Torn between the SYM citycom 300 and Honda PCX

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Torn between the SYM citycom 300 and Honda PCX

Post by Vagabondman »

While I had time to kill waiting for the "possible" announcement of the new 2014 PCX 150 here in the US...I decided to visit a local SYM dealer. Well, the SYM citycom 300 kinda caught my eye. Still in love with the PCX....but now I'm torn btwn these two.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Torn between the SYM citycom 300 and Honda PCX

Post by you you »

Have one of each?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Depend wht you'll use it for.
If you want to go longer distances at higher speeds the Sym is the one.
If you want a city runabout, the PCX.
If there s a Kymco dealer nearby, look at a Downtown its better than both.
Is the Kawasaki J300 in the US yet?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

I've looked at the Kymco Downtown, as good as it might be, it is absolutely the worst for tall riders. The seating position forces the knees into the front dash. Just not a good fit for me at least.
arpiggies

Post by arpiggies »

J300 is indeed nice.

The Forza is your best choice for larger displacement. It's a shame Honda made it so unnecessarily bulktacular and limited it to red only in the states.
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

Vagabondman wrote:While I had time to kill waiting for the "possible" announcement of the new 2014 PCX 150 here in the US...I decided to visit a local SYM dealer. Well, the SYM citycom 300 kinda caught my eye. Still in love with the PCX....but now I'm torn btwn these two.
get a PCX! that is why you are here right? :roll: 8) Just buy a used or new 2013 and paint it white or replace the panels if you need to have White! :lol:
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Lol. I will probably end up doing that Dash! The PCX is my first choice. I guess while I was waiting(um more like hoping) for the 2014 PCX here in the states, I took the time to explore other possibilities. But in the end, I keep going back to the PCX. Yeah, white would be my first choice, but I do like the black as well. So in the end, I wouldn't go thru the effort to replace panels. I'd be happy with black.

As far as the changes to the 2014 model, In the end, I can live without...plus the seat is easy enough to change.

I still have a couple months here in NY before I buy...so I'm just having fun entertaining my options. Thanks for all the advice & feedback tho.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

What about a People GTi 300?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

If this means anything, I have both a PCX 150 and a Burgman 400. Here is the difference between them. The PcX is ideal for moving in and out of traffic and turning in tight turns such as city traffic. The Burgman is ideal for commuting where most of the travelling is on fast access straight roads and non congested areas with somewhat wide turns onto side streets. Its top end is quite a bit higher than the PCX, and it has a high comfort rating for the rider. By comparison, we had to change out the seat on our PCX in order to be more comfortable. However, it zips through traffic quite easily and has great acceleration. Even though its top end is not as good as the 400, it does top out at 67 mph, which is great for a small commuter bike. We changed out the wind screen as well, and added a tail box for extra storage after losing some on the custom seat. Now it is ideal for my wife as we go on long rides. I still can not make tight turns like she can, and never will be able to on the Burgman. So, if you want a scooter that can turn tight turns like a sports car, get a PCX. If you just need good top end, any 300 cc or better will do. Maintenance costs will get you on the PCX unless you learn to do your own though....just like ink jet printers and ink cartridges.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

This thread needs pics :D All so purdy ;)
Attachments
Kymco Downtown 300
Kymco Downtown 300
image.jpg (44.91 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Sym Citycom 300
Sym Citycom 300
image.jpg (123.16 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Kawasaki J300
Kawasaki J300
image.jpg (67.67 KiB) Viewed 1589 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Fizzy Rascal
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 (2015)
Color: White

Post by Fizzy Rascal »

WhiteNoise wrote:This thread needs pics :D All so purdy ;)
All nice . . . but none as 'pretty' as a PCX in my opinion. :)
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Well, it must be a sign from Gawd. I spent all night researching the different options mentioned here. The kymco downtown, Kawasaki j300, the SYM CityCom etc etc. Not to mention the PCX itself which I've been lusting after for well over a year now.

The funny thing? I live out on Long Island & work in NYC, and I have not ONCE....seen a PCX. Not parked. Not riding by. Not on the island or the city. EVER. Not even in any of the local scooter shop showrooms(which by the way are surprisingly lacking round here!). I'm totally serious.

Then this morning it happened. Bleary eyed & tired from a long night of research, I stumbled outside into the cold morning to walk across the street to buy some eggs for breakfast(I hate when I forget to check the fridge at night!)

Anyway....that's when I saw IT. Heard it first actually. The unmistakable sound of a scooter engine growing louder. As I looked up, there speeding past me was a rather large gentleman riding atop a red PCX! I didn't even have time to wave or give a thumbs up! I rubbed my eyes, and watched it disappear down the road.

Suddenly i was awake tho. Smiling like an idiot as I retrieved my eggs, I knew. It was a sign from the scooter gods above. My decision had been made. The PCX was the scoot for me. :-)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well I live in Atlanta and I haven't seen very many on the road, and only 1 or 2 in showrooms. However, that doesn't mean they aren't out there. It is a big city. What do you suppose the chances are of meeting someone else with one are? That is why this forum exists.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Oh I agree. That's why I gravitated toward this forum. Much like a gravitated towards the PCX soon as I saw it. It just looks different from most scooters. I may not have seen many(one so far) where I live, but I know they are out there. Besides...it'll be nice to turn some heads soon as I nab one. Got a tip this morning there may be an announcement from Honda USA in May. Not holding me breath, but as I was planning to buy one around then...heh heh heh.
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

I dont think I could ride a scooter with that pizza delivery or 'granny' look (Honda SH125)
It has to have the same stlying lines of the PCX or its a non starter, so to speak.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

Ha Granny look. I know what ya mean. Although, a lot of my surfing buddies rode around on em when I lived out in Cali. Here in NY I'd call it more of that yuppie metrosexual look. Or that Italian hipster vespa look doing the half wave thing & yelling ciao Bella! When riding past sexy women. Nothing wrong with that. Lol.

But like you, I prefer the sportier styling lines of the PCX. Just looks cooler.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The SH was supposed to be slightly more powerful and have a higher top end than the PCX - 70+ rather than 65 ish, but now it has the new style PCX engine and weighs a bit more, that has probably changed. I used to like the dash of the older style and the small smoke effect windscreen (looks rather than function), but the dash has changed and I don't believe the screen is included anymore. Still, new PCX it is - only decision is white or red - still not sure.

I would not mind using the Citycom or Kawasaki for commuting - they look ok to me.