2014 Honda PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: 2014 Honda PCX

Post by maddiedog »

WhiteNoise wrote:It's the bum! Morph's got a big bum. A very useful one. It's such a homely scoot but I've always liked it. I see it as the Cadillac ride of scooters. Now that's a lowrider! How about this one for your wife Mel? I never rode one, but I hear it's smooth.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
redwind
Communocrat
Communocrat

Post by redwind »

I really like the 'upgrades' to this scooter in 2014. In fact, i'd say these 'upgrades' should have been included in past models given that the technology was about and some of the superficial 'upgrades' should be the minimum - like the hazard lights, seats that stayed up when lifted, and LED lights. But i suppose if they included these, then they really would have to think up something significant in 2014 and future years to get people to dump their existing bikes and buy the latest. Capitalist cunts.

Seat Hump.....

I'm really comfortable with the seat hump in the 2013 model - which is my first bike ever. It's nice to sit with your feet propped up whilst grounding yourself against the hump. Kind of makes you, um, grounded, whilst riding. As I was a new rider last year, that was really reassuring and helped to maintain my stability that passed on to my being stable at throttle control and consistency. Now, i'm just comfortable with it.

I thought of upgrading to the latest 2014 model, but i wish that Honda had just given people the option of removing the hump if they wanted to whilst giving them some sort of a piece to slot into the space once the hump was removed.

Looks.....

As for the new design. I don't like it at all. It makes it really sharp, aggressive, and gives it as 'in your face' aura - as if we don't have enough of that in the media and life in general these days. But i suppose it is a product of these times. However, if i go for it, it would be the other upgrades like efficient fuel consumption, increase in fuel tank capacity, and the hazard lights - that warn people that i'm going to stop and go on to the pavement instead of signalling left which gives people the impression that i'm turning left on the next road. ;)
Attachments
IMG_0342-small.jpg
IMG_0342-small.jpg (377.4 KiB) Viewed 1623 times
A 'real' bike is one with which you have to jump through hoops to get it to do what a scoot does with a twist
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Dave, my wife loved that utube video you linked too! Before I got to that part of this thread she had already told me that the Morph had too much butt and looked ugly. Then I played the video and she cracked up!
OK, now I have something serious to ask you folks on this forum, though. My wife feels like I may be too old and too sick to ride my Burgman 400 much longer, and she is suggesting that I trade it for a PCX 150. I love my Burgman, but I am wondering if she might be right. What do you guys think? I will be 68 this year and I have leukemia. Should I just ride my 400 until I can't any more, or should I drop down to a smaller bike? I am open to discussion on this.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Mel46 wrote:What do you guys think? I will be 68 this year and I have leukemia. Should I just ride my 400 until I can't any more, or should I drop down to a smaller bike?
Age shouldn't make a difference. My guess would be that your ability to balance the bike would be the issue. I am not sure how the leukemia has affected you physically, but that may be the bigger issue regarding your ability to control the bike.

The other thing is that your wife likely knows you even better than you know youself. I would take her input seriously. As well, if she is concerned about your ability to handle the larger bike, will it be a distraction to her when you are out riding together. If she is worried about you, she may become a distracted drive of her own bike, and I am sure that you don't want that.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

You're Asking, So You Have A Pretty Good Idea Your Wife IS Right ;)

Sorry to read about your illness, life is a bit of a struggle as we move forward (those Golden Years :roll: right!) We know we have to pay more attention to what our bodies are telling us And to listen to those that Know and Love us! Yep, we get caught up in the rapture of enjoyment and plum forget our ailments. I confess, I'm soo guilty. As kram mentioned if your balance is affected & if the Burger now seems heavy, even scary then yes, It's time to "Make That Change."
Here's my say, Sell or Trade in that beloved Burger and get yourself a Spanky New 2015 (USA edition) "White" PCX 150! When you two ride down the street on twin scoots you'll look that much happier & (cuter) together....but more importantly Safer. You'll be making the right move for yourself and your lovely wife. Remove fear and You will both be more confident and enjoy Your rides so much more....you'll see ;)
My vote is in :D Put your order in!
(Ahh remember, White is Bright :P )
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Dave, my wife loved that utube video you linked too! Before I got to that part of this thread she had already told me that the Morph had too much butt and looked ugly. Then I played the video and she cracked up!
OK, now I have something serious to ask you folks on this forum, though. My wife feels like I may be too old and too sick to ride my Burgman 400 much longer, and she is suggesting that I trade it for a PCX 150. I love my Burgman, but I am wondering if she might be right. What do you guys think? I will be 68 this year and I have leukemia. Should I just ride my 400 until I can't any more, or should I drop down to a smaller bike? I am open to discussion on this.
If you are 67 isn't life to valuable to be asking us our opinions

