security for PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

security for PCX

Post by iceman »

Ok, so I'm showing my ignorance here but I've been searching for a good disc for the PCX (not bought yet) and seaches mostly show the XENA XZZ6-Y 6MM or the XENA XX6 6MM, both have similar specs although the later is twice the price, not sure why or what the difference is. However, are these good and reliable or are there better 6mm locks? Larger pins are better and Thacham approved, but it seems 6mm is the limit for scooters and the PCX?

I thought I would get a minimum or a good disc lock (say when parked in store car-park) and good chain for home and perhaps also when at a store, but most motorcycle parking at large supermarkets does not seem to have a means to lock the chain to anything. At home rather than a ground anchor I was going to chain the bike to the tow-bar (rear facing the house on the drive). Seems just as good to me.

I was going to get the grip lock too for extra security when shopping, but some reviews say they have had the lock mechanism fail or keys break off, so the grip-lock does not seem a good idea.

Thanks for any advice, I've only taken my CBT test on a scooter, never ridden before and not for six months since the test, so a little vague and also a little nervous about getting back on a bike, albeit a PCX which I hope to purchase soon!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: security for PCX

Post by iceman »

Anyone using a thicker U-lock around the front / rear wheel rather than the smaller 6mm tiny disk-lock? An 11mm U-lock seems to be Thatcham approved compared to the tiny 6mm disk locks, and I'd imagine would fit with no issue?
adambee

Re: security for PCX

Post by adambee »

DC is not known for its low crime rates, but I just keep mine in the backyard with the handlebars locked, and then I use a Xena disc alarm lock if I park it somewhere public at night or if it's a little sketchy. I also carry a long cable lock but I haven't used it yet in the 3 months I've been carrying it.