The only luck I have, is bad luck.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

The only luck I have, is bad luck.

Post by katschamne »

I swear I would have no luck if I didn't have bad luck. After I first bought the PCX in the middle of July, I had to wait 2 weeks until I took my MSF. While taking the course I dropped the motorcycle on my foot and broke it. I was unable to ride it for 6 weeks. When I started to ride around 450 mile I started to get a belt squeal and took it back to the dealer. They couldn't find anything wrong so I took it home. The following week I had it back to the dealer again for the same problem. They found out the problem and fixed it but it took 2 weeks to get it back. I was able to ride it another 100 miles just in time for winter storage and first service on the scooter.

It's been a cold harsh winter here in Chicago so last Friday I was finally able to take it out of storage. Sunday was a descent day here in the upper 50's. Hubby on his brand new Kawasaki Vaquero and I on the PCX went out for a ride. We had a nice ride and rode about 150 miles round trip. Everything was great until 3 miles from home when a woman pulled out from a parking lot and didn't stop at the stop sign. I tried to avoid the accident but came up short and went down. I love her question to me. I got, "Where were you coming from" ....down the street that you pulled onto without stopping. Then she said "I didn't see your lights on. Are you sure they were on?"...Yup if the scooter is on then the lights are on. As you can see the scooter is still running and it has lights. She did get the ticket for "failure to yield right away". I ended my trip with a ride in the ambulance that ended in the ER for 4 hours. I was very lucky. I had all my riding gear on. Helmet, leather jacket, gloves and long pants and boots.

I ended up with a very bruised, swollen and scrape knee, a bit of road rash on my hip from where my jacket came up and the pants went down. I have a small scrape on my forearm from the jacket and not sure about my shoulder. The ER said I had fractured my scapula and I had a chunk missing on the top of my shoulder. The orthopedic said he saw what looks like it might be a fracture but he was more worried that I might have tore my rotator cuff. I have to get an MRI to find out what is going on. Until then I'm off work. Every part of my body hurts.

The PCX mechanically is fine and even the scratches aren't that bad. Although they will replace everything that is scratched since when I left the house there wasn't one scratch on it. Hubby will drive it up to the dealer on Saturday for her repairs. I have a feeling that it will be awhile before I will be able to get back to riding again.
willajabir
Regular User
Regular User

Re: The only luck I have, is bad luck.

Post by willajabir »

Kat,
Glad you are semi-OK. Better to read about it here than in the news media. Get well quick....
Larry
2014 NSS300E born on 12/11/13
May the Forza be with you

my Forza pics: http://tinyurl.com/o9hqc4o
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

So sorry you had to go through all that! I hope all is well with your shoulder and that you heal quickly. So very glad you are here to share with us.
Vagabondman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Vagabondman »

That sure is a rotten streak of luck Kat. But when you think about it, you're lucky to be alive after that drivers boneheaded move. So I guess you do have luck.:-)

The important thing is that you are ok. Rest up. Heal. Your PCX will be waiting for you by the time the weather gets really nice. ;-)
Ole
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Ole »

As a life long motorcyclist I have only one thing to say (maybe two)
ride as if you are invisible
many who drive cars are trying to kill us

glad you are still breathing
get well soon and jump back on that scooter!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Sorry to hear all the bad news - hope your recovery goes well.
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thank you for all your well wishes. I tell you I am so happy to be alive. It could have been a lot worse. First of all I had a feeling that she wasn't going to stop so therefore I wasn't going as fast as I could have. I'm also thankful that the driver behind me in the SUV was far enough behind me, so that I wasn't hit by them as well. I know it sounds a little weird, but I'm glad that my husband was behind the SUV so that he didn't actually see me go down. I would have hated to see my husband go down.

I know many people have ask me if I will ride again considering my luck so far. I plan to. I figured I could have just been as easily hit if I was a pedestrian. Funny thing Ole, I do ride as if I'm invisible. My husband really enjoys to ride and said it makes him feel relaxed. I always told him I'm not that comfortable riding because of all the idiots out on the road.