Or at any age?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think all of you are correct that I dont see what my wife sees. I have wanted a Burgman for many years and when I got it I felt like I had finally gotten my dream machine. I love that machine but I have been noticing some changes in me that are starting to scare me. I dont think age is as much the issue as my balance and ability to hold up that little monter. It weights over 400 pounds, and that makes it difficult to turn sharp corners, or wrestle it out of the carport. I like riding her pcx but it doesnt seem to have much power. My wife says that we need to buy another pcx and get big bore kits for both. I guess I would be game for that. We might be able to get a good deal on a 2013 pcx when the new 2015 models come out in July. I know what I want for my Burgman, and someone will get a very good deal on it. I have dropped it twice, neither time at a speed above 2 miles per hour. The first time, I was wahing it and it fell over. I guess I didnt have the side stand completely locked. The second time, I was coming out of a gas station, hit the brakes while waiting for traffic, and when I started up again I was in the middle of chicken feed and started sliding all over. Whenit decided to fall over I couldnt hold it up. I was almost completely stopped but it was out of balance and I just couldnt keep it from falling. That was when my wife first suggested that I sell it and get a smaller bike. Since then she has seen how hard it is to make narrow turns, or hold it on a slanted hill. Then I came close to dropping it when she was on the back because the center stand sank into the asphalt and I couldnt get it unstuck. So, maybe it is time.....
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Yea! My patience paid off! I got my white PCX in the states....finally! Wooooohoooo! Actually, I just heard the news....haven't checked when they'll be available. On train now....
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

A couple of other things I forgot to mention: I have had 5 major back surgeries and have just gone through a neck procedure caused by the same accident in the military. I have a spinal cord stimulator implant also, to help control my pain. So I guess my wife may be right when she worries about my riding.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

MiddleRiverPCX
Color: Red

Post by MiddleRiverPCX »

Honda's US website lists 2013 and 2015 model years. I suspect the distribution system in the US has a number of 2013 bikes they want to sell, and might delay the updated model in the US a bit.
Ton1984

Post by Ton1984 »

Just pre-ordered new 2014 model pcx125 in grey color with honda Chiswick London :D They say will arrive on the end of the month. Paid over 400 pound deposit. C U on the road ;)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ton1984 wrote:Just pre-ordered new 2014 model pcx125 in grey color with honda Chiswick London :D They say will arrive on the end of the month. Paid over 400 pound deposit. C U on the road ;)

Excellent. Post some pictures when you can?
Ton1984

Post by Ton1984 »

no problem :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Ton1984 wrote:Just pre-ordered new 2014 model pcx125 in grey color with honda Chiswick London :D They say will arrive on the end of the month. Paid over 400 pound deposit. C U on the road ;)
How much - full price or discount? Is this the site > http://www.chiswickbike.com/honda/new-h ... pcx125.htm
Ton1984

Post by Ton1984 »

Full price 2,699 and 404,84 it is deposit. Get in to this link and you have all figures for new model and old one to.
http://www.chiswickhonda.com/motorcycles/offers/pcx125/
ChesneyHawkes

Post by ChesneyHawkes »

Ton1984 wrote:Full price 2,699 and 404,84 it is deposit. Get in to this link and you have all figures for new model and old one to.
http://www.chiswickhonda.com/motorcycles/offers/pcx125/
Wow, glad I'm not back in the UK. That's a grand more than I've paid for mine her in Thailand. I know there's the whole export/VAT thing, but a seriously big price differential.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

More to it than just cost comparison.
How do average earnings compare?
In the UK a PCX costs less than three months average salary.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Ton1984 wrote:Full price 2,699 and 404,84 it is deposit. Get in to this link and you have all figures for new model and old one to. http://www.chiswickhonda.com/motorcycles/offers/pcx125/
Can only find details of the old one there, but yes, this place and http://www.hgbmotorcycles.co.uk/ both quoted me the recommended price (never seems to be much if any competition as everywhere sells for the same price). I also asked about them supplying a new 2014 PCX service manual (for cost) but they were reluctant - said it's all going on line now. Hope to get a service manual for the new range thought as I'm not sure how access to the valves compares to the old model - probably loads of panels still need to come off - or perhaps the 'seat area' trick suggested may work.
ChesneyHawkes

Post by ChesneyHawkes »

gn2 wrote:More to it than just cost comparison.
How do average earnings compare?
In the UK a PCX costs less than three months average salary.
I'm on a UK salary in Thailand paying Thai taxes so it costs me less than a month's salary. If I was on a local salary it'd come to about three months pay. I guess I claiming the salary from one country and paying the costs of the other.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

But how does your salary compare to average earnings in Thailand?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong