first service cost

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX_LosAngelesRider

first service cost

Post by PCX_LosAngelesRider »

This discussion was already taking place in another thread I created, but wanted to create a new thread so about it with the topic being in the subject.

I'm coming up on 500 miles soon and need to get my PCX serviced.

The dealership that I bought the bike from told me that it would cost $315! 8(

That's insane.

$315 is way out of my comfort zone. Maybe $100 would be fine, but $315!

Does this sound way to high or is this normal?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: first service cost

Post by gn2 »

Compared to UK prices it's completely outrageous.
Fear not though, it's quite easy to do it yourself if you know what a spanner does and can tell one end of a screwdriver from the other :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

Mate,that does sound very high,the only thing i can think of is there allowing to remove body work etc to do a vavle check,but even so it still sounds excesive
over here its varies depending what the dealer does,my first service (600m) was aroung the £50 pound mark,less than 1 litre of oil and their time basically......also as per one of my previous posts,check the oil cold next day,mine was overfilled by 200ml!!

good luck :o
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

That's normal pricin for CA. Did u see my post about consumer laws for the USA? I would save a TON of cash and buy some good tools instead :).
PCX_LosAngelesRider

Post by PCX_LosAngelesRider »

thanks for the responses everyone. Eddie I saw your comment on consumer warranty, and it was very helpful! I decided that I am just going to do my own service.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Good to hear! Let me know when ur going to do your service and I'll join you! I can bring all the tools u need including tools to remove the plastic and we could knock it out real quick. Also, I have a service manual you're welcome to use at any time. I'm in koreatown area code 90020.

Look forward to doing some servicing, if not some riding with you!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

From the other thread...
maddiedog wrote:My first service cost $260, so $315 sounds to be in the right ballpark. Eddie's got a service manual I'm sure he'll lend you since you're close -- that way you can be sure you don't accidentally miss something. You can do all your own maintenance and Honda will still hold the warranty, but you have to prove you've done it and that you know what you're doing (or so has been said elsewhere, I haven't confirmed this). Either way, my scooter is in having the engine block replaced under warranty, and I did the 2nd service myself. They had no issue with that.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

also from the other thread, my post about consumer law for the USA
EddieC wrote:There are laws that are specific to the USA that heavily protects the consumer on waranty claims. This is generally why warranties are shorter in the US for the same products offered internationally. True, if you were in the UK they can void your warranty and insurance claims for the most bizarre reasons.

However, Don't worry about doing your own service yourself in the USA. This WILL NOT void your waranty. The only way that honda can get out of a waranty claim in the USA is if they can PROOVE that is was your direct action that caused a service item failure. I've known many people who do their own maintenance with their brand new bikes from day one and rarely ever hear of hickups with honda trying to get out of it. Usually, honda asks a whole bunch of questions and takes a lot of pictures, and have never asked my dad, or any of his or my friends to proove that the service was done correctly by a certified mechanic. If YOU were the one to mess it up, they would probably be able to tell.

If you need re-assurance that doing your own maintenance (in the USA) will not void your warranty, look up United States consumer law. Also, CA has EVEN MORE laws to protect the consumer that surpass federal standards.

So ya, if you feel like paying the dealer, by all means do! We are lucky to have some of the nations best technitions in our area with over 300 sunny days a year and high riding population. But if your in the USA, you're not going to void your warranty by doing your own servicing, so don't let that be a deterrant if you would like to learn how to do it yourself. The first few services are EASY and CHEAP do do oneself. Removing the plastics is the hardest part. I've done it 4 times so far so if. you want me to drop by I can show you how to easily remove the plastics and how to do your first four services.
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Just some information for you guys... Got first service done for $165 at the dealer. After that I have done my last two services. Spent a lot less and I know the job is done right.
Yogibabu

Post by Yogibabu »

The first service should not cost more then 200$ PERIOD !!!!!!!
I always do first serv at a dealer after that they never see me again I do all the work my self.
Dealers are the second biggest crooks in the world after insurance companies !!!
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

I paid £75 for the first service, then £60 for the 2500 miles service, everythng has been spot on with the bike for the duration. the mechanic even siad that she ran well when testing her. :)
it tastes like...Eagle!
The_Head

Post by The_Head »

Instead of making another thread, I will bump this one. Any idea how much it will be for the PCX150? Is the engine pretty much the same as the 125's?
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

My first service for my former Elite 110 and my PCX 125 were around $220. About $50 for oil change (which I just learned is super easy to do yourself) and valves which are around $170. Of course, add sales tax.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The_Head wrote:Instead of making another thread, I will bump this one. Any idea how much it will be for the PCX150? Is the engine pretty much the same as the 125's?
There shouldn't be any difference between an original 125 and an esp 150 unless Honda have changed the valve clearance check interval.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
super_g

Post by super_g »

I was quoted $180 for first service. I did it my self but think I'll take it to the dealer next time because it took me most of the day.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

1st service done yesterday. Total cost £127.81 of which £89.10 was labour which involves all that plastics removal. But it's the VAT that really kills it for me. I saw the chart which shows how much Honda suggest the services should cost...and it's nearly double for the 1st service.

Bill
Image[/URL
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Theboybilly wrote:1st service done yesterday. Total cost £127.81 of which £89.10 was labour which involves all that plastics removal. But it's the VAT that really kills it for me. I saw the chart which shows how much Honda suggest the services should cost...and it's nearly double for the 1st service.

Bill

Oof

Mine cost about £5
FritzPinguin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013 PCX150
Color: Red

Post by FritzPinguin »

In April I paid for the first service 230 Baht, which is about 5.75 Euros. No labour cost, just the oil. :)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Sounds ridiculously expensive to me, too. First service cost me under 50€. In the second one I'll request the valve adjustment to be done, and see how much they charge for it.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

I dont see how your parts could be any more than $5. The ONLY thing you need to replace is the oil... thats it.