I call my scooter, My Little Pony especially now that my husbands motorcycle is a 1700cc. She'll be in her stall waiting for me to get better. By then she will be back to her old shinny new self again.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry to hear of your misfortune (to put it mildly). What bothers me about the account is that it appears that the driver of the car was looking for an excuse not to take responsibilities for her actions.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Wow! Why does this crap always seem to happen right around the block? The statistics are true, amazingly. Makes ya wanna go home a different way all the time or better yet, get dropped out of the sky onto your driveway. Geez! Sorry about that women jumping out on ya. She's a piece of work asking those dumb ass questions (sorry, but she is not Human to me!) Glad to hear that you haven't lost the will to ride but, maybe you should stop & ask yourself "If" you really should. That's how I've approached myself over the years....but guess what? I end up with the same self response. Saddle Up! Speedy recovery from all the bodily dings and dents. Rest a lot and get better!
Oh, forgot! Kudos on wearing All the gear!
:x Dang! Those blind drivers :x
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:Wow! Why does this crap always seem to happen right around the block? The statistics are true, amazingly. Makes ya wanna go home a different way all the time or better yet, get dropped out of the sky onto your driveway. Geez! Sorry about that women jumping out on ya. She's a piece of work asking those dumb ass questions (sorry, but she is not Human to me!) Glad to hear that you haven't lost the will to ride but, maybe you should stop & ask yourself "If" you really should. That's how I've approached myself over the years....but guess what? I end up with the same self response. Saddle Up! Speedy recovery from all the bodily dings and dents. Rest a lot and get better!
Oh, forgot! Kudos on wearing All the gear!
:x Dang! Those blind drivers :x

These things happen around the block because statically you either are coming from home, or going home on most journeys.

I'll be unpopular for saying it but ..more training or stay behind your partner until you gain experience?
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

katschamne wrote:Thank you for all your well wishes. I tell you I am so happy to be alive. It could have been a lot worse. First of all I had a feeling that she wasn't going to stop so therefore I wasn't going as fast as I could have. I'm also thankful that the driver behind me in the SUV was far enough behind me, so that I wasn't hit by them as well.
Way to look ahead and have a plan. Glad you took the MSF course.
6ftMach1Girl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by 6ftMach1Girl »

kramnala58 wrote:Sorry to hear of your misfortune (to put it mildly). What bothers me about the account is that it appears that the driver of the car was looking for an excuse not to take responsibilities for her actions.
Why I cover myself in hi-vis yellow. If they can't see me, they probably shouldn't be driving :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When my wife and I ride, we ride as a team. I am the experienced rider, but I can get into trouble just as well as a new rider. The difference is that I look for the trouble and anticipate the worst. My wife insists on riding ahead of me instead, but I can keep her a little in check by dropping back far enough in a situation that she will drop back to see what my problem is. Today we went on a ride and we were coming up on a curve in the road, but the road we wanted was a spur off of it at that point. It was a wierd setup so I slowed down. The oncoming traffic was suppose to stop and allow those going on the spur to have the right away. I think the spur was the NEW extension to the original road and straightened the once crooked road. In any case, a car was coming our way. We put our left turn signal on to let the oncoming vehicle know that we were taking that spur. We also pointed to that road with our left hands so that he knew we were going that way. What did the driver do? He pulled out in front of us! Luckily we had slowed because I sensed that things were not going to be smooth at this intersection. We hit the brakes and veered to the right, which sent us down the wrong road, but at least we didnt hit hit. We then pulled over and turned around while the idiot in the vehicle kept going. The moral of this story is, let the skilled ride lead the way. If not, then stay within arms reach of them so that others will see 2 riders. I am really, really glad that things were not worse for you. I also hope this does not deter you from riding. This is just one of those life lessons. This one taught you that when it comes to motorcycles, people are blind. Wear bright clothes and ride in pairs. Sorry for the big speel. I have riden for 50 years and I am still here because I see every person in a car as an idiot who has everything but driving on their mind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Kat, I'm glad to hear that you're OK and alive, all things considered. I remember your posts about the broken foot, and now this. I'm not even a year into my riding, and am getting more worried about what I hear happens not because of us, but because of others when they're driving. I don't want to give this up in the least, and everything we do carries risk, but hearing this happen to people on the board means it's only one degree away from me. Regardless, I do hope you get back in the saddle soon!
katschamne
Regular User
Regular User

Post by katschamne »

Thanks Mel. All day long my husband was in the lead but I took the lead at that point because he always misses the turn off to go home. We got separated when we turned. I got the green turn light and he got the red. Like I said it could have been worse because I did slow down when I saw her approach the street but then instead of stopping she just keep going. I almost missed her. Hind site being 20/20 I think of all the things I would've done differently but I will chalk it up to a very hard learning experience.

Today was my MRI and tomorrow I will get my results so that hopefully we can figure out what is actually wrong with my shoulder.
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

I use my horn alot
ImageImage
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

logepoge1 wrote:I use my horn alot

Rood and off topic
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There's the makings of a good country and western song in here.
Or maybe a whole blues album.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
logepoge1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by logepoge1 »

you you wrote:

Rood and off topic

How?
ImageImage
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

It's another name for the gentleman sausage.