

And thats it's

1st. I did my 1st service at 800 miles. 100 miles won't make any differance.
2nd. The 1st service is about checking nothing is loose or out of adjustment . The engine oil is changed and depending who you speak to adjusting the valve clearances. My ones weren't done but the throttle and combi brake cables were adjusted.
3rd. The speedo on my bike is about 5 mph high at 55mph.
4th. I believe the top box mount has to be bolted to the mounts under the rear grab handle so the rear panel has to be drilled. Not as hard as you thing as there is a marking on the bottom of the panel. If a hole cutter is used its a piece of cake.
5th. I rode it like I stole it from about 100 miles. If your sensible there's nothing wrong with full thottle but don't max out the revs untill the 1st service is done.

Hope this a help.
Curious about the "I rode it like I (had) stole(n) it". Sounds really macho, is different to the usual 55mph on the flat maybe 60mph downhill stuff.

Was there a wot involved?
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

Yes.
GeezyRider
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeezyRider »

RobiX there great instructions in the "How To" section of this site for installing a top box. If you don't want to remove the panel and drill holes, there are a lot of soft luggage options (tail bags, saddlebags, etc.) that can be strapped over and under the seat.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I was a little afraid when it came to drilling my panel for the top box, which is not really what the drilling is about. The Givi top box uses a rack that attaches to the rear of the bike through the holes drilled into the panel. When I popped off my back panel I broke it...oops. I glued the pieces together and ordered another panel for about $15 . it was cheap... As for drilling the holes, if you turn the panel over you will see that Honda put the outline of the holes where they need to be drilled out. That part was easy. Keep in mind that the rack is sold separately from the top box. They do that because the rack will allow various sizes of boxes to be interchanged. That means if you buy a box for your helmet and a friend has one that fits 2 helmets, his box could fit on your rack...all of this is dependent on which of the Givi type boxes you buy. They have Monolock and Monokey. They don't interchange with each other. Monokey is the least expensive but work well on scooters. Keep in mind that they are not 'cheap' either in cost or material. They can handle a lot of abuse and they lock. That is important. They lock. That means they can't be ripped off easily, if at all. We have them on both of our bikes. They are World Famous, so they do it right. Our helmets didn't fit under our seats very well so we bought the top boxes and now everything is great. We can carry groceries and all sorts of other items with ease.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150