Intro, and some questions!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

novapersona
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Intro, and some questions!

Post by novapersona »

Hello everybody, I'm a fairly new PSX rider; two weeks ago today, I rode off the dealership on my black 2015 PCX!
scooter.jpg
scooter.jpg (222.68 KiB) Viewed 1148 times
So far, I'm having a great time riding and am very impressed by the mileage! The computer calculates an average of 121 miles to the gallon!!! I wasn't expecting it to be this efficient, so that's certainly a pleasant surprise!

So I'm right at 600 miles in, and it's time for the first oil change and valve check. I'm thinking about doing the oil change myself, as it is pretty straight forward according to the manual and forum posts on here. The valve clearance, however, looks like quite a bit of work, so I might take it in to the dealership for that. The dealership quoted me around 350, although I think (I HOPE) this includes the oil change (I just asked for a quote for the 600 maintenance).

I've looked at the videos and manual screen shots for the procedure, and might eventually perform the clearance checks myself and get to know the machine better, but I'm thinking the first time should be at the dealership, unless I'm being charged too much. What should I expect to pay for the valve check?

Thanks in advance!
-Nova
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Intro, and some questions!

Post by gn2 »

Best to get the dealer to do the initial 600 mile service.
Done properly there's a whole lot more to it than an oil change and a valve clearance check.
There's a whole bunch of stuff which should get checked to make sure there weren't any boo-boos at the factory.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
mannyaguilar
Where - is - my - super - suit?
Where - is - my - super - suit?

Post by mannyaguilar »

novapersona wrote:Hello everybody, I'm a fairly new PSX rider; two weeks ago today, I rode off the dealership on my black 2015 PCX!
scooter.jpg
So far, I'm having a great time riding and am very impressed by the mileage! The computer calculates an average of 121 miles to the gallon!!! I wasn't expecting it to be this efficient, so that's certainly a pleasant surprise!

So I'm right at 600 miles in, and it's time for the first oil change and valve check. I'm thinking about doing the oil change myself, as it is pretty straight forward according to the manual and forum posts on here. The valve clearance, however, looks like quite a bit of work, so I might take it in to the dealership for that. The dealership quoted me around 350, although I think (I HOPE) this includes the oil change (I just asked for a quote for the 600 maintenance).

I've looked at the videos and manual screen shots for the procedure, and might eventually perform the clearance checks myself and get to know the machine better, but I'm thinking the first time should be at the dealership, unless I'm being charged too much. What should I expect to pay for the valve check?

Thanks in advance!
-Nova
Congratulations on your new PCX anbd aso on your great taste!
I am assuming you are very light (weight) since I am only getting 81 MPG on my new PCX150 just like yours. Of course I am on the chubby side and my scooter has only 100 miles.
Currently own: Black Honda PCX150 2015, Red Ural with sidecar 1996, Grey Piaggio MP3 400cc 2009.
novapersona

Post by novapersona »

Thanks! Great minds, no? Yeah, I'm a lightweight (~160 lbs). My commute is also along a couple of stretches of 30-50 mph roads, most of it at 45mph limit. I think I read on here that that happened to be the sweet spot when it comes to fuel efficiency. I was riding fairly conservative, leaning in at the higher speeds to reduce my cross-sectional drag (really to pretend I'm flying), and got 121 mvg avg. This week, I tried riding with fast acceleration from stops, sitting up against full wind, and still got 115+ mpg avg. At these numbers, the difference is minimal enough for me to ride however I feel like at the moment without having to worry about fuel consumption! I'll just keep monitoring it for performance, but I'm feeling pretty good about the engine in the machine (hasn't been christened with a name yet)!

I did the oil change myself, which was simple enough. Went with Lucas synthetic motorcycle oil, at the recommended viscosity. Performance seems to have stayed on point, no gains or losses felt, although higher speeds seem to feel smoother. Going to ask for a thorough inspection at the dealership otherwise. The combo brake feels a little loose after breaking it in, as I have to apply full pressure to keep from rolling even on the slightest inclines. The dealership asks for 110 per hour of labor, though! Is this normal, reasonable?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Best to get the dealer to do the initial 600 mile service.
Done properly there's a whole lot more to it than an oil change and a valve clearance check.
There's a whole bunch of stuff which should get checked to make sure there weren't any boo-boos at the factory.

Mines never been back to the dealer since it was ridden of the forecourt. Im sure the bike is well engineered enough that either way of doing things doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:Best to get the dealer to do the initial 600 mile service.

Mines never been back to the dealer since it was ridden of the forecourt. Im sure the bike is well engineered enough that either way of doing things doesn't make the slightest bit of difference.
Agreed! If you look after it regularly and give it regular tlc it'll look after you for many years to come. Otherwise if you look after it like #£2 you may end up with the thing falling apart withing couple of years and blame the scooter quality for it. No need to go back to stealership unless you're picking up new spare parts for DIY and it'll save you hundreds if not thousands over years to come.
Looks nice in black..
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

'The combo brake feels a little loose after breaking it in, as I have to apply full pressure to keep from rolling even on the slightest inclines' I don't like the CBS (or perhaps just the rear drum) as it does not seem that good at stopping unless pressed hard - the front is great, the rear has some effect but not much (I engine brake and gently slow down anyway, but from use the rear seems not much cop).
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Sounds like your rear drum needs adjusting, its a simple matter of turning the nut on the rod.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

iceman wrote:'The combo brake feels a little loose after breaking it in, as I have to apply full pressure to keep from rolling even on the slightest inclines' I don't like the CBS (or perhaps just the rear drum) as it does not seem that good at stopping unless pressed hard - the front is great, the rear has some effect but not much (I engine brake and gently slow down anyway, but from use the rear seems not much cop).
Place the scooter on the centre stand, keep turning the rear brake adjuster nut till stops the rear wheel from turning freely, then back of one turn to allow wheel to spin freely. Your brake lever will have a nice firm feel and you won't have to squeeze life from it to get good braking. Repeat this procedure every time you feel the brake leaver needs more tension.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Thanks! - I'll take a look.